Too much?

Started by Wullie, April 17, 2018, 18:19

steveash

Looks great. Are they able to recover the centre section or would that cause problems with the airbag?

Wullie

I reckon they could but I was reluctant for the same reasons you mention. The airbag.

I'm not sure how much clearance is needed for the charge to fire. From inspecting the module a piece seems to flip down to allow the airbag to escape and inflate and by re-covering it (and making it thicker all round) you might risk fouling the mechanism post explosion? I've never had one go off so this is speculation despite crashing my first 2!

Might be overthinking this....safety first and all that :)

Enjay

I asked a retrimmer recently about the central airbag area and they gave much the same answer: they could probably cover it but they couldn't say whether it would interfere with the operation of the airbag or not.  So they said they'd rather not do it.

What I have noticed is that, as our cars age, the plastic on that central area does seem to weaken and start cracking.  The one on my MR-S was cracked slightly so I swapped it for one that I found on ebay.  However, it took me a long time to find one that, by the ebay pictures, looked to be crack free.  Most seemd to have little scratches that could have been the start of cracks or had actual, more obvious cracks on them.  The problem was exacerbated by the fact that some pictures were (intentionally?) very low-res and a few sellers clearly used the same picture for different listings so you didn't know what the part you were actually going to get looked like.

Is there a solution to this?  Sooner or later, all these parts will be old and showing signs of wear and tear.  Could such ageing even be considered MOT fail-worthy?

Wullie

3M film?  <100 microns wouldnt interfere with the release mechanism. Prob a lot easier to work with than leather, stiches and felt for shaping round etc.

Won't make the cracks look any better but it will stop it degrading further?

Prob easier to source a late model wheel and scavenge the airbag :P

Enjay

Quote from: Wullie on May  1, 2018, 11:30
Prob easier to source a late model wheel and scavenge the airbag :P
I intend to keep my eyes open for something like that so that I have a spare (no rush though).  Sooner or later, even late model ones will be old too (I guess they already are by many people's standards).

Was the same wheel/setup fitted to any other cars that may have prolonged the production life of those parts?

Wullie

I reckon with economies of scale from a massive manufacturer like Toyota several wheels from previous cars would fit.

The challenge would likely be around the airbag plug that goes from the MR2 into the donor wheel. Not sure if its something that can be cut and soldered or if theres some sort of adaptor?

The sporty Yaris wheel looks really cool but the airbag module is a different shape (I looked into this before shelling out for a recover)

I'd also be reluctant to stick a wheel on that had redundant wheel mounted controls I couldnt use even if it did fit. My feng shui again would be all out of kilter....

Wullie

Also I meant to say.

There is a Japanese Car Breakers in Govan. Usually have 2 or 3 MR2's in albeit in various stages of dismantling!

'Japanese Auto Parts' in Helen Street, Glasgow. I've used them a couple of times for trim pieces and some engine bits and bobs.

Might get a wheel there?

Bernie

Quote from: ManInDandism on April 27, 2018, 20:02
Quote from: The Other Stu on April 27, 2018, 18:15
As per the other thread, unless you cage or half cage it, you're unlikely to pass an MOT without the airbag.

Which specific 'other thread' is that? 

I'm still finding this supposed ruling a bit ambiguous.  http://www.ukmot.com/Your-MOT-Questions/Airbag - sounds like the answer to this Jap import query (2nd question) ain't right then?

I was chatting with an MOT tester yesterday and he says the new test is mainly aimed at diesel cars and bizarrely as I mentioned about steering wheel changes without airbags he says if the warning light doesn't go out it's a fail but if it's disconnected so never comes on it's a pass
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

Topdownman

One thing to watch out for is that the pre facelft and facelift airbag connections are different.

So, if you have a facelift car and find a pre facelift breaker to get a wheel from, I think you would need to get the airbag as well as the new wheel in order to be able to have a working airbag.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Spruce1990

Quote from: Wullie on April 17, 2018, 18:19
Custom recover and flat bottom wheel - I reused my airbag module as my wife is a safety nut

Re-covered by royal steering wheels (Jack) If anyone want the spec I asked for happy to provide it.

So....how much HP gains am I looking at? :)

Just commenting so I can find it again. That looks lovely and the extra room for my legs sounds very appealing!

ManInDandism

Quote from: Topdownman on May 20, 2018, 07:56
One thing to watch out for is that the pre facelft and facelift airbag connections are different.

So, if you have a facelift car and find a pre facelift breaker to get a wheel from, I think you would need to get the airbag as well as the new wheel in order to be able to have a working airbag.

Picked up a wheel a couple of weeks back.  I believe it's from a FL car, but was asked if I needed the airbag or not.  I said no but breaker included it anyway which is just as well after what you say.

Haven't pulled the trigger yet as (a) haven't reached a decision on what I want it to look like and (b) spending money on other mods.
Black 2004 Roadster
Previous: Black 1994 Mk2 Turbo

Topdownman

Sounds like you had a result, if you had said yes it would have cost more!
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

BahnStormer

mine should be here in ~1 week.... asked for the same as @Wullie, but with "mid silver/grey" colouring, so it matches the silver/grey contrast stitching in the OEM leather seats...
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

ManInDandism

Quote from: BahnStormer on May 23, 2018, 11:40
mine should be here in ~1 week.... asked for the same as @Wullie, but with "mid silver/grey" colouring, so it matches the silver/grey contrast stitching in the OEM leather seats...

I always had the stitching down as white albeit having become discoloured over time - is it officially silver/grey then?!

Was going to opt for off-white stitching which probably equates to yours. so will be interested to see what it looks like.  Can't decide on whether or not to delete the stripe though..
Black 2004 Roadster

BahnStormer

Mine is ready now, delivered by Wednesday, in the car next weekend...
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

BahnStormer

Quote from: ManInDandism on May 25, 2018, 10:16
Quote from: BahnStormer on May 23, 2018, 11:40

I always had the stitching down as white albeit having become discoloured over time - is it officially silver/grey then?!

Was going to opt for off-white stitching which probably equates to yours. so will be interested to see what it looks like.  Can't decide on whether or not to delete the stripe though..

It probably is white, but I figured the grey would be less garish and show wear /dirt less...

BahnStormer

Can't decide on whether or not to delete the stripe though..

LOL - I was debating the stripe delete or to leave it... but it looks like they decided to delete the stripe (it wasn't explicitly specified, so I'm not that bothered)... stitching is a little more grey than I was expecting, but very subtle and it all looks really nice and modern.

I'd be tempted to go black OR silver on the stitching.... mid-grey is a little too in between for me.

ManInDandism

Quote from: BahnStormer on May 30, 2018, 22:31
Can't decide on whether or not to delete the stripe though..

LOL - I was debating the stripe delete or to leave it... but it looks like they decided to delete the stripe (it wasn't explicitly specified, so I'm not that bothered)... stitching is a little more grey than I was expecting, but very subtle and it all looks really nice and modern.

I'd be tempted to go black OR silver on the stitching.... mid-grey is a little too in between for me.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Even with the seemingly endless colour combos, think I'll be adventurous and opt for black with black stitching! Flat bottom together with 'Midship Runabout' badging should at least make it unique.
Black 2004 Roadster

BahnStormer

ha ha... yours won't be unique, but at least it'll be a little different and still classy.

See the attached thumbnail (excuse the dirt + keys in the footwell)....

PLUS.... see my other thread (HERE)... the back badges are coming off this weekend and the front will be off next weekend: the full set of Screaming Chickens are already on order (front OEM black badge, rear emblem, wheel hub and steering stickers, roof release insert and keyfob for debadged key)... the only Chickens that I ducked on (pun intended) were the front metal inserts (ashtray/1DIN spacer) and the "NeedForSpeedUnderground" stickers (wind deflector and side decals).

ManInDandism

Quote from: BahnStormer on May 31, 2018, 16:03
ha ha... yours won't be unique, but at least it'll be a little different and still classy.

See the attached thumbnail (excuse the dirt + keys in the footwell)....

PLUS.... see my other thread (HERE)... the back badges are coming off this weekend and the front will be off next weekend: the full set of Screaming Chickens are already on order (front OEM black badge, rear emblem, wheel hub and steering stickers, roof release insert and keyfob for debadged key)... the only Chickens that I ducked on (pun intended) were the front metal inserts (ashtray/1DIN spacer) and the "NeedForSpeedUnderground" stickers (wind deflector and side decals).

To split hairs, 'unique' in being black with black stitching  :) So not totally like yours or @Wullie at least!

And will add some insight to the other thread.

Black 2004 Roadster

carolineasb

Wullie, thought that that Japanese Car Breakers place was gone now after their fire? Haven't been down to take a look mind you, or are they in a different place in Helen Street now?
2006 (56) Blue TF300 (Newbie)<br />2001 (Y)  Silver (Oldie)
2004 (04) Black (The Inbetweenie)

BahnStormer

nothing changed really, but I think the glass cleaner trick does make the airbag a little less shiny....

inside

Nice, looks much better!

Now it needs just some "steering action" and it will blend as one! :D

BahnStormer

TBH - when I'm driving, I'm not looking at the centre of the steering wheel: I'm holding the outside edges (much more "grippy" - size, shape and texture) and if I'm looking down, it's only at the big white dial just above it, but I normally try to keep the roof down, so even that isn't needed!

ManInDandism

Got an email from Royal Steering wheels to let tell me mine's done and in the post - so a 2 week turnaround just as peeps have said. Black/black with a flat bottom.  Keeps the classic ' very dull' appearance. Lol! Will post pics once fitted.

Was pleasantly surprised at how easy the steering wheel came away as recall having to wrestle the one off the Mk2.  And for the time-pressed, workshop manual states that you only have to wait 90 seconds from disconnecting the battery -ve terminal to be able to unplug steering wheel airbag without risk of it going off. 

Black 2004 Roadster

Tags: