Hard Top (again)

Started by Anonymous, December 20, 2003, 14:27

Anonymous

We have two silver cars in the household, and I've been looking a month for a second hard top - first one for daughter was found on eBay and was red, cost £500 and needed a bit of tidying, it probably was black to start with, then had been DIY sprayed red, before we had it. But it is silver now and looks really great on her car. I had bought the entire kit of parts to fit it from my local Mr.T, but then managed to get just the interior fitting brackets (the dear ones) off that seller for my own car. Got the remaining bits from TurboSpares and fitted my own car up ready a couple of weeks back. In both cars I cut out the top shape from the plastic panels and saved a total of some £300 on the two cars.

Drove 410 miles round trip yesterday to meet another seller, this time for a black one in unbelievable unused condition - it had been on a dealer's demo car  when delivered and registered, but the salesman took it off (as it was spring) the very first day, so the car could be used for demonstration - but almost as soon as they got on the road, something happened to write the car off.
It's been hanging up on a stand in the dealership parts department for 6 months, and then my seller of yesterday asked them to sell him just the stand, and found there was a cover with it - at this point the accountant decided that as they had been paid for the car by the Insurers it was only right to sell the bits complete with the hardtop as well, at a knock down price.
This was only last weekend, concidetally that is when I put up a Wanted ad on eBay that I was looking for a hardtop, and the guy that had bought it contacted me - he already has a silver top (from new) and didn't need this black one. He was such a reasonable guy - offering me the top alone at a price I couldn't refuse, and he ended up paying just £100 for his stand and cover!

So, to the wind-up merchants out there, one of which  firstly offered me a top for £500, but then immediately next day came up something about with a guy in Germany having offered £700 plus carriage cost, so all I had to do was match the £700 and it was mine!(NO THANKYOU); and the breaker who said he has always sold them for £1000 - so what do you think about a brand new unused top, without a mark on it inside or out, for £400 ?????
The black top on my silver car looks quite interesting, can't quite decide as yet whether to get it sprayed silver, or not, after the New Year. The beauty of having kitted the car up with the fittings was in that I just had to go and collect the top on my car - and I couldn't believe how much quieter it was driving home last night.

Anonymous

smr2ley

Interesting report. At the moment you may well have the only two-tone Roadster in the country. Are you able to take some pics and post them, so we can all see the effect? My car is Silver Haze also.

Happy Crimbo
  s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

Slacey

Yeah, I'd like to see a pic too... there was a discussion on two tone car / tops absolutely ages ago, but I don't think anyone had the guts to actually go ahead and do it!
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

dimwit

Quote from: Roger Hsmr2ley

Interesting report. At the moment you may well have the only two-tone Roadster in the country.

Sorry, we got the red "2 with a black hardtop, wish i left it on for the Gaydon meet now.  s:( :( s:(  
As for looks seems ok, mrs likes it but i'm not so sure. i'll leave it on for the Karting meet on the 11th..

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "dimwit"At the moment you may well have the only two-tone Roadster in the country.

There are many two-tone MG-F's around and I must say that I'm not too keen on them.

dimwit

Do like the silver tf vvc with the navey blue hood though...  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Tem

Quote from: "Slacey"Yeah, I'd like to see a pic too... there was a discussion on two tone car / tops absolutely ages ago, but I don't think anyone had the guts to actually go ahead and do it!

There has been pics on SC...just can't seem to find any right now.

...many seemed to like it, but I didn't...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Tem

Bumped into a pic of silver with black hardtop...

Anonymous

I think that looks ok.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"I think that looks ok.
So do I; so may look out for either a silver or black one now  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Very similar to my car - I've now got the whole centre secion of the hardtop covered with a black vinyl strip, just to see how it looks. May go the other way and get it sprayed silver, then have a black strip through the whole centre of the bonnet, roof and boot, a la cobras.

Anonymous

It looks like it was taken in Japan or somewhere like that as one of the number plates in the background is in their format... rather than our UK ones.

aaronjb

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"It looks like it was taken in Japan or somewhere like that as one of the number plates in the background is in their format... rather than our UK ones.

My bet is on America (the text looks more European than Japanese) - especially as the MR2 has no side repeaters on the wing - I think that's a US only thing, certainly was with the 300ZX..

I think it looks OK too - although would look better if it was carbon fibre effect, and the bonnet and boot matched.. maybe.. I think.. Hmm..  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Aaron is right, the indicators on the bumper adhere to the US standards which make me assume it's a US car.

It looks good with the black top, indeed.

Tem

It's from US...the pic is from SC from some local meeting.

Tags: