Engine light comes orange after 3 miles

Started by rabscott2003, August 12, 2010, 00:34

rabscott2003

I just bought  a MR S 2001, i noticed the engine light comes on after 2-3 miles, but i have run it for 300 miles since last week, i did notice the oil is low and needs a top up. I dont know if thae oil being low would make the engine light come up, temperature is fine and it runs great.

I dont have a manual so what could be the problem. Also the speedometer does not work, the person i bought it from said the clock started not to work then he got the clock replaced and cable from the gearbox, but he never replaced the speedometer sensor at the gearbox, could this be the only thing i need to fix the speedometer? And could this be related to my first question about the engine light?

Also how do you change the light bulbs as the dip has gone on the drivers side, and the driver side brake light rear.

Also what is round switch for right of the steering wheel down from the mirror controls? its round with a small red light on it?

I would like to clean the inside of the front light sheilds is this possible and how is it done.

Sorry for all the questions but i hope someone can answer them all.

Thanks for your time, i will post my pics of my new car to show you all i think its a great looking car.

Robert

Turbotrucker

You need someone to read the code to see what is bringing your engine light on, There are hundreds of things that could make it appear. Where are you? Me and some other club members have obdII code readers. If your not far I could help  s:) :) s:)  
Changing your headlight bulbs is quite easy, sidelights are a pain in the backside, unless you have the hands of a ten year old chinese person  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   You do however need to remove your plastics from under the bonnet.
  Cleaning the inside of your headlights is possible, there's a 'how to' on here I think. It does involve baking them for 40 mins  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  
 Congrats on getting your car  s:D :D s:D
2005 Sable grey Red edition,2zz by Rogue,Toyota GB skirts and spats.Markiii pipe+k&n Panel, Rogue manifold, Sports Cat,TTE Exhaust, TTE style bar, S2000 Seats, Mongo's;) Red Mohair Roof, Whiteline ARB's.

E

Unfortunately as it is an MRS it is probably a japanese import in which case there are only a couple of members with readers capable of reading the codes   s:( :( s:(

FGrob

Quote from: "rabscott2003"I just bought  a MR S 2001, i noticed the engine light comes on after 2-3 miles, but i have run it for 300 miles since last week, i did notice the oil is low and needs a top up. I dont know if thae oil being low would make the engine light come up, temperature is fine and it runs great.

You need to confirm if the car is an import (MRS) or a UK car (MR2), once you have done that you can work out how to get the codes read, there is a lot of information on this site, I suggest you read the first section of this forum which is specifically for trouble shooting and you will see most of the answers you are looking for in that section - oil usage, engine management lights etc etc.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Welcome by the way.

Regards
Rob
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

Anonymous

I would read this if it is an MRS import.    l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=30617 l

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "rabscott2003"Also how do you change the light bulbs as the dip has gone on the drivers side, and the driver side brake light rear.

Small hands as noted!

Quote from: "rabscott2003"Also what is round switch for right of the steering wheel down from the mirror controls? its round with a small red light on it?
Are you sure it's a switch and not just the alarm indicator light?

Quote from: "rabscott2003"I would like to clean the inside of the front light sheilds is this possible and how is it done.
Are you sure it's on the inside? The hazing that the lights suffer from is usually on the outside. there is a thread about cleaning them :  l viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26207&p=323178&hilit=headlight+polishing#p323178 l

skinz

Quote from: "life of bryan"I would read this if it is an MRS import.    l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=30617 l

Yeah deffo read this - worked for me, thanks to frogger I managed to identify what the problem was with a simple paperclip - rather than giving Mr T £50 for diagnostics, mines is a import too and it worked - so anyone sayin it won't is just jealous :p

roger

Quote from: "SimonC_Here"
Quote from: "rabscott2003"Also what is round switch for right of the steering wheel down from the mirror controls? its round with a small red light on it?
Are you sure it's a switch and not just the alarm indicator light?

....or it could be a switch for fog lights. Both alarm and fogs tend to be retro fitted on an Import.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

skinz

Quote from: "roger"
Quote from: "SimonC_Here"....or it could be a switch for fog lights. Both alarm and fogs tend to be retro fitted on an Import.

Yeah round switch is for rear fog (guessing that since its a 2001 import that theres no front fogs) - its on when headlights are on and red light on button is on.  s:) :) s:)

Quote from: "rabscott2003"Also how do you change the light bulbs as the dip has gone on the drivers side, and the driver side brake light rear.

Not done this myself but I'm sure I read somewhere that the front bumper comes off - sure someone can confirm this tho - in the time being I would remove the plastic trim under bonnet and have a look - theres numerous black clip things that pop out then it should lift off - I have broke some of these when removing, but as long as you get the corner ones in it shouldnt be a problem.

As for the rear are these not accessible from engine bay?

Quote from: "rabscott2003"I would like to clean the inside of the front light sheilds is this possible and how is it done.
Robert

Majority of the time the build up is actually on the outside of the lens - so theres posts up about polishing these on the forum - seeminly a 3M tool is best for this. In the case that it is on the inside, seeminly you can remove headlight then chuck it in a household oven for 10mins, then prise the casing off from the adhesive, then clean, then put back in oven to softer off adhesive and push back together - by the sounds of it it would be worth while getting some sealent and going over joints once done (try brownbrothers for this)

skinz

Quote from: "FGrob"
Quote from: "rabscott2003"I just bought  a MR S 2001, i noticed the engine light comes on after 2-3 miles, but i have run it for 300 miles since last week, i did notice the oil is low and needs a top up. I dont know if thae oil being low would make the engine light come up, temperature is fine and it runs great.

You need to confirm if the car is an import (MRS) or a UK car (MR2), once you have done that you can work out how to get the codes read,

Think that since he says MR S on first line, this means its an import, no?

rabscott2003

Thank you for all the answers, I live in the Scottish Borders in Hawick.

The MRS is an import if that helps.

Does anyone know about the speed sensor problem? The clocks were changed from KPH to MPH then the cable replaced but still doesnt work, Could it be the speed Sensor on the gearbox and will the MR2 roadster of the same year 2001 fit the MRS for it to work?

I just bought bulbs so going to replace them tomorrow, also going to hammerite the brake calipers in red and the inner discs in black. Will polish the wheels too. I am going to get the wolf race alloys refurbished next year after winter, as i guy in Hawick does them for £25 per wheel sand blasts them down and re powder coats them.

I am also thinking of replacing the lights to Halogen, has anyone done this and i seen a kit on ebay for £40 should i do this?

I am looking up the oil the oilman said to get think i am going to go for the 5w-30 Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S

Apart from that all i need to do is get the passenger side door resprayed as there is a very small dent in it and a deep scratch which you cant really see but as the door is small i am sure it wont break the bank. The only other thing is to replace the rear fog light bulb which the car supplier never had in stock and the important task of finding out what the diagnosis is on the engine light.

I am thinking of replacing the exhaust system next year too with a blueflame one full stainless twin system.

So if anyone is near me i would like to use the diagnosis kit via scart.

Tonight i am buying a service manual on ebay for the complete wherabouts of everything to do with the car.

Thanks again

Robert 07877469893 if anyone can help.

rabscott2003

i am trying to get my pics on here but i cant seem to do it can anyone help?

E

NELIX   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

You need to copy the IMG code for it to appear with out clicking on it,nice car with TRD kit by the way.

frogger

Quote from: "rabscott2003"So if anyone is near me i would like to use the diagnosis kit via scart.

Hi there,

I think it'll probably be a bit of a stretch getting someone to do full diagnostics, as to date only a couple of people have been able to find any kit that works with the MR-S.

As suggested by Life Of Bryan and skinz - if you have an import, the method in the link above ( l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=30617#p374241 l ) will point you in the right direction of your fault without the need for any other bits of kit.

I would do this code reading check before you buy a speedo sensor, just incase the fault is related and can give you more info on the situation (unlikely, but a possibility). However, as the light comes on after a few miles and not immediately, it's likely to be related to an o2 sensor - but best to use the link above to check the code rather than speculate.

Engine light aside, at this stage I'd say the most critical thing to do is monitor your oil consumption very regulary.
To begin with just see how quick you're engine is using oil (as it's low already this is definitley worth keeping a very close eye on).
Let us know how its looking   s:) :) s:)  

If it comes to replacing the speedo sensor - certainly a speedo sensor from any 5-speed MR-S or MR2 Roadster will fit. Not sure about the 6-Speed box though - might fit, might not. It sounds like the wirings already been looked at, but might be worth checking that no-ones screwed up the wiring behind the clocks whilst trying to fit the kph to mph converter!

Good luck!

Oh - And the best thing you can do with the light bulbs is just fit a good brand name set of bulbs (Phillips often come up trumps).  s8) 8) s8)

skinz

Frogger my local Mr-T (in Edinburgh) said over the phone that their diagnostic's work on jap imports too - reckon this it true or was he trying his luck and had a spare paperclip to jump the socket? :p

frogger

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  I couldn't say for sure. I haven't heard any reports of anyone successfully having their codes read by them, but then again I haven't heard of anyone trying!

Some Mr T dealerships do know their stuff (or at least some of their staff do), whereas others are right cowboys lol.
So hard to know if they were guessing/blagging it or not!

Can't think of a way of finding out for sure without shelling out for it   s:| :| s:|

I'm happy with my paperclip mind. Keep one in the ashtray - a green coated one, colour coded to match the car   s8) 8) s8)    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

skinz

Quote from: "frogger"I'm happy with my paperclip mind. Keep one in the ashtray - a green coated one, colour coded to match the car   s8) 8) s8)    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

What sort of perfomance gains do you get from that?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  -it's the small touches that make a great car (i've gone for a sliver paperclip - pimpin' bling :p)

rabscott2003

Just replaced all lights put new fog light on rear. Fixed engine light problem. Painted brake callers red cleaned discs and painted inner parts black. Used a special acid to clean alloys looking like new. I now need to fix speed by replacing sensor at gear box. Does anyone know where I could get a window washer ARM mounting. It's the 4 bolted middle part that holds the passenger side ARM in place as its woren. Also need new battery before winter. Might get timing belt changed. Replace spark plugs. I do have a problem with power. When I put the foot down there is a delay maybe its a throttle control problem. Can u tune the engine? Going to do an engine flush too replacing air filter and oil.

wbarrwebster

Hi,

Further to your last update, no requirement to change timing belt as it's a chain. There have been various comments over the years but I think the general consensus was that you check the chain for slack at 100K.

B
W. B. Webster

Anonymous

Quote from: "rabscott2003"Fixed engine light problem.

Great,what was it?

Wabbitkilla

Well, you've been busy ... it would be worth cleaning your MAF to see if that cures the hesitation you're experiencing   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

rabscott2003

i done an injector clean and fuel tank flush, also cleaned the piston heads via fuel tank liquid repairer. Its about £25 for 500ml but if you put it in a half tank of fuel it really does the job. My throttle control i much better and its very responsive now with added power anda higher top speed.

As for the engine light problem i was underneath where the sensor was and clean i thinkthe o2sensor but when i get haynes manual book i will do all 3 of the sensors MAF included.

I will post the pictures on monday of the cleaned alloys and brake calipers i painted, they look amazing.

i cleaned the front shields with t-cut. It did make an improvement but did notice the passenger side is much cleaner than the driver which i read is common, however i will do the oven trick with removing the fittings and  and using the oven for 15 mins until the glue softens but i will use some silicon when putting it back together.

Does anyone know how to imrove the power even more does chipping the car work? And what is the best way to tune the engine?

I believe the BHP is 138 not sure on the top speed but i think it is 6.8 sec 0-60mph i would like to improve this some what but not sure about how to. Does changin the exhaust system give extra performance? The only thing is i dont want to install nitro just maybe imrove the power to 160BHP not much. Any ideas?

Robert

Thanks again for your comments and advice.

Anonymous

Your car is an import so should only have 2x O2 sensors on the manifold and cleaning them will not make a faulty one work.You can only tune the car with piggyback or replacement ECU's and mapping.Some gains can be got with induction and exhausts though.

Tags: