Started by bigtone, July 25, 2022, 19:06

Ardent

Yep part of annual service regime.

Ardent

Quote from: J88TEO on July 26, 2022, 10:34GEBK8S
Will be ordering 2 of those later.
Cheers

Dev

I helped a member a weekend ago install a pair of spherical bushings that are very high quality. It is being sold by the guy that sells the 2AR and 2GR swap parts if you remember.
 In the past there were others that sold the cheaper versions that would corrode or the bearings would fall out of round and lock up but these seem to address that. I use the solid brass versions that I like but I might try a pair myself after seeing the quality.

https://frankensteinmotorworks.squarespace.com/mr2-spyder-shop/spherical-bearing-shift-cable-end

Beachbum957

Other than lubrication, a bad cable can make shifting stiff.  The problem is a cable may feel nice and smooth disconnected, but then get stiff under load as the inner wire flexes against the housing. 

A better check takes two people.  Disconnect the cable at the back, have one person apply pressure pushing the cable in or pulling it outward, and have another person in the car move the shifter so the cable tries to move against the applied force.  A bad cable will be much stiffer under load.

Ardent

Quote from: J88TEO on July 25, 2022, 23:37I removed the airbox and the hose etc. That gave me a lot of room to work on sanding the shifter cables. A box socket underneath and another on top and a small hammer did the job. Lubed with silicon grease and that's it. Compare to my other 2 with unmodded bushings and standard shifter the difference is massively felt.
Just re visiting this.
Trying to visualise your description. (I previously installed the ones referenced earlier.)
With the old bearings out. You are left with a ring on the the end of the cable.
Are you using a box spanner underneath to support the ring whilst using another on the bearing to tap it in?
Anything against Just using a socket of the appropriate size?
I can see some advantages in a box due to the length being able to rest it against something solid.

J88TEO

Quote from: Ardent on August 27, 2022, 09:42Are you using a box spanner underneath to support the ring whilst using another on the bearing to tap it in?
Anything against Just using a socket of the appropriate size?
You got it.
Bottom socket big enough to support the ring. Top socket big enough so it sit on the outer flange of the bearing.

Ardent

Tags: