Key won't turn to unlock doors

Started by ihs61, October 14, 2016, 12:44

ihs61

HI

I have recently bought a 2005 MR2 that has only come with one key so I want to get a spare and have read many useful threads about re-programing a second hand unit (mine is a TOKAI RIKA, not the readily available Valeo - typical) then fitting it into a new blank case from fleabay.

The problem is I can get the key to un-lock the doors ! it simply won't turn - Its almost as if its the wrong key ! (its perfect for the ignition)

Is there an easy way of finding the lock numbers ? I don't have the owners book not the little metal tab that comes with the keys new.

Any thoughts/suggestions welcome

Regards Ian

mikek

I had a similar problem, you can get a key code from toyota and then have a key cut from that. About £12 from eBay.
2zz by Rogue. Se7en cams. BMC CDA. Competion clutches lightened flywheel, Megillian Racing Exhaust. TRD sportivo suspension and ARB\'s. TRD braces. TRD quick shift. TRD dash kit, Matts brace. Getting there but not sure when it will stop!

JoeCool

Ok, so how do you open the doors/how have you previously? is the button unlocking the doors?

It is possible that the ignition has been re-keyed and the doors haven't (or vice-versa).

If the ignition key is right for all doors, it could be that wear has stopped it opening, you can normaly 'pick' the lock by giving it a jiggle as you try and turn it.

If the key isn't right, a lock-set from ebay or a breaker is probably the best bet, but these cars have locks EVERYWHERE (glove box, boot/filler release, 2 storage bins as well as ignition and door) then you can run the whole car off of one new key again.

Best to start out by working out what you have, and which locks the key will open. SOunds like you might have a hasty-re key job to get the car sold. Any trace of theft on the HPI check?
2ZZ '02 Roadster

ihs61

Hi
Thanks for replys.
I assume that I have a master key that un-locks everything apart from the doors ? the remote works perfectly to lock and unlock the car.

As for the doors not unlocking with the key (old school) ????? locks changed or possibly mega gummed up with crud through never being used.

I have bought a new blank and a second hand fob (hopefully the correct one)  I will be getting the blade cut next week end and will have a go at re-programming.

Cheers Ian

gazza1286

Can you be sure that the existing blade was 'cut to code' or could it have been cut on a duplicator? I previously had a Celica where the key worked the ignition but grinded in the door lock. I found that it had been made on a duplicator. A fresh key from the dealer 'cut to code' solved the problem.

Bossworld

I've just had two keys cut from a photograph supplied.  The guy who cut them provided the code with the order, and I went into Toyota today to confirm this is the correct code (which it is).

Unfortunately, of the two keys he cut:

1) Turns the ignition both sides up, no luck on the doors, bins or glovebox.
2) Turns the ignition one way up, no luck on the doors, bins or glovebox.

Had a quick chat with the lads on a market stall earlier today and they very kindly tried to match them to my one original Toyota key.  Said there was a fair bit needed taking off.

The first key is now perfect and works all locks - bit stiff on the passenger side bin but will hopefully wear down now. Unfortunately, the second is now next to useless unless you really shove it in the ignition (which presumably at 125k miles is well and truly worn anyway).

Rather annoyed to say the least, the guy didn't answer my follow up email and part of me thinks I should raise a Paypal dispute (albeit now I've had both keys adjusted, I guess that's my loss).

tl;dr version - be wary of just cutting according to the code on an older car.

Tags: