Hood drains / popper strap !!

Started by BARNPOT2000, October 25, 2021, 12:53

BARNPOT2000

Hi all, I've just got around to flipping the air vets off and flushing the hood drains. They needed a clean but weren't too bad (broke two clips, as you do). Anyhow my query is related to the hood more than the drains I guess. As I was fettling around with my arm down from the inside to get to things I noticed there is a short popper tab/strap attached to one of the flaps of hood material behind the drain sack. It was not connected to anything and was hanging. I checked the other side and found the same type of tab on that side, again disconnected. On further investigation it appears that the tab should wrap around one of the hood bars that are nearby as the popper male and female parts are at either end of the short strap. Can anyone help by telling me what these tabs or straps should wrap around please? At the moment I left them as I found them... loose.
TF099 silver

Bossworld

Quote from: BARNPOT2000 on October 25, 2021, 12:53Hi all, I've just got around to flipping the air vets off and flushing the hood drains. They needed a clean but weren't too bad (broke two clips, as you do). Anyhow my query is related to the hood more than the drains I guess. As I was fettling around with my arm down from the inside to get to things I noticed there is a short popper tab/strap attached to one of the flaps of hood material behind the drain sack. It was not connected to anything and was hanging. I checked the other side and found the same type of tab on that side, again disconnected. On further investigation it appears that the tab should wrap around one of the hood bars that are nearby as the popper male and female parts are at either end of the short strap. Can anyone help by telling me what these tabs or straps should wrap around please? At the moment I left them as I found them... loose.

The strap puts a lot of tension on the hood but prevents the 'ears' sticking up effect when folded back.

Personally, given the time of year, I'd wait until Spring before attempting to refit (the hood should be a bit more supple in the warmer weather).

From memory it feeds though a channel in the hood lining and then ties around a metal bar at each end before popping onto itself. Don't be surprised if it doesn't stay popped in place after all these years.

BARNPOT2000

Quote from: Bossworld on October 25, 2021, 13:10
Quote from: BARNPOT2000 on October 25, 2021, 12:53Hi all, I've just got around to flipping the air vets off and flushing the hood drains. They needed a clean but weren't too bad (broke two clips, as you do). Anyhow my query is related to the hood more than the drains I guess. As I was fettling around with my arm down from the inside to get to things I noticed there is a short popper tab/strap attached to one of the flaps of hood material behind the drain sack. It was not connected to anything and was hanging. I checked the other side and found the same type of tab on that side, again disconnected. On further investigation it appears that the tab should wrap around one of the hood bars that are nearby as the popper male and female parts are at either end of the short strap. Can anyone help by telling me what these tabs or straps should wrap around please? At the moment I left them as I found them... loose.

The strap puts a lot of tension on the hood but prevents the 'ears' sticking up effect when folded back.

Personally, given the time of year, I'd wait until Spring before attempting to refit (the hood should be a bit more supple in the warmer weather).

From memory it feeds though a channel in the hood lining and then ties around a metal bar at each end before popping onto itself. Don't be surprised if it doesn't stay popped in place after all these years.
Thanks @Bossworld but its not the strap that pulls in the ears, I've removed that and its in the glove box. These are short poppered straps about 100mm long one attached to hood material each side deep down below the rear shelf. I will try to photo but it will be a challenge. In order to clean the hood drains I unclipped the hood to "relax" it enough for me to look down the drain area. Its with the hood slightly open that I came across these attachments dangling in the area inside the car behind the drain pouches. Sorry difficult to describe, I will try to get a photograph.
TF099 silver

Bossworld

Quote from: BARNPOT2000 on October 25, 2021, 14:44

Thanks @Bossworld but its not the strap that pulls in the ears, I've removed that and its in the glove box. These are short poppered straps about 100mm long one attached to hood material each side deep down below the rear shelf. I will try to photo but it will be a challenge. In order to clean the hood drains I unclipped the hood to "relax" it enough for me to look down the drain area. Its with the hood slightly open that I came across these attachments dangling in the area inside the car behind the drain pouches. Sorry difficult to describe, I will try to get a photograph.

Sorry completely misunderstood! It might be worth trying one the breakers who will know the hoods inside out.

Don't know if it's explicitly covered in guides like these but may help with photos - https://midshiprunabout.org/mk3/replacing-the-soft-top/

BARNPOT2000

Quote from: Bossworld on October 25, 2021, 14:55
Quote from: BARNPOT2000 on October 25, 2021, 14:44

Sorry completely misunderstood! It might be worth trying one the breakers who will know the hoods inside out.

Don't know if it's explicitly covered in guides like these but may help with photos - https://midshiprunabout.org/mk3/replacing-the-soft-top/
That's helpful, I don't think I can see the specific straps in the photos but it looks like I might have to remove the cubbies completely to get to the bottom of where this strap should be connected. Thanks again for your help.
TF099 silver

BARNPOT2000

TF099 silver

BARNPOT2000

I think they just wrap around the bar adjacent to the straps, however nigh impossible to re attach from above. I have a feeling the will remain "dangly" for a while....potentially indefinitely :)
TF099 silver

Tags: