My Sable 2005 MR2 - shnazzle

Started by shnazzle, August 27, 2015, 15:20

manos3003

Quote from: "shnazzle"Oil change time. Sparks were changed 6 months ago so no point and air filter...well...see above  s:) :) s:)  Bit pointless to change that now.
Some nice Fuchs Titan Race Pro S 5w40 in there. She runs looovely.
Finally got the nappies back on and all. Looks so much better.

Spark plugs: Copper or Iridium?
I can't recall a day when I drove my MR2 and it didn't put a smile on my face
<strike>2000 Spectra Blue Mica - 2ZZ-GE gone, but not forgotten</strike>
2002 Spectra Blue Mica K20A2 coming up

shnazzle

Copper.
When I last changed the plugs after a year they were still absolutely fine. So 6 months would be taking the proverbial haha

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
...neutiquam erro.

shnazzle

Put in some colder plugs. Wasn't going to change mine but figured, why not.
These came out.

Running a bit rich and cyl2 showing some signs of wear. Could be rings, could be seals. Still look ok

UPDATE : The engine sound has changed. It sounds a little less muffled and got a bit of my lost TTE burble back. Could be the ecu reset I did but it pulls like a frickin train.

I seem to be making tiny little improvements every time and making little gains here and there. The NA tuning game isn't so boring  s:) :) s:)
...neutiquam erro.

shnazzle

Still no ill effects of the colder plugs.
Really shouldn't need it, and to be fair it ran very well without them. But it has changed the engine note a bit. I wonder if it's worse or better as far as actual combustion  s:) :) s:)
I guess I'll never know until I pull these plugs.
...neutiquam erro.

jonbill

What are you hoping the colder plugs will do?

shnazzle

Quote from: "jonbill"What are you hoping the colder plugs will do?
Nothing. Just experimenting
...neutiquam erro.

shnazzle

When the new throttle body went in the WOT voltage changed for my open loop trickery. Was only sending 88%. Pulled well and fueled well but figured, do it right. So I upped the voltage and noticeably lost power and fueling went off again. So put it back to 88% and all was good again. Odd. I guess the 88% throttle part of the Toyota map is a particularly strong area  s:) :) s:)
...neutiquam erro.

shnazzle

Not bad for a 12 year old car that sees a lot of high revs.

Cylinder 1

Cylinder 2

Cylinder 3

Cylinder 4

...neutiquam erro.

shnazzle

Added some "fun fueling" to my map to promote some pops and bangs on overrun  s:) :) s:) ... Just for fun hehehe.
It's gotta be done.
Is it good? No.
Is it efficient? No.
Does it make me smile?...every damn time
...neutiquam erro.

Redjay

Quote from: "shnazzle"Still no ill effects of the colder plugs.
Really shouldn't need it, and to be fair it ran very well without them. But it has changed the engine note a bit. I wonder if it's worse or better as far as actual combustion  s:) :) s:)
I guess I'll never know until I pull these plugs.

If you don't mind me asking which colder plugs did you put in? It's been suggested to me that I should put colder plugs in too.

shnazzle

NGK BKR6E is what I put in.
Stock is BKR5.

Who suggested going colder?
It's really not necessary on stock or even N/A modified.
Having said that, you're going turbo right? Then the BKR6E or BKR7E will be the way forward
...neutiquam erro.

Redjay

Shnazzle - My mechanic friend who's helping with the install made the recommendation. Hence  he knows more about cars than I do, but not necessarily as much about turboing a '2' as some of the members on the board. I'll add the plugs to the shopping list.

Thanks

RJ

shnazzle

More to tinkering occurred before work. Uploaded the new map with 6% fueling at 0% throttle from 3k rpm onwards.
Then drove to work,warmed the car up had fun. No more slow-down when shifting gears  s:) :) s:)  Drives like an auto box now. Smooooooth power delivery
...neutiquam erro.

jvanzyl

When you do your installation on mine - do I get to choose between "smooth" or "over run" fun?

shnazzle

You're getting the lumpy bumpy over fueling map
...neutiquam erro.

jvanzyl

Quote from: "shnazzle"You're getting the lumpy bumpy over fueling map

LOL.. that reminds me... I need to find my "switch" that I bought for it...

shnazzle

Quote from: "jvanzyl"
Quote from: "shnazzle"You're getting the lumpy bumpy over fueling map

LOL.. that reminds me... I need to find my "switch" that I bought for it...
Ah yeah! Looking forward to seeing that
...neutiquam erro.

CrazySX

The only benefit of using a colder plug is to avoid pre-ignition. This would happen in a turbo engine or where the engine maybe running super lean? The plugs would get so hot they would glow red and cause detention where the fuel ignites due to the red heat of the plug (rather than spark) before it is supposed to. Don't really see the benefit in an N.A. motor. The difference is probably due to the fact the plugs are clean  s;) ;) s;)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

shnazzle

Quote from: "CrazySX"The only benefit of using a colder plug is to avoid pre-ignition. This would happen in a turbo engine or where the engine maybe running super lean? The plugs would get so hot they would glow red and cause detention where the fuel ignites due to the red heat of the plug (rather than spark) before it is supposed to. Don't really see the benefit in an N.A. motor. The difference is probably due to the fact the plugs are clean  s;) ;) s;)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Indeed. I knew the theory. I had the plugs in house (ordered for Helen's car but ended up needing even colder plugs for hers) so figured give it a try  s:) :) s:)  I did a service on my car so figured a plug change, even if colder, wouldn't so any harm.
As I said,it ran smashing beforehand.
...neutiquam erro.

shnazzle

Swapped back to a stock engine lid. Now to decide what spoiler I want.

Took a little video of the Hurricane sucking in air at idle. It's quite loud.

m https://youtu.be/cGnfwVR4Qcc m
...neutiquam erro.

shnazzle

Passed MOT. It was a proper clencher but somehow it got through emissions first time! No problem.

Last year it took two attempts, a bottle of Cataclean and a hard blast.
You'd think my knackered cat would be more knackered this year.

Anyhoo... Happy days.

Bit surprised that my rear Yokos are already down to 2mm.
...neutiquam erro.

Redjay

congrats on the MOT. Sounds throaty.

shnazzle

Quote from: "Redjay"congrats on the MOT. Sounds throaty.
Thanks
It does indeed  s:) :) s:)
...neutiquam erro.

manos3003

Woohoo! Now time to see if mine passes in a month or so  s:D :D s:D
I can't recall a day when I drove my MR2 and it didn't put a smile on my face
<strike>2000 Spectra Blue Mica - 2ZZ-GE gone, but not forgotten</strike>
2002 Spectra Blue Mica K20A2 coming up

shnazzle

Mine didn't just pass emissions, it flew through like a VW!

It barely put out anything at all. Very very low on HC (11/200ppm) and CO (0.007/0.200%vol).

Lambda was a bit closer to the edge but still well within range  (1.011/1.030)
...neutiquam erro.

Tags: