Which RE 040?

Started by ChrisGB, June 15, 2007, 00:03

ChrisGB

I am in need of new front tyres and note that Bridgestone list 4 different version numbers of the RE040 in 185/55 R15. Anyone know if one of them is MR2 specific? Or what the differences are?

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Chris_h

Chris.

there is a thread on this somewhere from last year - although i only recall 2 codes for 185/55/15.

We never got to the bottom of it, but there IS an MR2 specific tyre. best way to be sure is ask someone who is on original fronts to quote exactly what it says on the tyre wall -- anyone?????

What happened to the Toyo love in?

Oh - I was told by a very wisely tyrefitter (yes, you read correctly) it was to do with tyre wall stiffness / load.

Chris
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

davidhowson

My tyres are RE040AZ supplied by my local Toyota Centre.

ChrisGB

I think I have it figured correctly. There are three versions listed now:

DZ (82V)
AZ (81V)
AZ (82V)

The manual calls for 185/55 R15 81V, so the AZ in 81V should be the correct tyre.

This is now also confirmed by Email from Bridgestone. So definitive answer:

RE040 AZ 81V.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

VVT-i

Quote from: "Chris_h"Oh - I was told by a very wisely tyrefitter (yes, you read correctly) i
Chris

There one or two of us you know   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

The MR2 Specific tyre is the OEM Yoko's A??? (in my shed atm, can't remember the tread code   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  )

As for Bridgestone... COMPLETE NIGHTMARE, (excellent tyres though) they have more tread patterns and compounds than any other tyre manufacturer.. none of which are MR2 Specific. On the "2 I would go for a stiff sidewall for better grip during high speed cornering, something like Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 (if Toyo's aren't your 1st choice)

Check the load ratings on the tyres... might narrow it down a little.

Remember NOT to mix the tyres.. same make and model on each corner or it's ditch time.
2005 MR2 Roadster  (Black)
P.E. Turbo and other stuff that gives 234BHP  \";)\"

Quote from: \"Wabbitkilla\"Mine is a bit stiff when cold, but once it\'s warmed up it slips in nicely.

VVT-i

*note to self... refresh page before posting a reply next time*

s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
2005 MR2 Roadster  (Black)
P.E. Turbo and other stuff that gives 234BHP  \";)\"

Quote from: \"Wabbitkilla\"Mine is a bit stiff when cold, but once it\'s warmed up it slips in nicely.

ChrisGB

Quote from: "Chris_h"What happened to the Toyo love in?

Chris

Hi Chris

I was considering the Toyos, but really prefer the hyperactive feel the car has on the Bridgestones. I have the Toyos on another car and while they grip really well, they also take a long time to recover grip once they let go. The RE040 seem to grip a little less, and let go more snappily, but come back immediately the cause of the skid is removed / corrected. Tyre choice is IMO as subjective as colour.

Chris

Chris_h

Quote from: "ChrisGB"Tyre choice is IMO as subjective as colour.

Chris

Amen to that - having been on Bridge, Yoko and now Toyo, I see good points in all of them - as well as limitations.
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

mrsmr2

Just been out to check my old RE040s in the garage.

Fronts are E040AZ with a speed rating of 81V

Rears are E040Z with a speed rating of 86W.  

Note the rears are just Z.
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

ChrisGB

Quote from: "mrsmr2"Just been out to check my old RE040s in the garage.

There is only one version of the rear in the stock size.

Fronts, OE was definitely the 81V AZ version.

Chris

mrsmr2

Quote from: "ChrisGB"
Quote from: "mrsmr2"Just been out to check my old RE040s in the garage.

There is only one version of the rear in the stock size.

Fronts, OE was definitely the 81V AZ version.

Chris

Isn't that what I said?
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

Anonymous

What do you guys pay for RE 040's over there?  In the United States the cheapest I found them was around $130 front, $180 rear (£65, £90).  It's hard to find anything in those specific sizes, but for that price I can easily buy 2-3 sets of much better tires for my Mk2, and shouldn't have any trouble doing the same for the Mk3.  I can outfit a normal car with 4 new tires for under $300/£150 ($250/£125 if I mount and balance them myself).  For under $350/£175 I can install tires on my Mk2 that perform at least as good as the RE 040s and have better treadwear and wet traction.  I can get Toyo Proxes T1-R in the Mk3 sizes for $68 front, $96 rear, $328 total (£34, £48, £164).  Compare that to the $620/£310 for just the RE 040 tires, and you can see my concern.  (Also note that the Proxes were just the first tires I found on the first site I found on a Google search--more looking would likely lead to even better pricing.)

Personally, I hate the RE 040's.  If they were a third of the price or had twice the grip, they would be good, but as it stands they are super-expensive econo-tires without even the benefits of a normal econo-tire.  They have poor grip, poor break-away characteristics, poor tire wear, poor heat-resistance and don't even look good.  Which leads me to wonder if you guys get them for much cheaper over there to even think about replacing them with the same tire.  Or at least maybe cheap compared to other tires, as I know you guys seem to get the raw end of the deal on parts prices over there.

(Just remembered what forum I'm in--maybe I should be spelling that "tyres".   s:P :P s:P )

enid_b

i have been on bridgestones for the 18 months i have had the 2.  i they still have oodles of tread on them, in fact they look like they did when i got the car.

i have done 18k miles on them too, never had any problems re grip, perhaps im not driving it hard enough.  but those who have seen me will (hopefully) tell you i dont drive like a girl either (no offense [american]) ladies xxx

E
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

Anonymous

I second that E, tons of grip on mine as well.

Anonymous

My '03 came with a set of them (purchased in April), and I've driven them on an '04 350Z.  In both cases, they handled like cheap performance tires I could buy for a third of the price--not like R-compound tires I could buy for the same price.

Ignoring price, they are decent tires.  Nothing inherently wrong with them, and they do grip well enough for stock tires.  They just don't grip anything like their price suggests; compared to other tires I can buy for $620 a set they are horrible.  I can get an entire set of formula car racing slicks for about $800/£400, and I can get DOT-legal R-compound semi-slicks for $500/£250.  The RE 040's aren't anywhere near that league, but are priced like they are.

Mine were brand new when I got the car and I've done about 3000 miles since then, but I'm already showing significant wear (they have over half the tread left, but not 15K more).  I've raced it twice--4 runs at the drag strip and 9 runs at the autocross--but otherwise haven't done much harsh driving (though I don't drive like a girl either).

I dunno.  Maybe you guys get a better version over there.

Edit--apparently they're a bit cheaper over there, but I can still get R-compound autox tires for that price:
Quote from: "markiii"cheapest I can find the fronts is £49 each
cheapest I can find the rears is £57 each
so £224 for a set

enid_b

Quote from: "fosley"but I'm already showing significant wear (they have over half the tread left, but not 15K more).

lol, i wonder why - perhaps this is the reason?

Quote from: "fosley"I've raced it twice--4 runs at the drag strip and 9 runs at the autocross--

Quote from: "fosley"but otherwise haven't done much harsh driving (though I don't drive like a girl either).
- this really made me chuckle in view of the first comment

drive it like you stole it dude, its the only way.   s:D :D s:D  

E
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

Anonymous

Well, it was showing wear before the autocross 3 days ago, and I highly doubt 4 runs at the drag strip would do much--especially to the fronts.  The drive to the strip (about 15 miles) probably did more wear than the runs themselves.   s:D :D s:D  

It's not a huge deal--I'll just buy something else that I'm happy with and you can keep your RE 040's if they make you happy.  Then everybody is happy and world peace will be ours!   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:   Just thought I'd see if somebody had some insight to change my mind.

ChrisGB

The RE040s are a little less grippy than some tyres we can buy, but only a small amount less. The wet breakaway is tricky, in the dry the break away is more manageable. You wont get twice the grip out of any tyre, no matter how good. Possibly a few percent more at best.

The reason I like these tyres is that they communicate what is going on very well. They have stiff sidewalls but don't weigh much, so they don't add much to unsprung weight. The steering response is pin sharp and accurate. I found Toyos T1-R were a bit vague by comparison due to the soft sidewall.

I may yet try something different, but don't know what. The T1-R I am not keen on having driven a 2 with them on. OK but not to my taste. The Hankook RS-2 may be viable, as may be Yokohama Advan Neova LTS. Long shot possibly Goodyear GSD3? Don't know if the sizes will work out on that one.

The car is used on road, wet or dry and does the occasional track day. In the wet, it has proved to be as quick on track as Lotus Elises, 320bhp Scoobys and assorted other nippy machinery, so the tyres cant be too bad. If I was racing, I would go for Toyo 888 or Yokohama A048 semi slick road legal tyres. However, as I am more interested in feel than shaving a few tenths off my lap time, I find these (RE040) to be fun to drive on. The Toyos I have on another car and really cant see me liking them on the MR2. I have found the Toyo T1-R to grip really well, but once the tyre has let go in the wet, it takes ages to recover and if wheelspin is involved, you need to get completely off the gas to regain traction. This is a bad thing on a mid engined car IMO, so the T1-R is not for me on this car. The RE040s let go more snappily in the wet, but recovery is instant with a slight lift of the gas and directional corrections don't suffer any lag, so although you get busy behind the wheel, the car does go where it is pointed, when it is pointed.

Last time I had rears (215 / 45 R16), they were £75 ($145) each including vat and fitting. Time for fronts very soon, but not sure what to go for yet. Two RE040s or four of something different.

Chris

mrsmr2

I have completely the opposite view of Fosley.  They are superior to the T1-Rs.

I might change my opinion when I get the Advan Neovas which I'm thinking of getting regardless of the fact that my T1-Rs still have plenty of tread on them.

Having said that, I've now managed to enjoy the T1-Rs a bit more by keeping the rood up!  That reduces some of the flex and makes the car sharper.  Not a good compromise for a convertible in what's supposed to be our summer.

Tags: