Question to those guys that have changed thier gear knobs...

Started by Anonymous, January 14, 2004, 11:02

Anonymous

Hiya,

I want to change the gear knob on Claires 2, I can get the old one of thats not the problem.  The problem is that the gaitor sits on top of a ridge and is held in place by the OEM knob.

How on earth do I attach something like a MOMO knob that has the screw ring thing on it without the gaitor flapping around as is wont be clamped down any more.

Does that make sense?  It's one of the 6 speed cars if that makes a difference (apart from having an extra gear obv.!).

Thanks in advance

J.

Slacey

The gaiter 'support' (a nylon ring) isn't removed when you change the knob (unless you do my long momo conversion), so the new knob will clamp the gaiter just the same as the stock one did.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

The problem is that the momo gear nobs have a ring that screws to the bottom of the gear nob to cover up the clamping grub screws.  If I leave enough room for this ring the gaitor wont be clamped if you see what I mean!

Unless theres a company that makes an alloy gear knob that screws onto the gear lever like the original?

J.

Slacey

Yeah, I see what you are getting at.. I had mine like that until I did the mod, but I found that if you leave just enough clearance for the screws to go in and push the collar down firmly, you only end up with a tiny gap into which a blob of blu-tack at the front (where you can't see it) would stop it rattling.
The other alternative is to buy a momo gaiter, which attaches seamlessly to their knobs.

kanujunkie

put mine on last week and have never found they flap around at all. The gaitor is held in place on mine from below where there is a ring that stops the gaitor from dropping down. Just add the Momo knob and leave the gaitor alone, gravity will hold it in place!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

i personally think the exposed end of the gaitor looks cool as well, had done this on my corrolla as well and it works fine, just try it
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Cheers guys,

i'll give the "leave a tiny gap" method a try.  It was the same in the mazda as well and that didn;t look too bad but it did have a shorted lever

J.

Slacey

You might have already seen it, but it might be worth trying my momo mod descibed here.

Anonymous

I actually went for the "fit the momo anyway" option tonight and it looks pretty good - ok fair enough it is dark...

J.

Tags: