painting calipers

Started by Anonymous, February 10, 2006, 00:55

Anonymous

Okay guy's. Not sure what make I've got, it came as a kit with brake cleaner and a brush. I'll get a couple of art bruches to do the job - just know what a kak hand I am with paint thats all - lol.

I've got a couple of axle stands and the drive levels off at the top so I planned putting up on them at the top and turnning it round once I'd done two wheels, if that makes sense?

Two's Company

When I do mine rather than run around like a mad man changing wheels while waiting for the paint to dry I'm going to clean the wheels inside and out, polich using Klasse AIO, apply Klasse long life sealant then top with Poorboys wheel wax.   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

That little lot will take me more than 15 minutes and stop the onset of corrosion until the next wheel change under warranty.   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

Good plan that man!  s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

Quote from: "Two's Company"When I do mine rather than run around like a mad man changing wheels while waiting for the paint to dry I'm going to clean the wheels inside and out, polich using Klasse AIO, apply Klasse long life sealant then top with Poorboys wheel wax.   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

That little lot will take me more than 15 minutes and stop the onset of corrosion until the next wheel change under warranty.   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Just remember that if you get your tyres changed - the balancing weights will fall off!

Two's Company

Quote from: "RUSTY"Just remember that if you get your tyres changed - the balancing weights will fall off!

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  It's going to need 2 new back tyres soon as well.

The Toyos have only done about 12k mainly motorway miles.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

northernalex

Be carefull though, I bought a tin of paint from halfords (single tin no cleaner etc) of yellow stuff. Cleaned properly etc, the damn stuff didnt dry in over two weeks stayed well tacky.  Had to remove with  paint stripper, got some in me left eye, spent the night in hospital... LOL.. all this for a bit of yellow.. dumb me  s:) :) s:)
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

Anonymous

Was looking at the paint in Halfords - they only had yellow and I wanted red (red interior y'see). Unfortunatly managed to knock a tin onto the floor and.......

Didn't half feel a muppet!!  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Two's Company

I painted my calipers yesterday and finished at about 6pm.  The folitec instructions say not to drive it for 24 hours, I guess they are just covering themselves as they felt dry last night?

The sun is out now and I want to drive it!   s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

Did mine yesterday as well - look smart. The instructions said to leave for 12 hours min - which I have!

So thats the first mod done - now what!!!!

Two's Company

Quote from: "dodzi"Did mine yesterday as well - look smart. The instructions said to leave for 12 hours min - which I have!

So thats the first mod done - now what!!!!

Corky plate, my 1st and best mod   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

You might be right there mate - just have to get a few spondies together for it first.

Off topic I know but you order those from the spyder chat website don't you?

Two's Company

Yes   s:D :D s:D

Draggon

Great info here peeps...thanks.

This going to be my next mod after the lowering and service.

I am going to go Black gloss if I can...but ive got a few questions....

1. Should I use foliatec, hammerite or smoothrite?
(want an easy life remember)

2. The caliper stickers look great which i saw on this thread  m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... t=stickers m
But how do they stick on ? and do they stay on?
I am thinking maybe silver spyder ones if poss.

Sorry for the questions...just wanna get all the facts first...as I can see me painting the brakes shut   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
Black 04 MR2 Roadster, Black Leather. David Style Chrome Bars (1 piece). Dev\'s keyhole covers, Dev\'s BL Visor, Small Mongo\'s with eagle stickers, J-spec nose badge, spyder rear badge, ST Crystal side indicators. TTE Springs :)

Anonymous

When your doing the calipers consider painting the rusty parts of your brake discs. Did mine yesterday in readiness for when I paint the calipers. I usesd a aluminium paint by dulux which is heat resistant up to 300c.

I intend to uses foliatec. Halfords £24.99 Carnousier £19.99.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Draggon"1. Should I use foliatec, hammerite or smoothrite?

I've used both hammerite and foliatec in the past, both gave good results, but the hammerite is easier to apply IMO.

Quote2. The caliper stickers look great which i saw on this thread  m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... t=stickers m
But how do they stick on ? and do they stay on?

You just press them on for a bit, you can also apply a bit of heat to the rear (use a hairdryer or something) of the stickers to help them cure. The biggest tip I can give you is to treat the calipers with some spray-on varnish when you're finished (Halfords sell it) - obviously mask off all the exposed brake parts first...  

Someone on this site recommended it and I can honestly say that now, 2 years on, they still look almost as good as they did when I first did them, plus it really protects the stickers and gives them a really shiny finish.

Unfortunately the only picture I have is this one from when I first did them and you can't really see the sticker:

Draggon

Thanks for the info...much needed  s:) :) s:)
Black 04 MR2 Roadster, Black Leather. David Style Chrome Bars (1 piece). Dev\'s keyhole covers, Dev\'s BL Visor, Small Mongo\'s with eagle stickers, J-spec nose badge, spyder rear badge, ST Crystal side indicators. TTE Springs :)

roger

Quote from: "lordretsudo"
Quote from: "Draggon"1. Should I use foliatec, hammerite or smoothrite?

I've used both hammerite and foliatec in the past, both gave good results, but the hammerite is easier to apply IMO.

Foliatec comes with a cleaner, so if you are going to buy hammerite, think about getting some if you haven't already got it.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

This may be a bit late..... for which I appologize.  IMO, painting the calipers adds a subtle, custom type of look.  However, unless you are sure that you'll match the color of the car (black, silver), then go with a contrasting color.  Re: If you put your wheels on before the paint dries and you don't touch the calipers, then it shouldn't matter how long the paint has to dry before you remount the wheels.  Driving the car is different, because they you are adding brake dust and dirt to the sticky, wet painted surface.  Download some MR2 or Spyder fonts, size them properly and take them to a sign shop for stick on lettering.  Mine have been on for over a year and they look good as new.

Draggon

Thanks Drobbs...nice info

I will try and wait till they are fairly dry before remounting wheels and driving...i hope  s:) :) s:)

I managed to get the silver caliper transfers from SteveJ and they are awsome and should look great against Gloss black calipers....

i am still aiming for the stealth look  s;) ;) s;)

rtbiscuit

people on here were talking about using a spray on varnish to seal the calipers at the end.

can you use any type of varnish, or is their a recommended one.

is it special varnish, or is it heat resistant stuff.

do you spray the whole caliper or just over the decal.

does it have to be spray, or can you use a paint on varnish.

i'v got my foliatec red caliper paint and my TRD white decals, but i want to do the job right first time, and not be coming back in 6 months time to redo.

any help is much appreciated!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

Tags: