Y512 GAE SMT

Started by Double Zero, May 12, 2024, 10:21

Double Zero

Hi all,

I'm still on my Search to find a SMT I have seen a car Reg Y512GAE in silver.

It has a forum sticker in the rear windscreen I was wondering if anybody could tell me the history on it to see whether it was worth having a look.

Having met a forum member yesterday who took me out for a spin in his MR2, I am kicking myself that I didn't look into these fantastic cars 20 years ago.

Thanks

Joesson

@Double Zero

Have you had a look at the past MOT results?

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/results?registration=Y512GAE&checkRecalls=true

Just click on MOT history, you will see it has been little used.

Double Zero

Thanks Joesson

Yes first thing I checked

Looks like a well looked after car, was more interested to hear if SMT fluid had been changed regularly

And as it had a forum sticker if the previous owner was still on here

Joesson

@fawtytoo  in the UK , @Petrus in Spain and iirc @Beachbum957 in the USA are the only SMT owners that I'm aware of.
Some fluids are "Long Life" and your prospective car has not done the miles typically befitting it's age.
Maybe one of the above can share their experience on that topic.

Ardent

fawtytoo

Quote from: Double Zero on May 12, 2024, 12:43more interested to hear if SMT fluid had been changed regularly
I doubt it's been changed at all as its not a service item and most mechanics shy away from semi-autos even at Mr T. From my own understanding there is nothing inside to corrode. With that low mileage I shouldn't worry but it's always worth replacing the fluid anyhow. The fluid costs about £100 for a 1l tin from Mr T which should give you approx 3 changes.
"My name is not important" - Slartibartfast

Petrus

Quote from: fawtytoo on May 13, 2024, 10:56I doubt it's been changed at all as its not a service item and most mechanics shy away from semi-autos even at Mr T. From my own understanding there is nothing inside to corrode. With that low mileage I shouldn't worry but it's always worth replacing the fluid anyhow. The fluid costs about £100 for a 1l tin from Mr T which should give you approx 3 changes.

As the stuff is hygroscopic would not trust refreshing from an opened tin.

Changed the fluid in mine with @Beachbum957  suggestion when I got her. Was cristal clear. Still flushed the system. Last year flushed/refreshed again.

Tags: