Airbag question

Started by Anonymous, May 9, 2006, 17:20

Anonymous

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum, and this question has probably been asked before. I am looking at changing my steering wheel and heard that a resistor put in place of the airbag will turn off the warning light, my question is this does anyone know what size resistor is needed. (I have been told not to check the resistance of the airbag with a multimeter as this could set the airbag off). I have tried a searching for an answer but haven't found anything. Thanks

Tony

Anonymous

welcome!

'fraid I can't answer your question, but it's good to see you chose the best colour!   s:D :D s:D

hope you have fun with the car, and prepare to find your wallet mysteriously getting lighter over the coming months!

SimonC_Here

Sean may be your man for this, although in this post Here
he had stopped afer adding a piece of tape over the light!!!

Simon

aaronjb

I could swear blind that Dan (Ekona) posted the resistor mod somewhere... but I can't find it, despite searching like a goodun  s:( :( s:(

Daaan.. Ooohhhh daaaaAAannnn!

Incidentally, Googling seems to imply that most cars are 2 - 4Ohm, with 3Ohm being a common value. (Note that I didn't find any hits for the '2 specifically, so if you do this and it goes pop, it wasn't my fault  s;) ;) s;) )
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

spit

From Dan's thread here there's no mention of a resistor, but Dieamond posted

Quoteto remove the airbag light, just remove the plug from the airbag ecu behind the radio

Tem posted a link to an install guide on Spyderchat.....so if S'chat comes back to life with all the old links in place, try this
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

Thanks anyway guys.

markiii

Dan bought the takakira hub as did I whihc nicely solves this

Sean did it with a momo hub and resisotr
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

kanujunkie

IIRC Dan used the TRD boss and that came with a resistor to blank the wireing.

in answer to your other question regarding the multimeter, yes it is possible for a standard multimeter to set off the airbag, this is because a standard multimeter fires a voltage down the line to be able to work out the resistance, you need a special type of ohmmeter to measure the resitance without blowing the airbag.
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "kanujunkie"it is possible for a standard multimeter to set off the airbag

Are you sure?  s:? :? s:?

I know older airbags could be fired with just a voltage, but I think modern (including ours) need more than just a dummy voltage to fire..
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "kanujunkie"it is possible for a standard multimeter to set off the airbag

Are you sure?  s:? :? s:?

I know older airbags could be fired with just a voltage, but I think modern (including ours) need more than just a dummy voltage to fire..

i've just looked at the wireing diagrams and its a straight forward squib charge, put a voltage across the 2 wires and it goes bang, so yes a multimeter could fire the airbag

i've just found this as well in the manual
QuoteUse a volt/ohmmeter with high impedance (10 kW/V minimum) for troubleshooting the system's electrical circuits.
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

I need to know the answer to this too as I'm in the middle of the same mod.

I bought the Takakira hub but it seems to come with a fuse and not a resistor? Also all the instructions are in Japanese so I'm still at a loss how to get the light to go out! Mark do you remember which wires you bridge with the resistor (or fuse), is it the two Yellow ones? It's that long ago since I removed the old wheel and connectors I can't remember which is which!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

If not does anyone know anymore about the tip from Dieamond: (to remove the airbag light just remove the plug from the airbag ecu behind the radio) like how to identify which plug it is etc?

Steve.

kanujunkie

yep, its the 2 yellow wires

see

m http://www.tandridgecanoe.co.uk/roadster/SRS.pdf m

[edit] please remember these diagrams are off an American MR-S so theres a passenger airbag disarm switch[/edit]
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Many thanks for that Stu, now I just need to know if anyone has any ideas what type of resistor is needed???   s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Hi guys, I have just found out that Fords, VW and Audi use a resistor of 2 - 4 ohms. So it looks like a 3 ohm resistor is favourite. As soon as I get hold of a 3 ohm resistor I will give it a try. I will post here my findings.  s:scared: :scared: s:scared:

Slacey

Quote from: "AJP"Hi guys, I have just found out that Fords, VW and Audi use a resistor of 2 - 4 ohms. So it looks like a 3 ohm resistor is favourite. As soon as I get hold of a 3 ohm resistor I will give it a try. I will post here my findings.  s:scared: :scared: s:scared:
Excellent, I still use the tape-over-light method!
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Let us know how you get on Tony.

I've asked the same question over on Spyderchat yesterday but so far only one person has replied. They said try taking the SRS fuse out from the N/S fuse box (in the door well) but I've tried this and it doesn't work.

Hopefully Mark or Sean will reply with some advice.

Anonymous

Ok maybe not Sean  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  but hopefully Mark!

Anonymous

Ok guys, I went out and bought a 3.3 ohm resistor from maplins this morning which cost me 9p. I disconnected the battery removed the airbag and placed the 3.3 ohm resistor between the 2 contacts in the connector where the airbag would go. I then reconnected the battery, started the car and no airbag warning light, so it does indeed work. All I need to do now is buy a new steering wheel and boss.  s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

Anonymous

Snap Tony!

I also bought a 3.3 ohm resistor for the huge sum of 9p from Maplin this morning! I haven't fitted it yet but I'm well chuffed to hear it works  s:D :D s:D

Slacey

s:) :) s:)  I'll call in to Maplins on Monday then - sad as it sounds but do you have their catalogue number for the resistor - they are useless in my local branch.

Anonymous

Sean, I think it's M3R3 but 7807 is also on the receipt against that item.

Steve  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

I don't now if it's the same as the catalog number, but the code number on their web site is M3R3.   s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Just fitted mine, all ok  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Quote from: "kanujunkie"yep, its the 2 yellow wires

see

m http://www.tandridgecanoe.co.uk/roadster/SRS.pdf m

[edit] please remember these diagrams are off an American MR-S so theres a passenger airbag disarm switch[/edit]

When looking at control unit behind the radio, does anyone know which connector triggers the passenger airbag?  I'm assuming it's the two-wire yellow connector to the far left, with the far right connector firing the steering wheel air bag?

Would it not by a simple job to put a simple in-line switch in the passenger airbag SQUIB and therefore have the ability to stop the thing firing, just like the US model?

Slacey

Thanks for the numbers guys  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Tags: