Reducing the flex

Started by peppyuk, September 22, 2006, 16:54

peppyuk

Has anyone here tried or know someone who has tried either the Cusco 'PILLER SIDE REINFORCING BAR'

m http://www.japanparts.com/images/ImageF ... =1&no=1577 m

or the Spirits 'Bolt on roll bar' ?

m http://www.japanparts.com/Pic/pic139/pic139/004-011 m
\'In a state of mental numbness\'

kanujunkie

how are they going to reduce the flex?

you need to tie 2 points together to reduce flex or increase the strength within a panel. Those 2 items are crash protection and will not have the same effect
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

peppyuk

So you don't think the side pillars will have some effect? I was assuming the top fixing point would be where the rear hard top fitting is.

The roll bar must have at least 4 fixing points across the floor, which I'm guessing, going on the cage I've seen, can't be far away from the roll cage fixing points and anyone whos fitted a roll cage to a car will know how much stiffer it makes it. I know it's not as 'full' as a cage and hence i assume won't be as stiff, but it's going to be easier to live with.

kanujunkie

the roll cage and braceing will of course give some strength but IMHO this will be minimal. as you will loose most of the transverse strength in flexing within the corners of the roll bar as it goes over your head. I have the davids style bars that are in 1 piece rather than the delivered 2 pieces. Whilst they offer pretty much no roll over protection what they do do is tie the sides of the car together at the point where the hardtop connects.

if i were to try and stop more of the flex in the base pan then i would have to consider the under body brace that comes with the TTET and possibly adapt it to fit with the corkies brace at the same time
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "kanujunkie"how are they going to reduce the flex?

you need to tie 2 points together to reduce flex or increase the strength within a panel.

Just like you said.  s;) ;) s;)

The TPS ties 6 points together with thick bars that bend less than for example the antiflex/breast-plate. It also catches a place that few others do, the "doorway".

I have the TPS rollbar. It made a HUGE difference in body flex. I expected it to make it, but it still surprised me. And that's on top of full Sportivo kit with member braces, both STB's, antiflexplate and whatevers. It also made my rattles go away.  s8) 8) s8)

Quote from: "peppyuk"So you don't think the side pillars will have some effect? I was assuming the top fixing point would be where the rear hard top fitting is.

The TPS mounts in 6 points. The top point is where the safety belt mounts, not where the hardtop goes. You can use a hardtop with this. Other point is where the other end of the safety belt goes and the 3rd is the front seat bolt. You can also weld it on the chassis, if you wish.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

peppyuk

TPS ?

Tem

Quote from: "peppyuk"TPS ?

Techno Pro Spirit, the 2nd bar you linked in the first post.  s8) 8) s8)

m http://www.tp-spirit.co.jp/mrs/index.html m

kanujunkie

didn't realise it had a second transverse bar lower down

[size=100]Stu[/size]

peppyuk

Thats looks good in that shat... can you have the seats all the way back ?

I have mine one click forward from pressing against the back.

Ernie Ball

How much drilling do you have to do to install one of those?

Tem

Quote from: "kanujunkie"didn't realise it had a second transverse bar lower down

The lower bar where you can mount seatbelt harness and the "sidebars" are both removable, so it's possible you've seen pics without them. The lower bar requires taking the storage bay doors off and the sidebars hinder getting in/out of the car, so some may leave them off.

Quote from: "peppyuk"Thats looks good in that shat... can you have the seats all the way back ?

No, the seats hit the bar...you lose maybe an inch or two of the movement, I don't really remember.  s:? :? s:?

Quote from: "Ernie Ball"How much drilling do you have to do to install one of those?

None, if you don't want to for the TPS. It mounts as I described earlier.  s;) ;) s;)

Ernie Ball

Am I correct to assume that this rollbar is not functional, i.e., that it won't protect the passengers if you roll the car?

Tem

Quote from: "Ernie Ball"Am I correct to assume that this rollbar is not functional, i.e., that it won't protect the passengers if you roll the car?

Luckily I haven't tried it.  s8) 8) s8)

Who knows. They advertise it as a rollbar and a safety item. I know it can be used to tow a +1500kg car (don't ask  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  ) and it didn't bend or move at all. I like to think it offers protection in case of rollover, but don't take my word for it, it's just what I think.  s8) 8) s8)

peppyuk

Quote from: "Ernie Ball"Am I correct to assume that this rollbar is not functional, i.e., that it won't protect the passengers if you roll the car?

It said it's functional on the japan parts site.

Ernie Ball

Quote from: "peppyuk"

It said it's functional on the japan parts site.

(Reviving this topic.)

It also says that on Japanparts about the TRD roll bar.  It had been my understanding that the TRD was definitely not functional...

kanujunkie

this one is bolted into the chassis though rather than the top mounts and is also made out of one piece, so if at worse then its a hell of a lot more functional than the trd one
[size=100]Stu[/size]

custardavenger

I reckon it's got to be better that the style bars but it really needs a diagonal brace to have proper protection. Also it would need welding in or more bolts.

That said nice product though.
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

Tem

Quote from: "Ernie Ball"It also says that on Japanparts about the TRD roll bar.  It had been my understanding that the TRD was definitely not functional...

TRD and resellers say it's functional, SC says it isn't.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

It doesn't meet the autox rules in US, which require a diagonal support for a rollbar, so it's not functional over there.

In real life? Who knows, I haven't seen any pics of a rolled car with the TRD bar. But I sure as hell hope it's functional, cause the windshield frame is less thick, without diagonal support and in angle. And that's supposed to be functional as well. I bet the TRD rollbar is more functional than that.

Anonymous

Oh well Tem, you know I'd get the TPS in an instant if it doesn't mean losing the chubby doors.

The TPS is steel/aluminium? Do you know the OD of the piping?

custardavenger

I'd buy it too if i was taking the car as far as changing seats and putting in harnesses. Though would look at getting it beefed up a bit more and welded in.
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

Tem

Quote from: "simontan75"The TPS is steel/aluminium? Do you know the OD of the piping?

Steel. I think it was 40mm, I can check tomorrow.  s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

Tem, can you get some pictures put up of this in your car, so i can see more than what the TPS piccys show?!

Tem

Quote from: "bossman23780"Tem, can you get some pictures put up of this in your car, so i can see more than what the TPS piccys show?!

Can't take any pics now, but I guess I can dig some up. What do you want to see..?

Anonymous

i wanted to see where the bar next to the door finished and have alook at it attached, plus a look at how youre seat was in relation to the bar, you mention you lost some room?!

ive seen the TPS picts on there site but wanted other viewing angles

Tem

Quote from: "bossman23780"i wanted to see where the bar next to the door finished and have alook at it attached

It attaches with the same bolt than the front of the seat. The last pic on their site shows this nicely:
 m http://www.tp-spirit.co.jp/mrs/index.html m

Mine's under the carpet and seat though, so it's not as visible as in this pic.

[/quote]plus a look at how youre seat was in relation to the bar, you mention you lost some room?![/quote]

Yeah, can't move the seats all the way back anymore, it hits the vertical bar. IIRC, I lost two clicks from the range, I can check that later.

I'll see if I can find better pics tonight.  s8) 8) s8)

Tags: