New '2 almost here! And JSpec question

Started by Anonymous, August 9, 2005, 11:08

Anonymous

Hi all,

After years of driving rubbish cars (but daydreaming through the Auto Trader every week)....my new '2 is due to arrive any day now (before Friday I hope!).

The wait has been absolute murder: nothing to do except clear the garage and spend a fortune at Halfrauds to pass the time!

I've enjoyed checking into this forum every day recently and have been using the searh facility BUT I have one wee question....

What does JSpec mean? What's it all about?

I like the JSpec badges on here but after a lot of Google-ing I'm confused about what makes some parts JSpec and others not, and who designed the JSpec MR2 logo???

Thanks,

NIH

roger

I'll let somebody in the know follow me on, but basically JSpec is the Specification for Japanese cars. IOW they come with different badges etc.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

spit

First of all, congratulations on becoming the proud owner of etc..... sure you'll love it, and be sure to bookmark this forum for info - its a great resource (although it'll soon have you spending more money on your '2   s:? :? s:?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol: )
Quote from: "roger"....they come with different badges etc.
The Japanese domestic market version of the MR2 Roadster is the MR-S, which you've probably seen referred to on these pages. The crest logo and MR-S badging that you've seen is that used for the JDM and US markets rather than our European Toyota "ring" logo and MR2 roadster badging. (see also Spyderchat).

the "etc" that Roger refers to goes beyond the cosmetic differences. For example, ECU, VSV, O2 sensor configuration differences. I still haven't fully got my head around all of the Jap vs Europe vs US nuances, but a lot of it seems to be driven by local emissions & safety criteria.

Providing you're locally legal, this isn't something you really need to worry about until you buy intakes/exhaust/chips/turbo etc, in which case you may need to ensure that your bolt-on bit is compatible.

Ste
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

Cheers for that,

Mine's a UK '2 anyway, but I really like the JSpec badging and wanted to know more about it.

Thanks again for your help: I've had a great first impression of MR2ROC over the last couple of weeks and will be sure to keep calling in.

PS - A note to prospective first time '2 owners. Posting on/reading the MR2ROC forum is of no therapeutic value whatsoever when you're waiting for your '2 to arrive; in fact it makes the time drag even more! It's very informative and useful, though!

spit

I see you've started spending already  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Funny - I was just thinking to myself when I posted in the 'group buys' section: "this is where it all starts!".

I have a mental image of an empty bank account and a well-specced '2 thanks to MR2ROC!

Anonymous

I never even considered modding my 2 till I found this place, now it's spend spend spend!  The mrs doesn't share my enthusiasm though, the 'sad sad man' look she gave me as I delighted in my new short shifter purchase was quite amusing  s:) :) s:)

congrats on the new 2 anyway, just a shame there's not much of the summer left!

roger

Quote from: "doony"I never even considered modding my 2 till I found this place, now it's spend spend spend!  
DITTO
QuoteThe mrs doesn't share my enthusiasm though, the 'sad sad man' look she gave me as I delighted in my new short shifter purchase was quite amusing  s:) :) s:)  
DITTO
Quotecongrats on the new 2 anyway, just a shame there's not much of the summer left!
DITTO

Alison hasn't actually driven the car since the short shift went in...you never know your luck   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

Hehe, glad I'm not alone  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Congrats on making a good choice in roadsters.

J-Spec badging normally requires four areas of the car to be modified.

1. The "midship runabout" badge for the nose can be purchased through Toyota, e-bay, or third-party custom colorizers. The last type can be expensive and time-consuming. They're available at spyderchat.com at the moment, for $60. Any solution is better than the "cowboy hat."

2. Wheel badging. You can order OEM MR wheel caps through Toyota, or use xdesign's badges and affix them to the stock caps. A full set of OEMs is about $80, but look the best IMO.

3. Steering wheel badging. Here, you must use xdesign's badge to cover or replace the stock version. From a driver's perspective, you really want this.

4. Rear badging. You can replace the stock badges or simply remove them. Most drivers customize this area of the car in some way unique to their own vehicle. This is where you individualize the car and set it apart from the rest. "MR-S," "VVT-i," "TRD," etc., are all possible, as is relocating the "spyder" badge to a different position, such as over the upper rear grill or across the 3rd brakelight.

Perform these modifications at whatever rate pleases you, but do be aware that unless you garage the car at all times, sunlight will tend to color the paint around the stock badges and if you wait too long, you'll have ghost images that cannot be buffed out. Instructions for nose badge removal are at spydermagazine.com.

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "southerneditor"1. The "midship runabout" badge for the nose can be purchased through Toyota, e-bay, or third-party custom colorizers. The last type can be expensive and time-consuming. They're available at spyderchat.com at the moment, for $60. Any solution is better than the "cowboy hat."

Of course that is the US version. Over here we don't need to pay half as much for the J-Spec nose badge (also known as the "Eagle logo"). Mine cost me £12 ($21) direct from my local Toyota dealer (who you will also find referenced as "Mr T").

The Eagle logo first appeared on the MR2 MkI. There are some variations as to what it means, but the commonly accepted version is:

Where the eagles crown is M
The eagles head is R
And the wings are the roman numerals II (2)

Peter Laborne

IIRC this version/design of the eagle logo is unique to the MkIII as the MkI was more of a detailed drawing of an eagle with it's head facing to the left.

Anonymous

Right. I concur on the etymology - albeit rumor has it that they came up with "MR" first, then had to devise "midship runabout" as a backronym. The Japanese tend to do that a lot.

As for pricing, ek-tually we pay about the same for the OEM badges on this side of the drink, too. It's the custom colorized versions that run high because of the painstaking labor involved in disassembling the J-Spec badge.

One thing's for sure: J-Spec badges on a Spyder mean the owner is an enthusiast, and likely a member of our little community.

Anonymous

Fantastic posts all - thanks for all the info.

I've also sworn in the past that I like to keep a car standard but just seeing what is possible with a little help from members of this OC has got me tempted!

I reckon that JSpec badging, a Unichip and TTE springs are top of my wish list.

Southerneditor- I've saved your reply and am going to start collecting thosse badges straight away. Thanks.

I'm expecting the call today or tomorrow to say that the '2 has arrived: fingers crossed everyone, please, that there are no more delays!

Chris

Quote from: "hibbyni"I have a mental image of an empty bank account and a well-specced '2 thanks to MR2ROC!
Be grateful it's only a mental image for you - I have the reality!!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Quote from: "hibbyni"I reckon that JSpec badging, a Unichip and TTE springs are top of my wish list.
Good choices!! You see, it's started already...  welcome to the clubs slippery mod slope...   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

kanujunkie

Quote from: "hibbyni"Funny - I was just thinking to myself when I posted in the 'group buys' section: "this is where it all starts!".

I have a mental image of an empty bank account and a well-specced '2 thanks to MR2ROC!

its a balance thing, as your bank account goes down, your sig will go up and your grin will grow, its a ying and yang thing  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

edward.carter

Quote from: "kanujunkie"its a balance thing, as your bank account goes down, your sig will go up and your grin will grow, its a ying and yang thing  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

what a wonderful way of looking at it thanks   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Quote from: "kanujunkie"
Quote from: "hibbyni"Funny - I was just thinking to myself when I posted in the 'group buys' section: "this is where it all starts!".

its a balance thing, as your bank account goes down, your sig will go up and your grin will grow, its a ying and yang thing  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

I can already imagine the good people at Barlaycard getting their coats on and their Vectra's warmed up to pay me a visit!

But it will be great fun, just like you say.

Only problem is that I've still got a large, cleared and tidied MR2 shape gap in may garage with no car parked there yet!!

philster_d

Im jealous. I have the car but no garage.

Philster.

Anonymous

I'd swop!

Anonymous

Wee update - car dealer said he would ring today to 'let me know it had arrived'.

No call received to let me know one way or the other.

Yellow card!

spit

Quote from: "hibbyni"No call received to let me know one way or the other.
This is a good thing..... you get one more night of anticipation and excitement at no extra cost  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  Its like having two Christmas eves!

Seriously, hope all goes well, and enjoy the experience. See you in the GB section  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

She has arrived!!

My 2003 silver '2 is finally here and what a great fun day it was yesterday getting aquianted!

Really enjoy the gearbox, handling, acceleration, comfort....and the fact that small children point and wave! It takes just minutes to get used to driving it but I'll be taking it easy while I get used to the RWD.

I did notice a couple of people moving out of the outside lane who wouldn't have done before, and the odd dickhead in a Saxo revving his hairdryer engine to death behind me.

I'm hoping to spend a day with the Maguiers today before taking her on a long run tomorrow.

Will be seeing you all in the GB section as the year goes on!

Thanks for all the help and advice so far.

NIH

Anonymous

Congrats! It's amazing just how many comments and looks us 2" owners get, only last week I pulled into a petrol station, and a bunch of kids gave some admiring glances, the one piped up 'nice car mate...looks like a ******* skip!'   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

edward.carter

haha does always seem to be young kids who actually make the comments though, had a couple of occasions where young kid shouted out "nice car mate" at top of his voice   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Tags: