Fitting My New Exhaust

Started by leon_in_uk, October 24, 2005, 09:45

spit

Don't rely on jacks - they simply aren't safe or designed to hold the car steady while you're underneath it wrenching things around (as Ekona can testify!).

Axle stands or ramps are a sound investment. Safety first and all that.

As for how long it takes - very much depends - but a solid afternoon & you could be done by teatime!
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

leon_in_uk

thanks spit will let you no how it went...
For sale: 3.5 v6 Nissan murano
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
Porsche Boxster 987, lapis blue, leather heated seats, xenons,, twin pipe...
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport
Silver MR-2, newish engine, clutch new alternator. Gutted Pre Cats..... MODS.....
HKS exhaust. markiii pipe, Anthracite Alloys. Red Calipers with Spyder decals. . Lowered 40mm. 03 vents, chrome jet washers lol... and my helpful Road Angel \":)\"

leon_in_uk

well i tried...

took my bumper off, the heat shield the cover.. and started on the instructions. (to take the two bolts off, with the springs on the cat) and could not get them off, even after really pulling and yanking..

i am going to try again sunday, with my step dad to help. hopefully he has better tools.

how do i get these 14mm bolts off they are really welded on?
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport
Silver MR-2, newish engine, clutch new alternator. Gutted Pre Cats..... MODS.....
HKS exhaust. markiii pipe, Anthracite Alloys. Red Calipers with Spyder decals. . Lowered 40mm. 03 vents, chrome jet washers lol... and my helpful Road Angel \":)\"

spit

Quote from: "leon_in_uk"well i tried...

took my bumper off, the heat shield the cover.. and started on the instructions. (to take the two bolts off, with the springs on the cat) and could not get them off, even after really pulling and yanking..

i am going to try again sunday, with my step dad to help. hopefully he has better tools.

how do i get these 14mm bolts off they are really welded on?

At least you tried  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  Yep, they can be really stubborn  s:x :x s:x

There are a few tricks you can try, but with decent leverage on a solid hex socket they will crack loose eventually. Overnight soak in PlusGas is a good idea too (but don't spray it on hot pipes!   s:flame: :flame: s:flame:  )

I shifted mine using a torque wrench, of all things - the wrench is longer than your average ratchet and the repeated "clicks" of the wrench shocked the bolt loose. Less grief than an impact hammer or torching the bolt - neither of which are easy in a confined space - although you could try hammering a shock through the shaft of the extension while twsting it (two pairs of hands and ground clearance needed for that).

Another trick - perverse though it sounds - is to try to tighten the nut first to crack it loose.

Tamworth is a bit far, otherwise I'd be able to help you out, soz.

Ste
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

leon_in_uk

thanks spit, will invest in that gas spray.

wd-40 didnt work... i will try a better wrench also, oh just drove to work and loads of steam out my engine, happens to be loads of wd-40 burning off my exhaust pipes.. hehe

thanks for your help.. i will try it again and let you know.
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

Tags: