New head unit

Started by Standard, April 2, 2017, 18:08

Standard

I never thought to not use the cage and screw into the metal panels but that just means that the prongs will still poke out.

I've fitted a few head units over the years and never had this kind of faff!

beavisrules

Aren't the prongs also just held on with a couple of screws?
Put the screws back in after removing if that works.
If you had the Pre facelift sony radio fit the surround from that if the pioneer one doesn't

Though your new radio should use the same mounting your old one had , and you only need the bare radio without the extra pioneer fitting items.

Standard

I think that's what I'm doing wrong. I've convinced myself I need the cage (like every other stereo I've fitted).

I'll play around some more when I get home.

The Other Stu

I've not had the cage on either of mine. I simply stole the 4 screws and the holder from the stock radio and used those.
Radios have the correct screw holes in the right places already.
Like this
No Longer Here

Standard

I see you have the FL plates...

The Other Stu

Shouldn't make the difference though. The radio that came with the car was bizarrely a PFL.
No Longer Here

Smcknighty

You can buy the fascia trim I think. Halfords sell it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Standard

Sorted it and I changed the dash bulb while I was at it.   s:) :) s:)  

The bits I could t get my head around were actually NOT using the cage and using the original surround instead of the one that came with a the new head unit.

Now to fit the speakers... I can only imagine the pigs ear I'm going to make of that!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

The Other Stu

That's the easier bit. You did buy some deadening didn't you? That alone made a huge difference. All that bass pinging around an empty door shell doesn't sound brilliant.
No Longer Here

Tags: