Oil Catch Tank or Crank Vents

Started by VVT-i, May 23, 2008, 20:15

VVT-i

Good evening you fine looking knowledgeable people   s:D :D s:D   I hope you are all doing well on this fine evening   s:D :D s:D  

You may have guessed by now that since I have paid each and every one of you mighty fine looking knowledgeable people a compliment that I am looking for something in return   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  (Isn't it always the way?)

I will now cut to the chase... under boost.. or rather coming off and on it.. I get a puff of blue smoke from the exhaust ans I am looking for ways to stop this.. I have searched and spoken to a couple of (fine looking and knowledgeable people) and have a couple of choices.. crank vents or oil catch tank.

1st.. Which is best?
2nd. If it's a catch tank.. what sized hoses do I need.. 9mm or 15mm (no, I can't measure them because unlike you I am afraid I am not a fine looking and knowledgeable person and wouldn't even know what pipes to be looking at   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  )
2005 MR2 Roadster  (Black)
P.E. Turbo and other stuff that gives 234BHP  \";)\"

Quote from: \"Wabbitkilla\"Mine is a bit stiff when cold, but once it\'s warmed up it slips in nicely.

SteveJ

Mines got both and works fine (provided I remember to empty it occasionally  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  )

Hoses are 9mm I/D

SteveJ

PS. You need at least one crankvent to prevent boost being applied to the crank-case which in turn screws-up the crank seals.

VVT-i

Ok.. so I should get both then...

*goes off searching for prices etc  s;) ;) s;) *

Quote from: \"Wabbitkilla\"Mine is a bit stiff when cold, but once it\'s warmed up it slips in nicely.

markiii

ideally yes

nfauto.com for teh catchcan was teh best  found on price
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

VVT-i

Would that be nfauto.co.uk you meant?

markiii

yep thats the one
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

philster_d

remember to empty it, one of the mk2 guys had his catch fire on a trackday.

Anonymous

Sorry for the bump from ice age but have a question about Oil Catch Tank :p

I fitted my OCT on sunday, (I'm 1ZZ NA PPE intake, PPE Header/CAT) no issue, my car was running well, but today I had a CEL. (fixed one)

After OBD check : P0171 / P0174 codes (Fuel trim too lean Bank 1 and 2)

I tried to re-connect PCV hose like stock and no more CEL.

Then pluged the OCT again => Flashing CEL (the slow flashin CEL) but no Error Code from OBD, only the flashin light...

So i'm back with PCV system pluged as stock.

Is it normal to have that damn CEL with Oil Catch Can or not ?? Many guys who have an OCT are Turboed so they have PFC ou Emanage so... no more CEL from stock ECU, and I can't say if it's "normal" to have it with stock ECU...

Ben

uktotty

I like the look of this one Davy

scottish_turbo

Where is the best place to get the crank vents? Anybody got any links?

NickNJ

Quote from: "scottish_turbo"Where is the best place to get the crank vents? Anybody got any links?

As suggested by Markiii

http://www.et-performance.com/turbo.html

I'm wondering if the mini KV kit will do the trick or will I need the Turbo version?
Black MR2 Roadster

spit

Either should be fine whether you're boosted to engine-tolerable levels or not.

How about setting up a quick Group Buy interest to save a little on postage? I need a pair!
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

scottish_turbo

I would take a pair too.

aaronjb

Quote from: "dabeny"Is it normal to have that damn CEL with Oil Catch Can or not ?? Many guys who have an OCT are Turboed so they have PFC ou Emanage so... no more CEL from stock ECU, and I can't say if it's "normal" to have it with stock ECU...

Lest your question get bypassed there, Ben;

Nope, it's not normal to have a CEL - the eManage wouldn't stop the stock ECU flagging a CEL btw, only the PFC does that.

How did you have yours plumbed in with the KVs? It sounds like you ended up introducing an air leak - actually I had a similar problem (no CEL with the PFC of course) and ended up ditching my catch can because it leaked like a sieve around the level-glass.

Mine was (the KVs are still there, catch can is not) plumbed in as per the instructions on SC by.. er.. oh dear, it's been a long time since I was on SC!
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

spit

Quote from: "aaronjb"Mine was (the KVs are still there, catch can is not) plumbed in as per the instructions on SC by.. er.. oh dear, it's been a long time since I was on SC!

I believe it was Bill (WTS). Buggered if i can find it though.

*edit* I'm clearly Buggered - here it is:  m http://spyderchat.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=26942 m

It actually refers back to Sean's Hass install thread on ROC aswell   s8) 8) s8)
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

VVT-i

My plumbing is as follows...

PCV - catch tank - krankvent - intake manifold

rocker breather - krankvent - throttlebody

Never had any problems until very recently.. p0171 and p0174, same as you ben... never though that it might be the catch tank though... will check it out next time I have the time... I'm 90% sure I have a leak somewhere though, I've got new hoses and fasteners ect coming this week so I can replace stuff... will let you know how I get on here.

Oh!.. I noticed that one of my connections on my catch tank was loose (the actual mounting pont the hose connects to, not the hose itself... I tightened it up and never got a cell as I normally would... but after going to glasgow tonight it came on when I was 15 minutes into my journey on my way home again.

Anonymous

Quote from: "aaronjb"
Quote from: "dabeny"Is it normal to have that damn CEL with Oil Catch Can or not ?? Many guys who have an OCT are Turboed so they have PFC ou Emanage so... no more CEL from stock ECU, and I can't say if it's "normal" to have it with stock ECU...

Lest your question get bypassed there, Ben;

Nope, it's not normal to have a CEL - the eManage wouldn't stop the stock ECU flagging a CEL btw, only the PFC does that.

How did you have yours plumbed in with the KVs? It sounds like you ended up introducing an air leak - actually I had a similar problem (no CEL with the PFC of course) and ended up ditching my catch can because it leaked like a sieve around the level-glass.

Mine was (the KVs are still there, catch can is not) plumbed in as per the instructions on SC by.. er.. oh dear, it's been a long time since I was on SC!

Thx aaron ! (it's been a long time.... do you still have the Ogura clutch ??? )

I bought my Catch Can on Ebay (a cheap one...) it's a closed one, no Kvs anywhere :

More pics here:  l viewtopic.php?p=304138#p304138 l

So do u think that crap can leak ???

To mount it I used an hose to make  PCV exit => Catch Can Enter  and used the stock hose to make Catch Can Exit => Throttle Body.

When I get the fixed CEL i saw my hose (PCV/OCT Enter ) was flattens probably cause the heat under the hood and the depression in the hose when the car run.

So I changed this hose with a stronger one, and it gave me the flashing CEL with no error code... ???

I noticed another "strange" thing when the OCT is plugged, my PPE intake in the fender breath strangely, like me when I have flu :p
at IDLE it makes the PPE breath like an old V8 Corvette, like a car with RPM bouncing from 850 to 950 but my RPMS was ok, fixed around 850 (checked with OBD and no moves on the tachometer...)

I have to admit, it looks like an air leak somewhere... but where?! the OCT itself ?? maybe I should fully dismount that crap and put some teflon everywhere ?!

If you have any idea..... let me know :p

Thx for ur help guys.

Ben

markiii

no it's not normal,

mine had a stock ecu with catch can and crankvents and no such issue,

which hose is causing teh problem?

PCV or breather at teh back of teh crankcase?

uktotty

I think Markiii needs a new keyboard

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "uktotty"I think Markiii needs a new keyboard

Nah just new fingers

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"no it's not ormal,

mine had a stocke cus with catch can dn crankvents and no such issue,

which hose is causing the problem?

PCV or breather at the ack of the crankcase?

Didn't understand...   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Here's a pic of what I did (damn it's so simple I don't understand what can cause this fackin CEL !!! >_< )

markiii

fixed my original post

what you've done shouldn;t cause a cel

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"fixed my original post

what you've done shouldn;t cause a cel

Thx Mark

I think it's maybe gaskets between parts of the catch can, it's so cheap... I will look at this tmr and try to replace them with... something ://

That crap is probably leaking somewhere maybe gaskets or tips...

Do you know what a flashing CEL with no error code mean BTW ??

markiii

if I had to guess I'd say your sucking air into the TB connection and thats the cel

Tags: