painting calipers

Started by Anonymous, February 10, 2006, 00:55

Anonymous

I was going to paint me brakes yellow to contrast with my 2 which is blue.

But I saw some chavs with their drum brakes painted in contrasting colours and thought I might look like a tw*t.

Waddaya reckon?

Tem

Quote from: "northum"Waddaya reckon?

1) Yellow is rice, try blue, silver or black

2) Search with 'paint AND caliper'  s;) ;) s;)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Tem"

Tem don't tell me that  s:? :? s:?  I have Porsche yellow waiting to go on mine on a nice summer day  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Tem

Quote from: "heathstimpson"

Tem don't tell me that  s:? :? s:?  I have Porsche yellow waiting to go on mine on a nice summer day  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Sorry, just my opinion  s:? :? s:?

I'd match the paint, the wheels or make it "invisible", but that's just me.  s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

Here's my blue 2 with yellow calipers

and a link to a larger picture:
 m http://www.bryn-w.com/downs/P7200001b.jpg m

done with "foliatec" caliper paint

philster_d

Mine are peeling a bit.    s:( :( s:(  

I am gradualy working towards making my car win the tattiest roadster award at this years JAE

kanujunkie

Quote from: "philster_d"Mine are peeling a bit.    s:( :( s:(  

I am gradualy working towards making my car win the tattiest roadster award at this years JAE

mine too  s:( :( s:(  , pre JAE tart up session is required Phil  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

yours or mine  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

philster_d

The thing is Im a driver not a ponce   s:) :) s:)  I cant help driving her.

Not pottering around in a little protective bubble.

Yes definately Stu I have a list as long as my arm.

I realy do need your help on one thing you promissed that was to help fabricate some brackets or something for my Charge Cooler radiator. I have absolutely zero hope of doing this myself, no tools, materials or workspace. *cries*

On the plus side I just got the stuck locking nuts off the car   s:) :) s:)  now I still have to find away to get the stuck back spacer off. I think I need a giant pair of mole grips   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

kanujunkie

guess i'd better bring some of that Ally home then that i've got in my locker, i'm not in work for a week but when i've got it home i'll pm you and arrange a date  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

philster_d

Thanks when its done I can think about booking up....

.... Anyone Hungary ?   hehe

Tem

Uh...please get back on topic...  s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

Thanks for the pics bluey. I like it, but I think I need to be protected from myself.

I might save myself the bother and stick with the cool rust colour   s:? :? s:?

MRMike

Quote from: "heathstimpson"

Sorry, just my opinion  s:? :? s:?

I'd match the paint, the wheels or make it "invisible", but that's just me.  s8) 8) s8)

BOOO HISSS! Tem you are completely wrong about yellow callipers   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   here's why

[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

celmacmat

Digging the thread for the archives...(well sort of   s:? :? s:?  )

I saw some caliper paint on eBay
 m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %3AIT&rd=1 m

Is the Foliatec Caliper Paint cheaper? Where can I buy it?
Is it safe to paint calipers?
Do you recon the eBay one is good enough? For my yellow 2 do you think it will be better yellow or black?

Sorry about all the nagging   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
Celine
Black Porsche 968 Club Sport

roger

Halfords sell Foliatec, in ours any way. IIRC cheaper than that.

And yes, lots have been painted.

Yellow / black, black / yellow - your choice really mate. Why not blue?

I would prefer black or silver, but not into bling   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

evileye_wrx

I painted my calipers Ultramarine Blue (E-Tech paint) last weekend. Will post some pics when I get the chance to take some.

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

Anonymous

Just painted my calipers gold. Got the Foliatec paint from Halfords - it was reduced to half price whereas the other colours were normal price at about £23.

I'm guessing its because gold is probably not the most popular colour but lots of motorbikes have gold calipers and it always seems to look OK regardless of colour scheme. I think it looks fairly subtle, which is good as I want the car to look clean and uncluttered. Anyway, here you go:

Anonymous

Hmm - Actually I quite like that - on a black car anyway. Still torn between red or black for my 2003 silver?

Decisions , decisions....

Two's Company

I'm planning on painting my calipers as they are now starting to look corroded.  My car is Sable, I think I'm going to go for the stealth look and paint them black.

Anonymous

So when you paint the calipers do you need to strip them down at all? Is just removing the pads and masking everything up enough?

evileye_wrx

The paint I used on mine was a brush on type. It came with a can of spray cleaner for any grease which may have been there. I used an old suede brush to give the calipers a good going over before spraying the cleaner. Thats all I had to do before painting.

The job did take me two days however as I could only do one wheel at a time and had to leave the paint to dry for 30 mins between coats and 3 hours before putting the wheel back on.

Phil
Phil

Anonymous

That could be a problem since the kit I've got it a two pac kit and I have to mix before applying - it gives me 4 hours to paint all 4?! I only have only one set of axle stands.........

evileye_wrx

I just had my jack! You'll just have to mix up half your paint at a time.

Phil
Phil

Anonymous

The foliatec stuff just needs 15 minutes between coats so I just did 1 caliper then put wheel back on (I was using the std jack) then went round the other side and did the other caliper then put the wheel back on then returned to the first caliper as 15 minutes had easily elapsed by then etc. etc. round the whole car. Best method would be to jack up one end of the car at a time. You can then flit between each side whilst waiting for the other to dry. Although I've got a trolley jack, my driveway slopes a bit so I opted to use the std jack

If you've only got the std jack, this method involves a good few wheel changes! Just be carefull when putting the wheels back on. Took about 3-4 hours - I was working fast though. I didn't bother masking anything, just used a fine brush to do the fiddly stuff and about a 1" (25mm) bruch to fill in. Left the brake pads in place. For the second coat I didn't bother redoing the fine stuff just went as near as I could with the bigger brush - looks fine.

With Foliatec stuff 1/3 of each pot was just enough to do all 4 calipers with 2 coats. Used a spark plug cleaning brush to clean off the calipers initially and then cleaned with the supplied brake cleaner.

It's quite any easy job when you get into it

roger

I also used Foliatec.

TBH I completed one wheel at a time rather than running around the car like a mad man.......just drank plenty of coffee while I was waiting the 15 minutes between each coat   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

At the end of the 15 mins (but NOT before) I also gave it a quick blast with a hair dryer just to make sure it was dry.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Tags: