Front End Respray / Blow-over

Started by Anonymous, January 2, 2004, 12:22

Anonymous

As I managed to scrape the lower front bumper lip on a kerb over the weekend and already have a copious number of stonechips    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    I'm contemplating getting the front end blown over next time it goes into Mr T.

Has anybody had this done or know how much it's likely to cost?

Ray

Slacey

I'll be having this done later in the year (millions of stonechips  s:( :( s:(  ), so will be interested to see how much it does actually cost... I want the bumper, bonnet and front wings doing.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Quote from: "Slacey"I'll be having this done later in the year (millions of stonechips  s:( :( s:(  ), so will be interested to see how much it does actually cost... I want the bumper, bonnet and front wings doing.

Same here Sean.  Bit worried about them blending the colour in (especially with the hardtop) but I'm sure it cant look as bad as the gazillion white flecks on there at the mo.  Got a 20k service coming up mid Jan so should get a clearer picture then.

Any thoughts on using a non-Mr T bodyshop?  (Hmm I wonder if this would create warranty issues?)

Slacey

Quote from: "R2MUL"Any thoughts on using a non-Mr T bodyshop?  (Hmm I wonder if this would create warranty issues?)
Chances are I will be (undoubtedly cheaper I expect...?), not sure on the warranty issue - I think it's aimed more at perforation of the bodywork, so respraying shouldn't affect that.

Anonymous

Quote from: "R2MUL"I'm contemplating getting the front end blown over next time it goes into Mr T.

I know nothing.  What is this, please?

Comer

I had front and rear bumpers resprayed by Mr T for £364 inc VAT.  But in some light the black looks lighter than it was originally.
Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

Anonymous

Quote from: "Comer"I had front and rear bumpers resprayed by Mr T for £364 inc VAT.  But in some light the black looks lighter than it was originally.

Like green?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Comer"I had front and rear bumpers resprayed by Mr T for £364 inc VAT.  But in some light the black looks lighter than it was originally.

Was it just the the bumpers or did they do any of the other panels also Comer  s:?: :?: s:?:

heathstimpson

I've also noticed that the front end chips up very easily on the 2.
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Quote from: "heathstimpson"I've also noticed that the front end chips up very easily on the 2.

Like no other car I've had TBH   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

I'll be researching the best way to stop it happening if I decide to fork out on a paint job.  Definitely not on of those nasty car bras though   s:? :? s:?

Slacey

Quote from: "R2MUL"I'll be researching the best way to stop it happening if I decide to fork out on a paint job.  Definitely not on of those nasty car bras though   s:? :? s:?
The best (and only) thing really it to have Invinca Shield applied; I looked into this and although it is really good, it 'aint cheap.
Invinca Shield website

Anonymous

Quote from: "Slacey"The best (and only) thing really it to have Invinca Shield applied; I looked into this and although it is really good, it 'aint cheap.
Invinca Shield website

Couldnt get a price up for the '2' Sean - do you know how much it is?

Slacey

Quote from: "R2MUL"Couldnt get a price up for the '2' Sean - do you know how much it is?
If I can find it, I had them send me a pack with all the templates, prices and a sample in.. I'll see if i can find it tomorow, if it hasn't been packed!

Comer

Quote from: "R2MUL"

Was it just the the bumpers or did they do any of the other panels also Comer  s:?: :?: s:?:

Just the bumpers after a couple of mobile cowboys made a mess of them!  

But I also got Mr T to spray the grey dimpled part of the front bumper to the same Astral Black as well.
Michael

Anonymous

On their web site search for TOYOTA and MR2 in the search and it shows the MR2 Spyder fitment and the costs.

Anonymous

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"On their web site search for TOYOTA and MR2 in the search and it shows the MR2 Spyder fitment and the costs.

Thanks for NOT posting the costs then Kris!

Anonymous

here ya go mate!   s:D :D s:D  

Standard 6 pieces £144,00  
Deluxe 7 pieces £183,21
Deluxe Plus 23 pieces £376,29

Is for the 2000 version though.

Anonymous

Cheers mate

Wot was the name of that one me and you saw at JAE?

Anonymous

Quote from: "cstevens"Wot was the name of that one me and you saw at JAE?

Cant remember - if it comes to me i will post it up....

Anonymous

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"Standard 6 pieces £144,00  
Deluxe 7 pieces £183,21
Deluxe Plus 23 pieces £376,29

Is for the 2000 version though.

Thanks Kris - got "Nothing Found" when I searched    s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

"Some" 3rd party people are very good.

I use a retired man a few miles away, he is VERY good.  He has done work on my old focus, and my friends alfa and seat cupra.  You cannot tell the difference at all!.

I guess it all depends on how good they are.  For an idea though the work I had done on my focus was a couple of little grazes, Ford quoted over £250.  My man did it for £80 and that was high as he had to get the paint in!.

My mates alfa had a dent in it, alfa said a new wing and respray (£700) my man did it for £170 with no new wing!.

Slacey

Quote from: "cstevens"Wot was the name of that one me and you saw at JAE?
If we are still talking about protective film Craig  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  , then Invinca Shield had a little one-man stand last year, so could have been them anyway?

Anonymous

Had a little incident with a car park crash barrier and the rear wing of my 2 in December  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

However went to a local bodyshop in Burton and as well as having the accident repaired, also had my bonnet and front bumper resprayed at the same time as the 2 seems to really pick up loads of paint chippings.

The respray matches exactly with the rest of the body colour.  Plus man at body shop said that the original paint only had 1 layer of laquer applied, and he has applied 3 as the front takes a lot of punishment being so low slung on the '2. Fingers crossed this finish will be a bit more robust.

I paid £200 for the bonnet and bumper to be completely resprayed.

Comer

Quote from: "ScouserDave"Had a little incident with a car park crash barrier and the rear wing of my 2 in December  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

However went to a local bodyshop in Burton and as well as having the accident repaired, also had my bonnet and front bumper resprayed at the same time as the 2 seems to really pick up loads of paint chippings.

The respray matches exactly with the rest of the body colour.  Plus man at body shop said that the original paint only had 1 layer of laquer applied, and he has applied 3 as the front takes a lot of punishment being so low slung on the '2. Fingers crossed this finish will be a bit more robust.

I paid £200 for the bonnet and bumper to be completely resprayed.

What colour car do you have Dave?
Michael

Anonymous

I'd get it done thru a Toyota dealer.  They don't often use their own sprayers, but contract out, so find one that comes recommended.

I had my front bumper done, and the paint cracked slightly, so they re-did it a year later under w'ty

Tags: