Backfiring

Started by ChrisHumes, May 28, 2004, 07:31

ChrisHumes

How do you get your mr2 to sound like say a TVR, backfiring and rumbling!??

GSB

Easy,

Rip out the pre-cats, and put an H&S exhaust on it. Works for me, mine pops, bangs and occasionally spits the odd flame out, although if you're after that V8 rumble, you need a V8!
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Slacey

Same here, after gutting the precats (no material there now to soak up unburnt fuel) it pops ang gurgles like a good 'un  s:) :) s:)
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

SteveJ

Quote from: "Slacey"Same here, after gutting the precats (no material there now to soak up unburnt fuel) it pops ang gurgles like a good 'un  s:) :) s:)

Just one problem with that Sean - when one of those 'pops' occurs close to the main cat it's likely to shatter it leaving you with a major headache when you come to MOT time  s:( :( s:(

markiii

the main cat isn't ceramic, you reckon it would shatter metal?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

My TTE was popping (not loudly like an impreza i went for a ride in, that thing pops and its LOUD and spits LONG flames) before its service, its was apparently over fueling....doesn't do it anymore   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Tem

Quote from: "markiii"the main cat isn't ceramic, you reckon it would shatter metal?

We have a metal cat?  s:o :o s:o
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

markiii

well to the best of my knowledge it isn't ceramic in the main cat, however I'm open to being proed wrong as I have no proof either way.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

GSB

Hmmm.  Make the cats that need to be really resiliant to high temps and high speed blasts of hot gas from alternate directions from very brittle ceramic, and make the main cat which runs cooler and only suffers gas coming at it from one direction out of metal...

Thats actually so daft I think it might be true...
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

The main cat is ceramic too. I've got a used one sat here that's falling apart.

I've still got my original cat on and it's still fine. I was running mega rich for months and on down shifts the exhaust was popping and banging alot. It still does now but not as much, and the cat is still together. So if it can stand my punishment you guys have no worries.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Tem

Quote from: "markiii"well to the best of my knowledge it isn't ceramic in the main cat, however I'm open to being proed wrong as I have no proof either way.

I have no idea either way either...usually manufacturers just try to do everything the cheap way and ceramic cats are just fine on most cars, especially N/A...

Edit: Gotta learn to post faster  s:? :? s:?  Thanks mr-s
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

mph

You want backfiring? An overfuelling turbo + hot exhaust can do the trick...   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

SteveJ @ Anglesey, uh, in my car.. (9Mb wmv)
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "GSB"Works for me spits the odd flame out

Must be a big flame if you can see it whilst driving!!

GSB

Quote from: "Peter Laborne"Must be a big flame if you can see it whilst driving!!

I dont think its very big, but the guy following me was surprised enough to mention it to me when we got to the pub...

Anonymous

Quote from: "mph"You want backfiring? An overfuelling turbo + hot exhaust can do the trick...   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Mental video!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Anonymous

I've done nothing to the pre-cats (wouldn't even know how to, anyway) and my Hayward & Scott can rumbles, gurgles and pops superbly. It's great to see pedestrians turning round to see what car it is before I'm anywhere near them. A TTE on Sean's car plus mine at full bore round the streets of Paris on a Saturday night made a fantastic sound.

s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

GET A TOP SECRET EXHAUST AND MANIFOLD  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  
Removal of the main cats did it for me, i guess any performance exhaust without the cat is TVR time but i can only say from experience TS is a deffinate answer to your question  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

kanujunkie

does anyone know how i can get rid of the precat without gutting it?
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

markiii

only one other way, new manifold

LeeUK

Yeah I love the pop bang I get from my H&S, would like to get a manifold before the Dasteck to get the most out of the mapping. I believe the best Manifold is the TRD as it uses all the O2 sensors or something   s:? :? s:?  .  Japanparts are floging them for about £600, a lot of money!
[size=100]JELBE[/size]
MR2 Roadster 2zz Track/Racecar Project ......2% complete......

MR2ROC Go-Karting Champion 2005
[/color]

markiii

as per Grants coment in another post.

teh TRD is unlikely to be any better rthan just gutting teh cats.

Yes the 02 are in teh stock positions but that is part of it's problem, from a performance point of view.

for £600 H&S would probably build you one thats better than teh tRD.

Tags: