Best Mod Ever!

Started by Anonymous, April 7, 2004, 22:17

Anonymous

This is a new one for me, dont think i have started a thread in 'Performance Related' before!

Today i recieved my Apex'i Air Filter and had it fitted it this evening.     OH MY GOD, its the best thing ever. It looks the dogs and the noise....oh baby. I know i'm not the first to get this mod, but please anyone that has a few quid to spend, do this first!

Got it from  w www.whifbitz.co.uk w , was good price and really helpfull.

Anonymous

I may be wrong but it looks like your missing the heat shield for the Apexi...!?!   s:? :? s:?  

Also should this be in performance seeing as it probably doesnt increase performance.... i think the jury is out!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

markiii

yep should be a heatshield.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Slacey

There was a heatshield in the kit (I fitted it) and asked Paul if he wanted it on or not - I took mine off for JAE last year and it has been off ever since... I've noticed absolutely no difference. Anyway, he said to leave it off, so we did. It's still in my garage should he change his mind.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

I also took mine off at some point after originally fitting it, and noticed no difference in performance (as measured by the butt dyno).

I'm sure there possibly is a measurable difference in intake temperature (PocketLogger anyone?), but TBH, you can't tell...

mph

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"Also should this be in performance seeing as it probably doesnt increase performance.... i think the jury is out!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
True, but I can't see Buster being too impressed if the thread is put into the 'Car Audio' section...   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Anonymous

Tell you what fella's you put it where you like....it's still the best mod   s:) :) s:)  
Coley (happy Boy)

Anonymous

Quote from: "Coley"it's still the best mod   s:) :) s:)  

oh i dont know... you tried the antiflex plate yet? now thats impressive!

However, i do know what the APEXI sounds like and it does have a nice sweet sound to it... im only jealous!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Can you believe my missus said she cant tell the difference.....women hey!  s:? :? s:?    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Coley"Can you believe my missus said she cant tell the difference.....women hey!  s:? :? s:?    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

You know what i say to them....

s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

What more can you say!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"
Quote from: "Coley"Can you believe my missus said she cant tell the difference.....women hey!  s:? :? s:?    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

You know what i say to them....

s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

What more can you say!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Tem

About the sound...does it sounds kinda like...uhm...a broken exhaust?  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  Or is my exhaust actually broken  s:? :? s:?  

I have a new engine on break in period, so I haven't revved it above 4k or floored the throttle. But say giving some throttle at 2k on 3rd...or going 75mph on 5th.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Tem

Quote from: "Tem"About the sound...does it sounds kinda like...uhm...a broken exhaust?  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  Or is my exhaust actually broken  s:? :? s:?  

I have a new engine on break in period, so I haven't revved it above 4k or floored the throttle. But say giving some throttle at 2k on 3rd...or going 75mph on 5th.

Figured this one out...the filter heat shield was touching the exhaust heat shield in the car and made some funny noises  s:? :? s:?

Now it sounds like it should!  s8) 8) s8)

Tem

Ok...back to this topic...I'm probably doing something wrong with the install, but I just can't figure it out. Any fresh ideas..?

1) Unplug MAF sensor
2) Remove stock airbox with elbow
3) Swap MAF sensor from stock box outlet to Apexi pipe, making sure the pipe arrow points to the direction of airflow
4) Install the whole Apexi thing
5) Replug the MAF sensor

I've tried to keep the battery out for ever to reset the ECU. I've double- and triplechecked everything and it looks just like for example in the first pic of this thread. Tried it with and without the heatshield. Every joint should be tight and the MAF sensor assembly should be tight. No leaks that I can figure out.

I feel like I'm losing power with Apexi. Not dynoed, so can't really be sure. It's ok with full throttle, but seriously lacking something with partial throttle. Also there's a bigger lag with Apexi than stock box when throttling from idle/cruising.

It has to be an issue with the Apexi or my install. I've swapped between it and stock box three times now and every time everything is just fine with the stock box.

GSB

I think a few apexi owners have noticed the same symptoms Tem...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

I had an APEXi last year, but got rid. I must admit, it looks amazing and when you hit 4000 revs the sound is amazing!!

However, I've just got my Magnex and I am after a filter that will compliment this. These are my criteria:

1.) A filter that looks the Dogs Dagglies.

2.) A filter that growls on tick over and low revs, I want to turn heads crawling round the streets!!   s:D :D s:D   Having to hit 4000 revs all the time is no good for my driving manor!!  s:D :D s:D   s:D :D s:D  

Has anyone tried the AEM kit? Its rather $$$ but it looks the business! Anyone heard one of these?

Any other recommendations?

Tem

Quote from: "GSB"I think a few apexi owners have noticed the same symptoms Tem...

Did anyone ever find any solutions to it...?
(here or on SC...can't seem to find anything  s:oops: :oops: s:oops: )

S7eve, there are some samples of AEM on SC (and several owners too)

SteveJ

You can get the same symptoms by just removing the stock air filter - it's almost certainly due to the software in the ECU not expecting the airflow to pick up so quickly, so it doesn't over-fuel sufficiently whilst it waits for the O2 sensors to tell it what is really going on.

Essentially, there is no real benefit to changing the air filter for normal driving - the only time you will notice the real benefit is with the throttle >80% and the engine in open loop. Even then you won't get the full effect without using something like a Dastek Unichip to convince the ECU to put in the fuel that it really needs rather than what the green-brigade have forced the manufacturers to use!

Tem

So...things might get better with Apexi when I install the Power FC...?

Anonymous

Indeedy

Anonymous

I think this should probably stay here, it probably doesn't give much if any power (the stock air box on the MR2 is quite good) but it will probably help the engine breathe a little better.

Tags: