Metallic rattle when engine's under load!!

Started by Anonymous, March 16, 2007, 22:44

RacingSnake

Hmm not sure what you got there otherpeoples.  Mine has reduced since adding a clip but I'm probably going to opt for one of those chunky 'U' clamps mentioned in another thread - the jubilee clip just isn't man enought to hold the lower heatshields in a vice-like grip   s:) :) s:)   so my car makes an unholy rattle for the first minute of cold start up (during which I can silence it if i hold the shields up - then the clip warms up with it & its silent other than for short bursts on over-run every now & then.  it seems to be such a fine art targetting exactly which part of which plate is doing the rattling.

Anonymous

I'm just gonna gring mine off because i went toyota to get a new heat shield and bolts and they said it comes as one with the cat which is about £730. Cant see as it would do any harm as you already have the plastic cover below it anyway.

markiii

it's there to stop teh plastic melting
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

mr2jw

i had the same rattle and fixed it with two new bolts but i am not sure if i have seen it mentioned here but i had about 3 spacers iirc which had moved along the shield, put them all back and do the bolts up, no rattle!

edit- i see innocent mention the oval washer (spacer type thing) but i thought there was more than one but i am not 100% sure.
black 2000 roadster | devs keyhole covers | devs tbl visor | pre-cats removed | crystal side repeaters with chrome surrounds | lt short antenna | jdm front badge | jdm wheel centres | mr2roc sticker |
and lots more to do!

Anonymous

What can I do though, i've heard a couple of members on here say that theyve grinded the shields off?

markiii

you ahouls be ok removing it just remember teh risk with teh plastic
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

RacingSnake

Beats me - I tried a motor spares place today for U brackets like the one used in a post picture - they only do 60mm ones which are no good for this exhaust section.  On the plus side - the counter bod looked over my shoulder & said..... 'What Porsche is it?'   s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D   - followed by   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   once I explained politely!

Anonymous

I used 2 x 90mm clamps and positioned them in a number of different places, but the rattle was still there. So grinding the shields off is about the only thing I can do.    s:( :( s:(

GSB

On my last MR2, I cut the heatshields off with a grinder, as the jubilee clip method just didn't last.
As Mark points out, it will increase temperatures in the area that may affect the plastic, although mine was fine as far as I can remember. It will also reduce temperatures of the exhaust gas going into the main cat, which you will need to remember at MOT time, as the cat needs to be hot to work. Make sure that the tester allows plenty of time to warm up before testing the emissions and you'll be fine.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

dipper84

Hey guys, i had that metallic rattle sorted in mr mr2, i posted about it a few weeks ago. it ended up being the shell, one furthest from the oil pump had gone! to my luck (and through praying) the cam shaft had not worn and didnt need regrinding. i had alot of difficulty in finding a garage which would do it, though i found a fantastic one which did it for £190 sump off, change parts put back and new oil and didnt rip me off....

im back on the road now and happy as... until i find time to remove the pre-cats.

Aylward over and out!......
Chris >>>>>

onion86

Re:
Quote from: "TJK"I had a horrible rattle coming from the heatshield around the exhaust (see pic below).

A jubillee clip was all that was needed to sort it out!

I love you!

It's been causing me embarassment ever since I put my exhaust on. Finally got round to taking a look and a jubilee clip sorted it completely. Went for a drive down the M5 last night and no noise at all!

First started when changing exhaust. Basically taking the stock off meant disrupting the Cat pipe quite a bit to get it out. This obviously moved the heatshields and caused the rusted bolts/heatshield to break in some way. Since then, had a rattle around 2500rpm. It slowly got worse over time until I just felt embarassed driving around in areas where people were walking. Went to B&Q and bought 2x 4" clips for £3.50. Put one round the place shown on the photo and one just on the cat (a few cm to the top right of the picture) where the bolts had also caused a slight rattle to occur too.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

Anonymous

have posted different permanent fix for heat shield rattle under"jubilee clip made rattle worse"thread.

Anonymous

My heat shield was rattling something terrible, only for the first couple of minutes on start up.  Got underneath it with the engine running, to find the pipe itself was causing the racket.  Just popped to B&Q and stuck a couple og huge jubilee clips on it.. seems to have done the trick so far.. Will keep an eye on it, to see how it lasts.

JudoKilli

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I thought it better than make a new one!

I've read through this and a number of other posts, and have decided that my rattle is much the same and the cause is the heat shield pictured above.

However, I've had a look under, removed the nappy to get to it, and when I try and jiggle it around the heatshield shows no signs of movement. Should I still bother clipping it or should I be looking elsewhere? Basically, on fixing your rattles could you physically make it rattle yourself when the engine was cold?

dcod

It may not be obvious, mine wasn't. Have you had a feel around the welds in the corners?
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

JudoKilli

hmmmm...I have, but not fully. I might just put a couple clips on anyway and see if that fixes the problem.

dcod

Jubilee clips fixed it for me. Cheap too.

Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

kidkarter

If any of you decide there's no other option than to remove any of your rattling heatshields you could always replace them with heat resistant exhaust rap ? Doesn't last for ever but is relatively cheap and easy to fit will prevent anything around it melting ! And will never rattle again !  s:) :) s:)

Kylemilne

Guys sorry to reopen this

Iv taken my car to the garage numerous times in regards to finding this rattle

And just seen this

But if it's just clips il do it myself

Where exactly is that located? Is it under the nappy?

Tags: