Suspension refresh

Started by dcod, November 1, 2011, 12:54

dcod

s:( :( s:(
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

dcod

Are these droplinks any good? Seem a fair price.

m http://www.camskill.co.uk/m5b729s2417p1 ... C_PARTS%29 m
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

nathanMR2

Look the same as stock to me so not really an upgrade. Put your name down on the group buy thats kicking around for uprated drop links if you interested. They are looking very good indeed.
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

dcod

Quote from: "nathanMR2"Look the same as stock to me so not really an upgrade. Put your name down on the group buy thats kicking around for uprated drop links if you interested. They are looking very good indeed.

Not specifically looking to upgrade them, just replacements when I change the suspension.

I did look at the group buy and they sound good but when will they be available?

ChrisGB

Quote from: "dcod"
Quote from: "nathanMR2"Look the same as stock to me so not really an upgrade. Put your name down on the group buy thats kicking around for uprated drop links if you interested. They are looking very good indeed.

Not specifically looking to upgrade them, just replacements when I change the suspension.

I did look at the group buy and they sound good but when will they be available?

You will be doubling the stiffness of the springs and this reduces roll by a large amount. The anti roll bars will be working much less than on standard suspension, so any benefit from uprated end links would be minimal IMO.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

FGrob

Quote from: "ChrisGB"
Quote from: "dcod"

You will be doubling the stiffness of the springs and this reduces roll by a large amount. The anti roll bars will be working much less than on standard suspension, so any benefit from uprated end links would be minimal IMO.

Chris
This does make sense, but I think it's more about corrosion resistance which the stock design tends not to give a great deal of, hence an up-grade to stainless makes more sense.
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

dcod

Quote from: "FGrob"
Quote from: "ChrisGB"
Quote from: "dcod"Not specifically looking to upgrade them, just replacements when I change the suspension.

Chris
This does make sense, but I think it's more about corrosion resistance which the stock design tends not to give a great deal of, hence an up-grade to stainless makes more sense.

Wise words from you both. At £17 a pop, I don't mind changing the camskill ones every 5-10 years.

Toplesscouple

Just bought these. Times it by two as it's a full car set   s:) :) s:)  

KYBs and Tein springs fom Camskill. 402 quid. Mattperformance is going to fit them and he also had a Corkys breaastplate which will be fitted at the same time. Comes to around 600 quid fitted including 4 wheel tracking. Excellent price, IMO, for a no frills setup, lowered car and hopefully marked improvement in handling.

dcod

Quote from: "Toplesscouple"KYBs and Tein springs fom Camskill. 402 quid. Mattperformance is going to fit them and he also had a Corkys breaastplate which will be fitted at the same time. Comes to around 600 quid fitted including 4 wheel tracking. Excellent price, IMO, for a no frills setup, lowered car and hopefully marked improvement in handling.

That's great but not for me. Unfortunately, I want to replace the topmounts aswell (another £300-400) and I don't want to lower the car more than 10-15 mm. Coilovers seem the best option for me.

Please come back and report after it's done though, I'd still be very interrested in the results.   s:D :D s:D

nathanMR2

You'll notice a difference with those Topless. Should be able to take the corners even faster    s:scared: :scared: s:scared:
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

Toplesscouple

Quote from: "dcod"Please come back and report after it's done though, I'd still be very interrested in the results.   s:D :D s:D

Will do, dcod   s8) 8) s8)  

Quote from: "nathanMR2"You'll notice a difference with those Topless. Should be able to take the corners even faster    s:scared: :scared: s:scared:

I hope so Nathan. Need all the help I can get when we're out with you turbo boyz   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Toplesscouple

Quote from: "dcod"Please come back and report after it's done though, I'd still be very interrested in the results.   s:D :D s:D

Got the car back from Matts today. Had to buy new front gaiters/bumpstops which added another 50 quid to the price as the originals were shredded. Bit early for any conclusive feedback on the refresh but it does feel better even in a straight line. Certainly not so bouncy/crashy but not overly harsh or jarring either. Pretty much the result I hoped for. Car looks more purposeful too, sat a bit lower.

dcod

Quote from: "Toplesscouple"Got the car back from Matts today. Had to buy new front gaiters/bumpstops which added another 50 quid to the price as the originals were shredded. Bit early for any conclusive feedback on the refresh but it does feel better even in a straight line. Certainly not so bouncy/crashy but not overly harsh or jarring either. Pretty much the result I hoped for. Car looks more purposeful too, sat a bit lower.

That's great. You'll have to take it for spin round down some nice twisty country roads. What is the lowering on the springs? Post a pic if you can.

Getting an oil leak fixed tuesday, then it's suspension all the way, baby!

Toplesscouple

Quote from: "dcod"That's great. You'll have to take it for spin round down some nice twisty country roads. What is the lowering on the springs? Post a pic if you can.

Getting an oil leak fixed tuesday, then it's suspension all the way, baby!

Bit more of a hoon today. CD jumps occasionally now when we hit a pothole but otherwise all is good   s:D :D s:D  

As requested

Good luck with the oil leak and then the bouncy bits   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

StuC

You have deffo lost the tractor stance, looks much better  :-) :-) :-)
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

dcod

Quote from: "StuC"You have deffo lost the tractor stance, looks much better  :-) :-) :-)

Yep, definitely lost that off road ability   s:D :D s:D  Looks much better.

Quote from: "Toplesscouple"Good luck with the oil leak and then the bouncy bits   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

Thanks.   s:D :D s:D

Tags: