Suspension refresh

Started by dcod, November 1, 2011, 12:54

dcod

Hi,

I know nothing about the best suspension components to go for so I thought I would 'sound you out'.

My suspension has been unchanged for 10 years now and has lost all it's 'finesse', to say the least, so I have decided to replace it. I'm looking for decent ride comfort but with a sporty feel. I would also like to replace my topmounts and lower by 10mm and no more.

Standard suspension:
Shocks - KYB £280
 m http://www.camskill.co.uk/m5b0s2418p115 ... ZZW30_1_8I m

Springs - Can't find any that will lower by only 10mm.   s:( :( s:(  

Topmounts -
Tein - £170 (front) + £160 (rear)
 m http://www.camskill.co.uk/m5b0s2417p0/T ... ion_-_Misc m
Toyota - £465 for front and rear   s:o :o s:o  

Coilovers:
BC Racing £700
 m http://www.bc-racing.co.uk/c-bcc18/toyota-mr2-zzw30-00/ m

From BC Racing:
QuoteWe can produce a range of spring rates to suit differing requirements. Our most popular kits are often those slightly softer for daily use, and this applied to your car also.

For your car
C-18 00+ MR2 SPYDER ZZW30

We have a "fast road and occasional trackday" spring rate as 5/7, but I would advise our "Daily drive" spring rate of 4/6 for your needs.

I have currently settled on the BC Racing coilovers at this stage but I would love to hear any advice etc. I have plenty of time, I'm still saving.

Thanks in advance,

Dave
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

Wabbitkilla

You will get a nice result with the KYB shocks, personally I'd go with a set of springs from Prolex added in, but the drop will be around 30mm.
Remember that your droplinks will most likely not come off in one piece and may be worn too so factor in buying at least the rear ones as they are connected to the body of the shock.

BC's are excellent products and the ride is quite firm even on 4/6KG springs ... but you will find the quality of damping superior to the "standard" type items.
Sales backup and parts are also excellent from BC ... you just need to take a certain amount of care fitting them, lubricating the threads for our kind of weather, and adjusting them to your preference. But you can select the ride height you prefer, you aren't limited by the length of the springs. Be under no illusion though, they are much more of a performance damper and people have found that they should have fitted at least a breastplate to compliment them.

It's quite amusing that the tein topmounts work out cheaper than the Toyota oem items   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

FGrob

Don't you already get top mounts with the BC's?

You are going to struggle to get a lowered factory ride with those spring rates using the BC's, I'm running 4 front and 5 back (Tein Monoflex) and that's a pretty tough ride, you would need to go almost around a 2 front and 3 back which I'm not sure you're going to get for the coilovers you are looking at, but you can always ask.

Other things to consider to improve ride and performance is the Megan / Che rear pillow ball control / camber / toe arms, just removes some of the rear movement you can get with the back end.

Then of course there's the bracing side of things, not sure how far you have gone but certainly something that will help again.

Rob.
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

dcod

Thanks for your replies.

I really don't want to to down to 30mm, I believe you lose shock travel (?) unless you use coilovers.

I shall checkout how much droplinks are. I will replace them anyway if they aren't too much.

QuoteIt's quite amusing that the tein topmounts work out cheaper than the Toyota oem items  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Funny .... and sad. You can see how dealers make most of their money from after-sales.   s:( :( s:(  

QuoteDon't you already get top mounts with the BC's?

You get pillow ball front and rubber rear which goes along way in trying to keep costs down.

Bracing wise, which would be better, front and rear or breast plate? (please don't say all   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  )
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

uktotty

Quote from: "dcod"Thanks for your replies.

I really don't want to to down to 30mm, I believe you lose shock travel (?) unless you use coilovers.

But you realise your car came with coilovers from the factory?

dcod

Quote from: "uktotty"But you realise your car came with coilovers from the factory?

Yes, sorry, I meant the BC Racing coilovers allow lowering without losing shock travel. I don't believe the stock items allow this but I may be wrong.

Wabbitkilla

It's best to start with a breastplate and then add front tower brace, then rear if you feel you want it.
You have to remember true coilovers move the compromise of the car away from comfort and towards performance.
You are correct, changing the springs on the standard or KYB's reduced shock travel but with fresh shocks and springs it'll most likely be nice anyway.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

dcod

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"changing the springs on the standard or KYB's reduced shock travel but with fresh shocks and springs it'll most likely be nice anyway.

Whatever I eventually do, I'm sure it won't be as 'crashy' as it it now!

All I have left to do now is sort my engine out, sort my suspension out, add bracing, buy new wheels, change my side vents, respray my car black and lime green, replace badges with likwidart, add supercharger ... I wonder if I can pursuade my wife NOT to want a house ...

Thanks, these replies will help me plan my refresh.   s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:

PeteT

I am not sure what coilovers would be like on a daily drive. I have standard shocks with TTE springs and its a nice compromise.

I've been in Nics car with BC's and its ride is too firm for my type of daily commute. Now maybe his car was set to firm, i am sure he'll confirm. However it handles so well its unbelievable.
Pete

andyroo104

My car has standard suspension with FK lowering springs and i personally think that they have not compromised the ride quality at all.
Andy.
MAF-What a difference a spray makes!!!!!!!!!!!

loadswine

The KYBs from Camskill are a touch stiffer than stock, say 15 to 20%, but they do give a very well controlled ride. To be honest I think, in most situations on the road, they are better than the Tein super streets I had on my last 2. Better because they aren't as harsh as they were and do essentially the same job handling wise. ( That is running with the FK springs, which are lower than the TTEs at the front.)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

dcod

Quote from: "RST"I never want as much a drop as springs offer so I guess coilovers is the way I always go.  Think I'll be setting a 15-20mm drop

I feel the same but want just a 10mm drop. I want to go from 15 to 16 inch wheels which I believe should go well with the drop.

From what people are saying, I'll probably get a set of drop links as well.

I was at Rogue last Wednesday and mentioned wanting to go to BC Racing coilovers. They believed them to be great value for money but did say that too many track days can create a bit of 'movement' in the suspension. I didn't quiz them with exactly what they meant though.

iPap

I'll be interested to know what you think of them!

I have some, took a while to break them in.

Let me know how you get on.
2001, Black MR2, Elise Leather Seats, Aircon and Factory TTE Kit, BC Coilovers, SP Brace, Corkys Front Brace, Devs\' Front Bushes, Rebuilt Toyota 1ZZ Engine, Head and Six Speed Box, Cobra Twin Exhaust, Decat Manifold, Short Shift and Solid Bushes, etc...

dcod

Quote from: "iPap"I'll be interested to know what you think of them!

I have some, took a while to break them in.

Let me know how you get on.

+1

I'd like to see a pic if possible too. 10-15mm drop and 16's is exactly what I want   s:D :D s:D

iPap

15mm front 10mm rear but on 15's!

2001, Black MR2, Elise Leather Seats, Aircon and Factory TTE Kit, BC Coilovers, SP Brace, Corkys Front Brace, Devs\' Front Bushes, Rebuilt Toyota 1ZZ Engine, Head and Six Speed Box, Cobra Twin Exhaust, Decat Manifold, Short Shift and Solid Bushes, etc...

dcod

Nice. Mine is black too   s:D :D s:D   Looks just right to me. 16's and black wheels (but with a polished rim) will create the perfect look that I have in mind.

andy32154

Hi, does somebody know the measurment of original front and rear springs for MR2 Mark3, please?
I just bought MR2, but the spings are lower to original and I do not know how much lower they are and former owner did not know it as well.
I want to fix K1 Attack body kit on my MR2 and I will need to put the chassis as down as possible. Does somebody have experience with that on MR2 Mark3?
I just have an information that DNA Automotive use 85mm shorter springs to original one. Is not it too much???
Thanks for all information in advance.
Andrej

Anonymous

If youre after the unloaded length of the springs I could measure some for you.

andy32154

Yes, the unloaded length of the springs is the best. Thanks you very much.

ChrisGB

Quote from: "dcod"Hi,

I know nothing about the best suspension components to go for so I thought I would 'sound you out'.

My suspension has been unchanged for 10 years now and has lost all it's 'finesse', to say the least, so I have decided to replace it. I'm looking for decent ride comfort but with a sporty feel. I would also like to replace my topmounts and lower by 10mm and no more.

Standard suspension:
Shocks - KYB £280
 m http://www.camskill.co.uk/m5b0s2418p115 ... ZZW30_1_8I m

Springs - Can't find any that will lower by only 10mm.   s:( :( s:(  

Topmounts -
Tein - £170 (front) + £160 (rear)
 m http://www.camskill.co.uk/m5b0s2417p0/T ... ion_-_Misc m
Toyota - £465 for front and rear   s:o :o s:o  

Coilovers:
BC Racing £700
 m http://www.bc-racing.co.uk/c-bcc18/toyota-mr2-zzw30-00/ m

From BC Racing:
QuoteWe can produce a range of spring rates to suit differing requirements. Our most popular kits are often those slightly softer for daily use, and this applied to your car also.

For your car
C-18 00+ MR2 SPYDER ZZW30

We have a "fast road and occasional trackday" spring rate as 5/7, but I would advise our "Daily drive" spring rate of 4/6 for your needs.

I have currently settled on the BC Racing coilovers at this stage but I would love to hear any advice etc. I have plenty of time, I'm still saving.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

I have had the BCs on for many thousands of miles, they are still working well but did get an advisory for corrosion on the springs this year. I have the softest setup which is 4Kg / 6Kg front / rear. This is much stiffer than the standard car and you will need some chassis bracing (breast plate minimum, more if you can) to prevent the extra spring stiffness working the shell too hard. If you are visiting the Essex area, you are welcome to a ride and see what you think.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

dcod

Quote from: "ChrisGB"I have had the BCs on for many thousands of miles, they are still working well but did get an advisory for corrosion on the springs this year. I have the softest setup which is 4Kg / 6Kg front / rear. This is much stiffer than the standard car and you will need some chassis bracing (breast plate minimum, more if you can) to prevent the extra spring stiffness working the shell too hard. If you are visiting the Essex area, you are welcome to a ride and see what you think.

Chris

That's very kind of you, I may take you up on that. Unfortunately, Southampton is a bit far away.

Could you point me to a good breast plate so I can get an idea of the price?

FGrob

Quote from: "dcod"Could you point me to a good breast plate so I can get an idea of the price?
Might be worth speaking to Performance Matt to see if he as any of the TTE cross braces left, do the same job, if not a little better.

Rob.
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

iPap

Quote from: "ChrisGB"I have had the BCs on for many thousands of miles, they are still working well but did get an advisory for corrosion on the springs this year. I have the softest setup which is 4Kg / 6Kg front / rear. This is much stiffer than the standard car and you will need some chassis bracing (breast plate minimum, more if you can) to prevent the extra spring stiffness working the shell too hard. If you are visiting the Essex area, you are welcome to a ride and see what you think.

Chris

I have the same and am desperate for a breast plate the car feel awful!   s:( :( s:(

dcod

So, it's BC racing coilovers, drop links, breast plate ... anything else?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Quote from: "dcod"So, it's BC racing coilovers, drop links, breast plate ... anything else?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

ARB's, front and rear lower and upper bracing and poly bush kit   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Tags: