A Sproinggggg noise when first setting off ????

Started by Anonymous, September 2, 2005, 15:28

Anonymous

Anyone know the reason why there is a spring release "sproingggg" noise when my 53 plate '2 moves of from a standing start?  It appears to come from the steering rack area.  It only happens when the vehicle has been stationary for a while and kicks in just after motion begins?

Anonymous

Dunno what causes it but mines been doing it from new, makes a single springy sound just once as you pull away.
Think I read somewhere in the manual that the car does a check each time you start up and that it would make a sound

roger

Me as well, had it from new, still got it.

Had a long chat on here, but couldn't come to any positive diagnosis.

The most likely thought was brake pads / calipers "re-setting", but nothing conclusive. Maybe even on the rear with the handbrake coming off - and noise "travelling" to appear to be from the front.

Aircon was another thought, but I don't have it!
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

darrenjuggins

Hi,

Have you been driving in the rain, or left it standing for a day or so ?

If your answer to the above is yes....

you will proably find the noise is related to the brake pads/disc releasing themselves. (Thus the noice coming from what seems to be the steering Rack) IMHO.

Cheers

Darren J
Darren A. Juggins

mrsmr2

I think it's the ABS, there is something in the manual about it.

Jason
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

GSB

I always thought it was my aircon system purging itself. My other Roadster never did it.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

roger

Quote from: "GSB"I always thought it was my aircon system purging itself. My other Roadster never did it.

'Fraid not.
Roger

Anonymous

Get it on the astra, never had it on the 2

filcee

Do you have any steering lock on?  That is, turning the wheel left or right as you set off?  ISTR both of mine have made a noise like a spring releasing when setting off from standing for a while.  On my '03, this turned out to be the front suspension top mounts, which can be fixed under warranty.
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

roger

No steering lock at all - reversing out of the garage absolutely straight   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Roger

Anonymous

Thanks for all the replies.

- I don't have air con.
 - Its not the sound of pads sticking to the dics & then releasing. As it happens each time you stop and then move off again.
 - The  noise / mechanical action appear to be trigered by speed. i.e If you keep crawl along slowly it does not trigger.
 - ABS is a possibility..
 - My previos Celica & G6R didn't do this.

Good to hear that is probably normal though.

interesting.....

mrsmr2

Does it sound like this?

That's the ABS self check mode according to the manual.

Jason
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

roger

Bit difficult to decipher from the rest of the noise, but I would say not quite the same. That sounded more of a clunk, than a sproing  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

The manual calls it a "click or motor sound". Again that would not be my best description of the noise, but all in all, I guess it must be the ABS.
Roger

mrsmr2

Roger

Perhaps it would be best for the person in question to confirm whether it is a similar sound, or something completely different.

Jason

Anonymous

i've had the "spring" noise from when the car was new.  i believe it's the ABS system as they've said on spyderchat.  it happens within 10 ft of movement (forward or reverse) after the car has been parked.

Anonymous

That's the noise!  Phew.... at least it's normal and most probably the ABS.

Thanks all.

roger

Quote from: "mrsmr2"Roger

Perhaps it would be best for the person in question to confirm whether it is a similar sound, or something completely different.

Jason

I was comparing it with my noise, which is definitely a "sproing". So I was assuming he had the same as me.
Roger

mrsmr2

Cool, we sorted it.

Jason

Tags: