Oil and filter change.

Started by TheTigerUK, November 23, 2021, 11:49

Ardent

I have had to request each individually.
Oil, oil filter, air filter and sump plug washer.
Plugs I got online.

Joesson

Quote from: TheTigerUK on November 25, 2021, 19:55My Avensis has a full main dealer service history from the same dealership.

July 2020 it went in for a intermediate service and MOT, I was told and it was in writing that the pads were 5mm and 3mm and that they would need changing on the next service.

July 2021 it went in for full service and MOT, I budgeted for the service and brakes, when I picked it up I only had the service to pay, I asked about the brakes and they said fine and showed me the paper work they were 7mm and 5mm, happy days.

But this started to niggle me, how come after 10K miles my pads had grown in size ?

So I got in touch with the dealership, told them the "problem" and they booked the car back in to be checked.

After checking the pads were indeed 7mm and 5mm so dident want changing, no apology just one of those things and that on an intermediate service they just estimate the size but on a full service they measure.

It does make you think should you trust anything they say ?

In that particular case, while they did give you incorrect information, I suggest they exonerated themselves by not just replacing the pads, as your anticipation. That does show a good level of honesty if not of estimation.

JohnGee

Quote from: Call the midlife! on November 23, 2021, 17:50You have to factor in the overheads with any professional business, even if it's a freshly qualified junior tech on around £12/hr it would cost the business probably £15 to pay them for that hour. Then you've got business rates, utilities and insurance etc plus the wages of everyone else involved such as the service desk receptionist and parts person.

I think 25% mark up (£12 -> £15) is pretty tight, my guess would be 50% on top minimum. You have of course got business rates but also building / workshop maintenance (and, ultimately, major refurb or replacement) plus a host of other things such as pension contributions, training, holidays and of course profit, otherwise they won't keep going.

Are ADs not under a duty of care to inspect cars and make owners aware of any apparent defects / issues (perhaps all garages are but ADs take this a bit more seriously because they want to avoid a major argument).

Re prices / costs, in some industries where you ask someone for a price for a piece of work, as a general enquiry, this is the starting point. "I'm now in a position to award the work, what can you do to make your original price more attractive?". If you don't ask, you don't get (though Marks & Spencers don't seem to understand this, but it does discourage Mrs G from taking me to M&S!).

If it's an hour's work, normally charged out at a technician's rate, and they can get the apprentice to do it with a final (2 minute?) check over by the technician then the AD is very happy and in the money! They may be prepared to move slightly, it's a competitive market especially if you're an AD. Of course as mentioned by @carolineasb, ADs are probably not chasing the oil and filter market.

John

2006 Roadster, manual, leather, in Sable

TheTigerUK

At the same time I asked how much for a full service, £350 and the use of a courtesy car.
Say it with love, say it with flowers but never, never, say it in writing.

The idea is to die young as late as possible :)

Joesson

Quote from: TheTigerUK on November 26, 2021, 10:26At the same time I asked how much for a full service, £350 and the use of a courtesy car.

The first service I had on my 2 on 02 June 2011 for a 90K Service (@53703 Miles), with a courtesy collection and delivery, inc. VAT that was £150.00
I then took on a Service Plan @ £9.75 a month.
In 2012 extras including 2 wiper blades, brake fluid a grommet screw, and clip amounted to £60.11 including brake bleed and fitting ancillaries.
On 12 June 2012 I also paid £94.99 for a coolant change.
In 2013 a Planned service and advisory new Oxygen sensor £177.35 (Bought this at £69.99 and a spanner via www and saved £100.
In 2014 a Planned Service and advisories: auxiliary belt perished, slight leak around water pump, and as usual car washed and vacuumed FOC.
As in between times, following the coolant change, I had replaced the leaking radiator, that they had not  found leaking , and bought a litre of LL coolant to replace that lost and fitted the auxiliary belt, I came to realise that the Planned Service amounted only to an oil and filter change and a car wash and vac. Everything else was " Inspected" anything needing doing was an advisory at a price that was not acceptable to me.
Since then I have done my own oil and filter changes and inspections.
NB The "leaking pump", to me, shows no sign of leaking and is still OE. The replacement blew a plug and dumped the Toyota LL coolant on the local bypass. I refilled with no name long life.
Coolant, Power steering were replaced with Ravenol products together with oil and filter in Spring this year, 2021.
In short, I do my own oil/ filter change and inspections and find and fix any advisories.
If I were unable to do this myself I would find a local independent, likely the one that does my MOT, the owner having expressed a wish for first refusal when I want to sell.

I am not totally averse to Main Dealers, I bought my daily from a privately owned Dealer. I believe I have had honest servicing and advice from them . The workshop manager is the son of the MD of the Company, recently they collect and deliver, and have always included  Ford (AA I believe)  Breakdown and  Recovery. This I think is a very good value benefit, my daily is a 2011 and approaching 100k miles.

TheTigerUK

Quote from: Joesson on November 26, 2021, 11:14my daily is a 2011 and approaching 100k miles.

Same as mine :)

carolineasb

Quote from: TheTigerUK on November 25, 2021, 19:57Can you just go to Toyota and ask for a full service kit or do you have to specify each item ?

Think I asked for full service kit and they listed what was in the kit for the price which I checked with hubby who is a mechanic. Obviously it would be even cheaper without wipers but we just decided to swap ours for the upcoming winter. I think the deal is you buy the kit and the oil is free.

We also got air conditioning parts at the same garage for roughly the same price as on various internet pages but from the garage we were getting the OEM part with easier returns etc if needed than buying from the net. Next thing we are likely to do on the cars (apart from a trip to Swansea for new roof) is suspension refresh, however, Toyota prices are far too high for that so we will be looking elsewhere.

We always check the Toyota dealer price first and then check internet etc so you have a starting price instead of just guessing what a good price is.

Our Toyota dealer is an independent garage as I would never buy from one of the UK national companies as I much prefer the "family" feel of the garage.
2006 (56) Blue TF300 (Newbie)<br />2001 (Y)  Silver (Oldie)
2004 (04) Black (The Inbetweenie)

Ardent

Done mine this morning
You cannot view this attachment.

TheTigerUK

Quote from: Ardent on November 28, 2021, 10:59Done mine this morning
[/attach]

I like those little ramps Jason :)

TheTigerUK

Quote from: carolineasb on November 28, 2021, 08:39Next thing we are likely to do on the cars (apart from a trip to Swansea for new roof) is suspension refresh, however, Toyota prices are far too high for that so we will be looking elsewhere.

We always check the Toyota dealer price first and then check internet etc so you have a starting price instead of just guessing what a good price is.

Its a shame we can't do a group buy, I would be in and we would perhaps get a better deal if more than one set being bought ?

Joesson

Quote from: TheTigerUK on November 28, 2021, 16:41
Quote from: carolineasb on November 28, 2021, 08:39Next thing we are likely to do on the cars (apart from a trip to Swansea for new roof) is suspension refresh, however, Toyota prices are far too high for that so we will be looking elsewhere.

Its a shame we can't do a group buy, I would be in and we would perhaps get a better deal if more than one set being bought ?

TCBparts.co.uk  ( often best to phone) was, for a long time an affiliate on here, that is no longer the case. Now he has again been overlooked/ not considered so can perhaps understand why that is the case.

Ardent

Quote from: Joesson on November 28, 2021, 17:01TCBparts.co.uk  ( often best to phone) was, for a long time an affiliate on here, that is no longer the case.
Did not know that. Still trading I take it, just not an affiliate?

Ardent

Joesson

Quote from: Ardent on November 28, 2021, 18:31
Quote from: Joesson on November 28, 2021, 17:01TCBparts.co.uk  ( often best to phone) was, for a long time an affiliate on here, that is no longer the case.
Did not know that. Still trading I take it, just not an affiliate?

Exactly. I suggest always worth a phone call when you need a particular item, you get to speak with the Boss, Paul, who seems to know about what he is selling. No guessing on your own part if the part number or whatever is  correct.
Remember he was helpful when we were discussing the merits of replacing in total or rebushing of the front control arms.

TheTigerUK

[/quote]
TCBparts.co.uk  ( often best to phone) was, for a long time an affiliate on here, that is no longer the case. Now he has again been overlooked/ not considered so can perhaps understand why that is the case.
[/quote]

I shall bear them in mind as well, thanks.

Tags: