DAB Help Needed - Pure Highway

Started by uktotty, December 9, 2008, 14:51

uktotty

I love my radio and am seriously considering a DAB for the car.
This one is an addon that requires no changes to the headset.
Does anyone have one? Used one or could recommend another one?

Powered from the in-car power socket and easily attached to your windscreen with a removable flexible mount (just like sat nav) Highway receives DAB stations and transmits them to your car radio on a free FM frequency. Simply tune your car radio to the FM frequency shown on Highway's display to listen to DAB or your iPod/MP3 player.DAB digital radio brings you more stations including BBC 7, BBC Five Live Sports Extra, Planet Rock and theJazz. National AM stations such as talkSPORT, Virgin and BBC Five Live are also broadcast in crisp, clear digital-quality DAB.

You can also power the highway with 2 x AA batteries and use it with stereo headphones as a portable DAB radio too !!!

Russ

uktotty

titled edited

Slacey

Surely the main point of DAB is the digital quality, which will be ruined by picking it up on an FM frequency. Much better off buying a proper DAB H/U I would think?
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Russ, be a Wii bit careful mate, that may only pick up Japanese radio stations.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

edward.carter

Quote from: "Slacey"Surely the main point of DAB is the digital quality, which will be ruined by picking it up on an FM frequency. Much better off buying a proper DAB H/U I would think?
its got a headphone socket so if headunit has aux in you can connect it direct with 3.5mm lead, i was looking at them a while ago.

uktotty

Quote from: "nelix"Russ, be a Wii bit careful mate, that may only pick up Japanese radio stations.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Har de har!
This one is English

unlike you

edward.carter

now now kiddies, play nice  s;) ;) s;)

ekimq

I Wouldn't touch DAB with yours!

Everything has been compressed to such a ridiculous extent that it isn't fit for purpose. Most stations are squeezed into just 64Kb slots. Transmitting the output over FM would probably smoothe everything out again, but it would sound like soup. Another wasted opportunity just like Freeview - bring on DAB2.
Mike
The sun is out, get your top off!

uktotty

Cheers Mike, interesting feedback!
So are you saying ALL DAB is bad?

ekimq

IMHO yes, the broadcasters have murdered DAB by squeezing in too many stations  s:( :( s:(  

If you reckon it's worth it for the talkie stations which you could only get on AM normally, if at all for the likes of BBC7, then find someone who will demo a system for you. My brother-in-law bought a DAB radio and there was only one spot in one room where it would work. I would definately want the ability to return a DAB radio which is meant to be used in a car, if it doesn't do the job.

Quite a few of the stations also transmit on FreeView (not terribly handy for in-car entertainment) and the audio is better quality on the television service than the DAB radio! Now that says to me that the system is broken.

If the question involves hi-fi output for anything, then DAB isn't the answer  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:
Mike
The sun is out, get your top off!

uktotty

Never listened to an AM station since FM turned up, cant see the point whatsoever as MW was always crap!
Just wanted to pick up stations in the car that were out of my local area Commercial radio tends to grate after a while!

red_leicester

I always smile when I hear the term "digital quality sound".  Crap digital = crap sound, as Mike says. And, of course, nothing beats good quality analogue.

I thought most DAB stations are 128kbps though, not 64, so in reality the 'quality' is only a bit worse than your typical MP3 (DAB radio is MP2 format).

I got a Sony DAB head unit for my car because the stations I listen to are DAB-only (mainly 6 Music).  The sound is fine (after all, you're not gonna get fab sound quality in a MR2, with all the road noise, engine noise, and the rattles in the cabin), although there are places where it breaks up so bad you can't listen (but 99% of the time its OK).
[size=84]Jez[/size]
[size=75]2001 Red MR2[/size]

Anonymous

I`ve got one. It`s great, although, I am going to use the 3.5mm cable to hard wire it cos I get interference when tuned in to Planet Rock.

Tags: