Omg, hardtop

Started by Mr2paul, March 26, 2021, 22:56

Mr2paul

Hello, is anyone bidding on eBay for the blue hardtop? 31 bids and standing at £845 right now with time to go. Omg
Learning is good. Failing to learn is not an option

Ardent

scm2004red

What about the one on there now at a BIN of £1399, but it does include a full fitting kit and stand...!
MR2 Red Edition 2004
Porsche 924 1984

Petrus

In Spain there used to be one or two hard tops offered for sale all the time with the price stable at 500-550€.
Currently nóne.
In the US hard tops are getting more sought after too.
It is imo more of a sign that the cars are getting to be appreciated by enthusiasts than price.

SV-3

Quote from: Petrus on March 27, 2021, 09:00In Spain there used to be one or two hard tops offered for sale all the time with the price stable at 500-550€.
Currently nóne.
In the US hard tops are getting more sought after too.
It is imo more of a sign that the cars are getting to be appreciated by enthusiasts than price.
"Excellent things are rare." (Plato) 8)
'03 Mk3 Chilli Red (Avon ZV7's: 26F/32R)
Sony WX-920BT
"Hardtop Cognoscenti"
"Stock Cubed"
"AirCon Aficionado"
"Keeper of the Beeper"
Ex '88 Mk1b White (Yokohama A539's: 26F/28R)
"Here we all are, rumours and old toffee abound." John Martyn

SV-3

Quote from: Mr2paul on March 26, 2021, 22:56Hello, is anyone bidding on eBay for the blue hardtop? 31 bids and standing at £845 right now with time to go. Omg
If I can obtain this one then I will have a complete set of every colour.

I'm hoping to start a hire business, where the hardtops can be rented for a day etc etc.

The business will launch on 1st April :)
Sony WX-920BT
"Hardtop Cognoscenti"
"Stock Cubed"
"AirCon Aficionado"
"Keeper of the Beeper"

Topdownman

Must be the new bitcoin!
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

105e

The price rise is purely because new owners realise the car looks so much better with one on............

Joesson

Quote from: 105e on March 27, 2021, 11:53The price rise is purely because new owners realise the car looks so much better with one on............

Oh the ignorance of youth!

SV-3

Quote from: Joesson on March 27, 2021, 12:17
Quote from: 105e on March 27, 2021, 11:53The price rise is purely because new owners realise the car looks so much better with one on............

Vera Brittain?
Sony WX-920BT
"Hardtop Cognoscenti"
"Stock Cubed"
"AirCon Aficionado"
"Keeper of the Beeper"

Petrus

and on/off is less hassle than most soft tops on other cars.

The Toyota engineers réally excelled in the designs of up/down of the soft and on/off of the hard top.

scm2004red

I still loved the electric transtop roof on my CRX, wonderful bit of mechanical/electrical wizardry, always amuses passers by, and great satisfaction when it worked (which couldn't always be guaranteed). Best of both worlds.

Had one with a manual top which was much easier and quicker, but not as much fun.

https://youtu.be/w4B0rXvwX4I
MR2 Red Edition 2004
Porsche 924 1984

Petrus

Quote from: scm2004red on March 27, 2021, 14:30I still loved the electric transtop roof on my CRX, wonderful bit of mechanical/electrical wizardry, always amuses passers by, and great satisfaction when it worked (which couldn't always be guaranteed). Best of both worlds.

Had one with a manual top which was much easier and quicker, but not as much fun.

https://youtu.be/w4B0rXvwX4I

Mán that is COOL!!!

The ´when it worked´ though...

Less cool but same iffy was the Peugeot 307 CC of Málaga gf. It was the reason she sold it.

The electro-hydraulics involved in all of the retractable hard tops adds a serious donwside to the otherwise véry practical solution.

Joesson

Quote from: SV-3 on March 27, 2021, 12:38
Quote from: Joesson on March 27, 2021, 12:17

Vera Brittain?

A colloquialism only, I'm not that well read.
Nor am I a pacifist .

Mr2paul

How very dare you 105e !  My opinion is,,, if you want a roof then buy a car with a proper roof ! The mr2 is a soft top convertable, to which some bright spark at Toyota decided that they will sell more if they try to make it seem like a normal car, so the gullible folk buy one. Next you will want a roof rack ! 😉😆🤗🤗🤗
Learning is good. Failing to learn is not an option

Matt

The prices keep on rising like crazy. Each one i've bought has been sold within a few months as I couldn't resist the offers. Then weeks later regret it and buy another one :(

scm2004red

And just for comparison, you can get MX5 and MGf hardtops for about half the price of the MR2, and they are even getting dearer than Boxster ones. What price exclusivity...
MR2 Red Edition 2004
Porsche 924 1984

Petrus

Quote from: scm2004red on March 28, 2021, 07:45And just for comparison, you can get MX5 and MGf hardtops for about half the price of the MR2, and they are even getting dearer than Boxster ones. What price exclusivity...

MX ones are thick on the ground.
MGf nobody wants.
Boxster not quite yet.

J88TEO

My £1,100.00 hardtop....car came with it!

Matt

Prices are mad but will drop soon i expect. Gotta just get whatever you can for them

Mark A

My £400 hard top came with a free car two years ago. I've heard the prices in USA are £1500-2000 and some have been stolen.

Petrus

Quote from: Mark A on March 29, 2021, 17:21My £400 hard top came with a free car two years ago. I've heard the prices in USA are £1500-2000 and some have been stolen.

Well with current prices for some of the larger capacity cats going thataway those are taken from under in staggering numbers over there so why not hard tops which sit ever so conveniently and easy to take off?!

´If you weren't aware that catalytic converter theft is A Thing, well, it is—and the problem is getting worse. According to the National Insurance Crime Bureau, the pandemic has seen a rapid rise in catalytic converter theft. In 2019, an average of 282 catalytic converters were stolen every month; in 2020 the average had risen to 1,203—and that's just an average. In December alone, 2,347 catalytic converters were stolen in California.´ - Motortrend

Roj

Unpopular opinion (hope this isn't against the recent anti-divisiveness rules!)...

I'd prefer a coupe version of these cars if it had a similar shape to the hard top. Would be even better if it had a roof scoop! :D

ManInDandism

I've got the 2004 price Toyota price list.  Standard car cost £17,145 on the road and combined hard top plus air conditioning was an additional £2,400.  You could only get the hard top with aircon though aircon was available on its own at £900.

For the record, other options were:

Body Kit £850
Chrome Pack £900
Leather Upholstery £500
Custom Leather Upholstery £695
Metallic Paint £350

(Also an accessories brochure with other stuff but prices not listed)
Black 2004 Roadster
Previous: Black 1994 Mk2 Turbo

Petrus

Quote from: mr2noob on April 23, 2021, 18:18
Quote from: Petrus on March 27, 2021, 09:00In Spain there used to be one or two hard tops offered for sale all the time with the price stable at 500-550€.
Currently nóne.

Which website do they usually appear on? I would like a hardtop, but shipping from UK is bollox.

Here´s the site and I entered Toyota MR techo duro
There´s only cars wíth one but they do appear.

https://www.milanuncios.com/anuncios/toyota-mr2-techo-duro.htm?fromSearch=1&fromSuggester=0&suggestionUsed=0

I have mine fitted at present and it is a luxury to have it. It is like having two cars.

Tags: