MOT failure

Started by Newbie57, October 20, 2020, 16:38

Newbie57

Finally ordered 2 KYB parts off eBay. £62 for the pair delivered. A week to get here as the mr2 will sit on stands for a while

Newbie57

Now I just need to get another dust cover.

Newbie57

Long delay. Christmas got in the way. I have now bought all the parts to have a complete new shock. I built it up only to find that the KYB SM 5215 top mount doesn't fit. The PCD is right but the studs are a bigger diameter 🤬

Newbie57

One side on now and the other shock built up. Turned the car around in the garage ready for the other side.

virginpaul

2005 Mr2 Mk3 facelift

My springs were shot and absorbers leaking (62k miles).  Spent ages researching where to buy and ended up doing a big exercise comparing the places with stock against each other.  Wanted to keep to standard setup.
Here's where I bought.

Fronts
Buycarparts.com
Position/ Article № / Description       / Quantity / Price per unit £   Total price £
1.   SM0059         Top Strut Mounting   2        £ 18,09            £ 36,18
2.   AK-735303     Dust Cover Kit
                      shock absorber      1        £ 40,43            £ 40,43
3.   TSD-002         Mounting, shock
                      absorbers              2        £ 3,78            £ 7,56
4.   35301         Coil Spring      2        £ 34,51            £ 69,02
5.      Safe Order                      1        £ 3,95            £ 3,95
Subtotal:   £ 153,19
Delivery:   £ 0,00
incl. 20% VAT    £ 26,19
Total amount:   £157.14

MR2Ben.co.uk
1 Front suspension Spring top cup seat Toyota MR2 mk3 1999-2007 (Amount: x2) x 1 £50.12
2 KYB Front Suspension Shock Absorber Toyota MR2 mk3 1999-2007 (Pair Front) x 1 £158.00
3 Front spring top cup insulator Toyota MR-S MR2 mk3 1999-2007 (Amount:Pair) x 1 £35.64
Shipping £15
Total £258.76

Rears
Buycarparts.com
Position / Article №    Description        Quantity   Price per unit £ Total price £
1.      SM5799   Top Strut Mounting 2           £ 31,58     £ 63,16
2.      GOM-2724   Top Strut Mounting 2           £ 3,61             £ 7,22
3.      2241948   Coil Spring      2           £ 48,60     £ 97,20
4.                      Safe Order      1           £ 3,95             £ 3,95
Subtotal:   £ 167,58
Delivery:   £ 0,00
incl. 20% VAT    £ 28,59
Total amount:    £ 171,53

MR2Ben.co.uk
1 KYB Rear Suspension Shock Absorber Toyota MR2 mk3 1999-2007 (Pair) x 1 £138.00
2 Suspension Shock Boot Dust covers & bump stops Toyota MR2 mk3 1.8L 1999-2007 (Rear
                                                            pair) x 1 £25
Shipping £15
Total £178

Grand total £765.43.
Now, I sure someone will pop up on here and say "wow man, could have got that cheaper elsewhere/could have got coilovers etc etc blah blah blah", but that's not the point of this post ('cos someone will ALWAYS find it cheaper somewhere else and I "could" have phone around a bit more but frankly, it was Christmas and I couldn't be bothered!)

There's a lot of debate about the correct bits/ part numbers etc etc, so this was just to help anyone going down the same road.

It drives like a dream now by the way. 

Next project, replace front wishbones complete, and all rear rods complete with new bolts etc, front & rear anti roll bars (from whiteline in UK (ships from Zeder copt) because the shipping for these outsize items added nearly £200 for the shipping from Japan!). 

Ardent

Good post.

And the take away
It drives like a dream now by the way

virginpaul

Gaz mr-s

For your future info,  webite affiliate TCB sell genuine Toyota parts cheaper than Toyota do, & MR2Ben....  https://www.tcbparts.co.uk/

Both companies also sell pattern stuff. (but guess who's cheaper..)

Good to hear it's transformed your car.

virginpaul

Given more time/motivation I "may" have also shopped around even more and contacted TCB - their reputation on here is excellent, but it didn't suit me at the time.  Perhaps next time. 

Hopefully, the parts info provided will help any who follow as far as part numbers is concerned, and the suggestion of TCB will be useful in their hunt for availability/ price comparison.

Newbie57

Both sides are now done!😀. The other top mount wasn't notchy but who knows for how long. I'll have a think about the rear struts now. When I do them I'll just buy the complete set of parts and build the shock off the car. Seems little point in trying to reuse anything.
Had a look at the power steering fluid. Completely black, so that's the next job. How much fluid do you need? 1 or 2 litres?

105e

I bought 2 ltr, just in case, but 1 was plenty....

Alex Knight

I flushed two litres through.

Newbie57

What fluid are people using?

Topdownman

I put Ravenol EPSF in mine.

I didnt flush it, just took out what I could and 1 ltr was fine if you are only doing that.

Bit of discussion about it here;

https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=68211.0
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Joesson

Quote from: Newbie57 on February 22, 2021, 11:05What fluid are people using?

Now that is an interesting question.
I read quite a lot on here and the name that comes up most is Ravenol.
But it has been said that this fluid change is done so rarely that why not use Toyota's own.
But then I've also read that some Mr T's outlets fob the unwary off with automatic transmission fluid instead of EPSF.
But then again I have read that is no longer available.
So that is the sum of my knowledge, far from definitive, but let's see "what the team the team thinks".
Not too many on here will remember that phrase!

Ardent

I imagine mine could do with doing.
And if I do get round to it. I will likely go the Mr T route. As above. Likely to be a one off. So why not.

Is it like suspension, you don't realise how bad something is until until you change it.
As far as I am aware, all is good. But what benefits would fresh fluid bring?

Is it a job, a muppet like me could do.

Newbie57

Toyota stuff £45.99/Ltre. Hopefully 1 is enough

ManInDandism

Quote from: Newbie57 on February 22, 2021, 12:59Toyota stuff £45.99/Ltre. Hopefully 1 is enough

That's interesting.  The reason peeps have been using Ravenol was as much to do with Toyota discontinuing their own EHPS (rather than cost).  Is it definitely now available?

I think the system takes 1 litre-ish but you need more than this if you are flushing the system out.

Above video details the process.
Black 2004 Roadster
Previous: Black 1994 Mk2 Turbo

Newbie57

Well the Ravenol is £12.99 on their website although they quote 08886-01206 when the Toyota number is 08886-81250. Still £26 vs £90 for 2 litres

Carolyn

I've had the Ravenol in mine for about three years, with no adverse effect.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Gaz mr-s

Whether or not it's available the Toyota price is ridiculous.

On the MR2 sites I look at most people have been using this..... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GEAR-OIL-TOTAL-FLUIDE-DA-1L/283440027011?epid=2302357667&hash=item41fe579583:g:N5UAAOSw4tNgLp2t

There used to be several sellers on ebay & on Amazon for about £17. Two years ago apparently it was about £10 for a litre..   Of late in the UK it was £20, but it seems like it's in short supply. Covid or Brexit?

On the above ebay listing there is a Peugeot 'quality standard' & this stuff has the same code...... 
 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x1L-MANNOL-LDS-Hydraulic-Fluid-Synthetic-PSA-S71-2710-Citroen-Peugeot/203017561361

If existing oil is black, changing it won't make a huge colour difference, but I read recently that removing the assembly & giving it a good clean gets lots of gunge out.   There is description within the forum as to how to do the basic fluid change.

Joesson

Quote from: Carolyn on February 22, 2021, 13:57I've had the Ravenol in mine for about three years, with no adverse effect.

That's the qualified answer I've been waiting for.
Good enough for C good enough for me.

Joesson

Quote from: Ardent on February 22, 2021, 12:41I imagine mine could do with doing.
And if I do get round to it. I will likely go the Mr T route. As above. Likely to be a one off. So why not.

Is it like suspension, you don't realise how bad something is until until you change it.
As far as I am aware, all is good. But what benefits would fresh fluid bring?

Is it a job, a muppet like me could do.

There are how to's on here and on YouTube to help with the the method and you have mentioned your other spannering on here so all will be well.
As to the fluid of choice I just got my reference, see above.

The last time I bought MrT fluid (coolant) the radiator leaked, and I lost some, replaced the rad. and when that was out of warranty it blew a plug and lost it all. So now I 'm in the camp of a good alternative will do. MrT does not make the fluids for his cars.
How many on here use MrT's oil? (I am aware some me do and I have once) but Toyota racing use Mobil!

Newbie57

Rhys reported Ravenol lasted 2years for him and ate the seals. Any more long term experience?

Joesson

@Gaz mr-s gave us a link to a Mannol product, looking at the product info I noticed:

"Prolongs fluid replacement interval up to 5 years or 200,000 km."

Opps! My 2 is still on OE fluid at 54K!!
My guess is there are a few with even higher mileage .

Tags: