Gear selection stiff

Started by bigtone, July 25, 2022, 19:06

bigtone

I am finding gear selection slightly difficult . I changed the gearbox oil and clutch fluid 2yrs ago. The car has only done approx 2000 miles since having been Sorned in winter (I live in the west of Scotland) Should I adjust the clutch pedal ? The car is a 2003 FL and has done 59.000 mls.

Call the midlife!

Have you lubricated/cleaned and lubricated the bushes on the gearbox linkages?
Where the cables terminate at the box can get pretty filthy and make for a slow change.
60% of the time it works everytime...

bigtone

When I adjusted the handbrake and the centere console was out I greased the linkages. I can check them . Thank you

Joesson

Quote from: Call the midlife! on July 25, 2022, 19:14Have you lubricated/cleaned and lubricated the bushes on the gearbox linkages?
Where the cables terminate at the box can get pretty filthy and make for a slow change.

I have ball bearing type bushes on the gear box end of the linkage and when I fitted them some years ago, I did notice easier changes.
This year, when refurbishing the brakes I had the centre consul off and noticed there were several joints around the gear lever with dry looking lubricant, which I corrected. Similarly the linkage can be greased. Certainly didn't make anything worse.

PS
Noted bigtone has already done the undercover work!

bigtone

Thanks Joesson, looks like a good underneath grease and check around will be a start.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: bigtone on July 25, 2022, 19:41Thanks Joesson, looks like a good underneath grease and check around will be a start.
They're on the top of the gearbox, accessed from the engine bay, probably best to take the airbox out of the way but someone else will confirm that, it's been that long since I ran with a standard airbox I can't remember what it covers...
60% of the time it works everytime...

Topdownman

I agree with CTM, My west coast of Scotland car had a terrible clutch/ gearchange and this was resolved with an extreme clean up and lube (the new clutch was not really needed but hey, its done now!!).

Taking the airbox out will give better access for sure.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

bigtone

Thats good news access from the engine bay. I will certainly give the linkages an overall tomorrow, hopefully that should do it. thhank you

Joesson

Quote from: bigtone on July 25, 2022, 20:05Thats good news access from the engine bay. I will certainly give the linkages an overall tomorrow, hopefully that should do it. thhank you

A good clean up certainly won't hurt anything, followed by a good looking at that will determine if you have the OE rubber bushes at the gear box end, or if a previous owner has changed these for brass or more recently ball bearing bushes.
These solid bushings provide more positivity to the movement.
At one time the bushes were available from a Member ( Nathan) on here but I don't think he is around now, but www may provide another source.

J88TEO

Follow Carolyne's advise and lubed all the moving parts and now my shift is very smooth and precise. I swapped the rubber bushes with spherical plain radial bearings and solid aluminium bushes for the gear cage.

Ardent

Agree with all of the above.

My 2p.

If you don't have nappies. You can also access the big linkage bits from below.

I use a couple of plastic ramps just give a but more elbow room.

Actual bushes etc from the top.

Gaz mr-s

If you just spray the standard o/e bushes with wd40 or similar it can make a difference, & if it does you know it's them.  The gear cables are surely teflon-like lined & probably shouldn't be lubed.

If you want to replace with bearings, they are 8x22mm & better with flanged, & in stainless.  If not stainless, they rust pretty quickly.

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: J88TEO on July 25, 2022, 20:30Follow Carolyne's advise and lubed all the moving parts and now my shift is very smooth and precise. I swapped the rubber bushes with spherical plain radial bearings and solid aluminium bushes for the gear cage.

I'm interested in this.... a few years ago I bought a cheap Dunlop spherical bearing. Correct size, but the external dimension was fractionally too big.... a bit of filing failed to get it in.  December night-time by the time I gave up. Lots of swearing.

Joesson

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on July 25, 2022, 22:19If you just spray the standard o/e bushes with wd40 or similar it can make a difference, & if it does you know it's them.  The gear cables are surely teflon-like lined & probably shouldn't be lubed.

If you want to replace with bearings, they are 8x22mm & better with flanged, & in stainless.  If not stainless, they rust pretty quickly.

I believe that silicone grease is suitable, that is what I used on the similarly treated brake cables on my 2 and put some into the bellows outer and on the inner cable.

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: Joesson on July 25, 2022, 22:36I believe that silicone grease is suitable, that is what I used on the similarly treated brake cables on my 2 and put some into the bellows outer and on the inner cable.

Based on what?  I've lubed my handbrake cables too, because I had to. But if the rubber boot lasted the same as the car, they wouldn't get lubed because there's a liner.

J88TEO

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on July 25, 2022, 22:29I'm interested in this.... a few years ago I bought a cheap Dunlop spherical bearing. Correct size, but the external dimension was fractionally too big.... a bit of filing failed to get it in.  December night-time by the time I gave up. Lots of swearing.
I removed the airbox and the hose etc. That gave me a lot of room to work on sanding the shifter cables. A box socket underneath and another on top and a small hammer did the job. Lubed with silicon grease and that's it. Compare to my other 2 with unmodded bushings and standard shifter the difference is massively felt.

Joesson

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on July 25, 2022, 22:47Based on what?  I've lubed my handbrake cables too, because I had to. But if the rubber boot lasted the same as the car, they wouldn't get lubed because there's a liner.

My brake cables were moving quite freely, the rubber bellows were in good condition and the cable coating felt dry. My understanding is that silicone grease does no harm to most materials and  can improve the flexibility of rubber material.
My reading about bike cables, that are sometimes Teflon coated, suggested that they did not "need" lubrication  but also "a light lubrication is sufficient".
My cables being 20 years old and I believe untouched in that time I felt that a light lubrication would do no harm and could supplement the cable coating and perhaps prolong the bellows life.
I did not use mineral oil or grease because that can have an adverse effect on rubber.

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: J88TEO on July 25, 2022, 23:37I removed the airbox and the hose etc. That gave me a lot of room to work on sanding the shifter cables. A box socket underneath and another on top and a small hammer did the job. Lubed with silicon grease and that's it. Compare to my other 2 with unmodded bushings and standard shifter the difference is massively felt.

Is it steel or stainless?  Part number or link to?

J88TEO

shnazzle

...neutiquam erro.

Gaz mr-s

"This spherical plain bearing requires grease lubrication. The outer ring has a groove and holes. The bearing must be protected from dirt and contamination."

It would need slathered in grease then.  🤔

J88TEO

I sprayed them with silicon grease....so far so good.
Check whenever I am in the engine compartment.

bigtone

I silicone sprayed and greased moving parts then test drove the car today,
the gear change is without doubt a lot smoother. I am sure other members reading this will add this easy fix to their next maintainance things to do list. Thanks everyone .

J88TEO

Tags: