Strange lights flashing!!

Started by leon_in_uk, June 28, 2006, 16:16

leon_in_uk

its not the brakes...

i have been told by the auto electrician it maybe the alternator... he said he has had toyota's do similar before and needs to test if the alternator is working properly or not!!

the cars fine, itself and there is no major problem. it drives and brakes fine, why would i rush.. i dont drive often...
For sale: 3.5 v6 Nissan murano
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
Porsche Boxster 987, lapis blue, leather heated seats, xenons,, twin pipe...
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport
Silver MR-2, newish engine, clutch new alternator. Gutted Pre Cats..... MODS.....
HKS exhaust. markiii pipe, Anthracite Alloys. Red Calipers with Spyder decals. . Lowered 40mm. 03 vents, chrome jet washers lol... and my helpful Road Angel \":)\"

Anonymous

Quote from: "leon_in_uk"i dont drive often...

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   crikey! you may not drive very much, but I don't think your brakes will say to themselves "i know, we'll go easy on this one and keep stopping the car cos he doesn't really work us that hard!"

It's not like having half a tank of petrol and thinking "oh well, I'll fill it up next weekend cos I don't really use much petrol", it's more like skydiving and thinking "I'll get my chute checked for fraying and degradation next month cos I only do one dive a week"...   s:? :? s:?    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Anonymous

Quote from: "leon_in_uk"its not the brakes...

i have been told by the auto electrician it maybe the alternator... he said he has had toyota's do similar before and needs to test if the alternator is working properly or not!!

That's kinda missing the point.

You don't know for a fact that it's nothing to do with the braking system (hence the "maybe it's the alternator"), and yet you're still driving it. As James said, it doesn't matter if you drive 1 mile or 1000 miles, things could stop working at any time.

Put it this way, if it were me I wouldn't even dream of driving it until I had the problem nailed down.

aaronjb

FWIW, I'd agree with the auto electrician - if the battery light is coming on it's almost certainly the charging circuit.

In fact... I'm sure I said that quite a few posts ago...  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "aaronjb"...it's almost certainly the charging circuit...

but not definately!!!

some unfortunate soul could almost be dead...!    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:? :? s:?

leon_in_uk

so if it was the charging circuit, would that explain my heavy steering some time ago?

how much for a new alternator? fitted?
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport
Silver MR-2, newish engine, clutch new alternator. Gutted Pre Cats..... MODS.....
HKS exhaust. markiii pipe, Anthracite Alloys. Red Calipers with Spyder decals. . Lowered 40mm. 03 vents, chrome jet washers lol... and my helpful Road Angel \":)\"

kanujunkie

Quote from: "leon_in_uk"how much for a new alternator? fitted?

pass, ask mr.T
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Chris_h

But check all the connections and earths, belt tension etc

May have been disrupted / not put back correctly during all the engine woes.

Is it still you're existing alterator?
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

leon_in_uk

yes it is.. i am taking it to have the alternator checked to see if its charging properly..
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

leon_in_uk

hi guys, got it checked on friday. told ya nothing to worry bout...  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

he tested the alternator and when i revved the battery light came on. it a slight dim in the circuit. and said wont affect my charging/alternator unless its on all the time. a quick flick of the lights wont really make a difference to it charging. said to run it for a couple of months and it might go...

if it gets worse i will change the alternator. but at £165 its expensive, oh and the fitting, will i have to take the engine out?
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

edward.carter

what about the other (braking) light?

leon_in_uk

its the handbreak light, connected to the charging circuit. and represents the same problem, just a glitch in the system. for a second or so...

i might give my battery a good charge to see if that does anything!!
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

Tags: