My Sable 2005 MR2 - shnazzle

Started by shnazzle, August 27, 2015, 15:20

manos3003

Quote from: "shnazzle"Mine didn't just pass emissions, it flew through like a VW!

That sent me on the floor! Well done!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
I can't recall a day when I drove my MR2 and it didn't put a smile on my face
<strike>2000 Spectra Blue Mica - 2ZZ-GE gone, but not forgotten</strike>
2002 Spectra Blue Mica K20A2 coming up

shnazzle

Finished and tried out my shnazzle special engine head-steady. The results; rather phenomenal.
The cost; rather minimal.

The design isn't flawless as the support bar I put in gets rather hot, which is having a not-so-good effect on the rubber vibration damper.
Nothing a spacer and some heat reflective tape won't solve
...neutiquam erro.

jvanzyl

when you say the results are phenomenal - can you elaborate? I wasn't aware that you had issues with your engine mounts in the first place, so I'd be interested to know what the difference is?

shnazzle

I'll see if I can do a little pre/post video for you
...neutiquam erro.

manos3003

Was this due to engine mount rubber perishing? There's a cure for that, I'll send you details  s:) :) s:)

shnazzle

Engine mounts looked peachy when we had them off during the clutch job. They'll be a bit tired but they're fine
...neutiquam erro.

manos3003

Quote from: "shnazzle"Engine mounts looked peachy when we had them off during the clutch job. They'll be a bit tired but they're fine

So long as the rubber isn't perished you're ok. There's a rather clever cure the guys in Greece use, as their mounts perish faster due to hotter climate. They use windscreen resin to fill it up and it works a treat!

jvanzyl

As in the stuff you'd fix a crack in the windshield with?

shnazzle

Haha. No. As in the stuff they use to stick it into place  s:) :) s:)
...neutiquam erro.

manos3003

Yes, the resin you use to stick it in place. Get a relatively hard grade, avoid soft grades  s:) :) s:)

shnazzle

Hopefully new wheels arrive tomorrow. They'll just get my existing AD08Rs on them. Although the rears could do with replacement this year. Oh well.

Existing setup is:
15 x 6.0 ET45 - 195/50/15 AD08R
16 x 6.5 ET45 - 225/45/16 AD08R

Going to:
15 x 7.0 ET35 - 195/50/15 AD08R
16 x 7.0 ET45 - 225/45/16 AD08R

So the rears should stay pretty much equal with poke and inset being only 6.3mm. That's neither here nor there for the 225s. Just lighter alloys, so that might be noticeable.

The fronts will be interesting to see what the change in feel will be. The inset is 2.7mm, which is all good. But the poke will be a hefty 22.7mm. It means the tyres sit very straight on the wheels, which may actually provide a more stable front, letting the tyre contact patch do the work instead of the side walls.

Shouldn't need any arch rolling anyway

In any case, it'll look a HELL of a lot better  s:) :) s:)
...neutiquam erro.

Topdownman

Exciting times.

Shouldnt have any problems on the front as mine are fine with the same wheels and tyres but ET35.

(Would have been better in gloss black though!).
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

shnazzle

Just noticed in my dispatch email that the fronts are indeed et35.
Will adjust the post above  s:) :) s:)
...neutiquam erro.

shnazzle

That's better!

Fronts are the same weight as stock, but an inch wider, so technically lighter haha.
Rears are a whole kilo lighter per wheel,which I think makes a massive difference. And that's with going up 0.5 inches in width as well

Fronts did go up from et45 to et35, so they stick out a fair bit. Which is something I didn't consider when I kept stock offset on the rear to avoid rubbing. The fronts stick out a fair bit more than the rears. Whoops. Spacers it is.
Maybe I'll get some tiny spacers, just enough to make it not noticeable.
...neutiquam erro.

manos3003

Woohoo!   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:    s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:    s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  

Some dope wheelz yo!

What's next?  s:D :D s:D

shnazzle

Quote from: "manos3003"Woohoo!   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:    s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:    s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  

Some dope wheelz yo!

Interior retrim in a couple months, then nothing  s:) :) s:)  For a while. Just maintenance. Need some new brake pads and a fluid change. Other than that, I'm happy
...neutiquam erro.

manos3003

Quote from: "shnazzle"
Quote from: "manos3003"Woohoo!   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:    s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:    s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  

Some dope wheelz yo!

Interior retrim in a couple months, then nothing  s:) :) s:)  For a while. Just maintenance. Need some new brake pads and a fluid change. Other than that, I'm happy

Mentioning fluid, I did use the DOT5.1 from Toyota previously, thinking of going back to DOT4 though.

shnazzle

I put in a race DOT4 and I'm going back to 5.1  s:) :) s:)  haha

Not built for long lasting. It's hygroscopic as hell compared to 5.1.

5.1 is best for daily/fast road use I think. High boiling point but higher level of water resistance. Save the race DOT4 for the track  s:) :) s:)
...neutiquam erro.

manos3003

Quote from: "shnazzle"I put in a race DOT4 and I'm going back to 5.1  s:) :) s:)  haha

Not built for long lasting. It's hygroscopic as hell compared to 5.1.

5.1 is best for daily/fast road use I think. High boiling point but higher level of water resistance. Save the race DOT4 for the track  s:) :) s:)

DOT5.1 Toyota is the only grade we can do, I think. Maybe some difference in additives? I've not had the chance to do proper research on this. I do know someone who has put another type of DOT5.1 and destroyed his ABS pump.   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

shnazzle

Sure it wasn't 5.0?
...neutiquam erro.

manos3003

Quote from: "shnazzle"Sure it wasn't 5.0?

I'll have to double-check, was slightly puzzled myself   s:? :? s:?

manos3003

Confirmed, he used DOT5 instead of DOT5.1   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

This would make sense, as DOT5 is silicone-based rather than polyethylene glycol -based (DOT3, DOT4,DOT5.1) and the pump in our cars cannot cope with it.

shnazzle

Little update I guess..

I fixed the head steady up a bit after finding out that my cost-effective solution wasn't so good. It was stripping the threads on the block. So I've made a bracket a-la-Carolyn and added a bit more rubber bushing to absorb impacts both to and fro.

The car engine is starting to show signs of aging with little taps from the head and squeaks from the aux belt.
The oil burning has started,but only an absolutely miniscule amount. Haven't had to top it up yet.

So,time to start deciding which direction I want to go and putting away little bits of cash here and there in preparation.

It does get driven hard,but even taking that into consideration, im guessing it still has a good 20k in it eeaaasssiilly before I have to begin worrying.

Not bad at all for 60k of battering and driving up to the limiter.
A lot to be said about how strong these blocks actually are.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
...neutiquam erro.

jvanzyl

I do find that certain driving styles burn more oil, just pootling round - no oil burnt.
Nailing it around the red line - surprisingly little oil burnt.
Driving on a motorway at a steady speed - LOTS of oil burnt!

jonty

Just seen the photos of your wheels... Looks cool!

I've gone for 15x7 et30 all around; I would have preferred 16 rear and possibly a little less offset up front but 195/50/15s are so cheap and the wheels themselves were a bargain so I'll just have to cope with a bit of arch bashing! How close to scrubbing are your fronts?

Tags: