Anyone successfully re-coloured a JSpec nose badge?

Started by Anonymous, September 13, 2005, 12:09

jonytom

Thanks guys. Funnily, none of you mentioned a screwdriver with an allen key tip, a wife and a Swiss army knife, but that combination eventually worked for me!

The ends of my fingers are still numb. Reckon somebody at Toyota knows we're doing this to the badges and is adding a few more dollops of glue just to annoy!
[size=75]Black \'03, black leather, TTE lowering springs, Markiii pipe, Corky\'s plate, J-Spec steering wheel badge, club windscreen sticker, red calipers with Toyota styling, Toyota GB body kit, Goodyear F1 Eagles (GS-D3), Dev\'s keyhole covers, black (painted) J-Spec nose badge[/size]

Anonymous

Hi all,

I tried a new coat of touch-up paint on the badge yesterday after sanding it down really well.

The finish has come up better than last time but still looks a bit uneven. Will this improve with another coat or do I need to try try again??!!!

Thanks in advance for your help.

LeeUK

No, don't use touch up paint, get an aerosol can of the colour you want from halfords and have a go, it will look sooooo much better.  s8) 8) s8)

Perfect example:

[size=100]JELBE[/size]
MR2 Roadster 2zz Track/Racecar Project ......2% complete......

MR2ROC Go-Karting Champion 2005
[/color]

Anonymous

I tried using the touch-up paint on Dev's advice as it would be coloured coded but can't get a good finish from it.

How did you get the metallic effect to the paint finish on the middle (black) one. What type of spray paint did you use??

Thanks

LeeUK

Halford, spray paint (aerosol) Vauxhall Astral black.  They have a great selection of paints in there.
[size=100]JELBE[/size]
MR2 Roadster 2zz Track/Racecar Project ......2% complete......

MR2ROC Go-Karting Champion 2005
[/color]

jonytom

hibbyni, not sure where you're going wrong with the touch-up paint. Finished mine in black today and it looks fine.

I got all the blue stuff off with nail polish remover (courtesy of the missus of course) then after masking off the front I poured quite a bit of the touch up paint onto the back. Wiggled the badge around to get full coverage and left to dry for 24 hours.

The only problem I had (apart from getting the bits apart in the first place), was that the front got a bit cloudy/messy in the process. Nothing some Colgate toothpaste and some cottonwool couldn't sort out though!

I think the secret with the touch up is to get it on thick in one go, without brushing.

Johnny
[size=75]Black \'03, black leather, TTE lowering springs, Markiii pipe, Corky\'s plate, J-Spec steering wheel badge, club windscreen sticker, red calipers with Toyota styling, Toyota GB body kit, Goodyear F1 Eagles (GS-D3), Dev\'s keyhole covers, black (painted) J-Spec nose badge[/size]

Anonymous

yea look at my post titled "things i've done recently" and you'll see my badge done with touch up. idk why you're having such a problem.

Anonymous

Cheers for the comments.

I'm going to give it another try with the touch-up paint.

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "mefarri"yea look at my post titled "things i've done recently" and you'll see my badge done with touch up. idk why you're having such a problem.

That's over in Spyderchat if anyone was wondering.

Simon

Anonymous

oh yea i forgot that part  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Anonymous

I've given it another try with touch-up paint by simply pouring it on, and the finish is fantastic.

BUT, as as this is my third attempt to get the technique right (I was using the brush before, which doesn't work) the hot foil has now been distorted, presumably from too many layers of paint going onto it.

This is costing too much time and money for now to try again, so will give it a rest for a little while!

jonytom

Sorry it didn't work out, but at least its only 12 quid for another one!

Anonymous

Quote from: "jonytom"Sorry it didn't work out, but at least its only 12 quid for another one!

Yeah - like I said before, I'm in no hurry so that means I can make sure it is perfect before it goes on my beloved '2!

Tags: