Head unit position

Started by garpat32, February 15, 2020, 19:01

garpat32

Hi, so looks like I've decided to upgrade the unit, and there's a load of options and type of units.

So I was thinking, has anyone used the top of dash "compartment" to house a head unit?

I realise it will need a bit of work and the dash cutting etc but it would be interesting to see if if was feasible.

:)

Cheers

Call the midlife!

It's doable and been done before, the main thing to bear in mind is the distance away from your reach and what type of user interface you want.
Modern touch screens are popular but can be hard to see with the top down and you need a steady finger to hit the right part of the screen on a B road.
The mechless units with built in sat nav cover two bases too and most of them are "cage fit" so mainly a case of making a hole for the cables and fastening the cage down to the cubby floor.
The standard lid probably won't fit though so you'll have to get creative.
60% of the time it works everytime...

househead

Just wondering why you would want to do this?

I know the oem space for it isn't ideal (having a short shifter helps), but it is a ready-made mounting point. Are you trying to keep the oem one in addition to an aftermarket one or is it just the positioning?
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

garpat32

Just wondering really, as the dash compartment thing looks like its in a great position to install a sat nav head unit.

I would be removing the original unit and either making that space storage or just opening it up with nothing in there.

shnazzle

I would love it higher as well. 
It's too fiddly down there. 
I'd rather have the heater controls under the radio.
...neutiquam erro.

househead

Quote from: shnazzle on February 15, 2020, 22:40I would love it higher as well.

Yea that would be pretty optimal tbf!

The top cubby would be too high for me. I have the seat in the lowest setting and it would be a visibility distraction for me. Not even sure I could tolerate gauges or anything in the open dash cubby space.
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

Topdownman

I tried a sat nav double din HU in the standard place for a while and it didnt work. It was too low and with the top down and sun out, I couldnt see the screen.

I now have a single din and use my sat nav on the windscreen again, it is the easiest to see plus you dont have to change the focus of your eyes to look at so the safest too.

I have considered the sat nav in the cubby hole but my reversing camera screen is now there.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

delhusband

Quote from: househead on February 16, 2020, 01:00
Quote from: shnazzle on February 15, 2020, 22:40I would love it higher as well.

Yea that would be pretty optimal tbf!

The top cubby would be too high for me. I have the seat in the lowest setting and it would be a visibility distraction for me. Not even sure I could tolerate gauges or anything in the open dash cubby space.
A while back I'd wondered if it was possible to move the heater controls, @Call the midlife! you'd said it's been done before.  Shifting heater controls down, and putting head unit up would be great if it's do-able, looked like some effort, especially with link cables as StuC had said.

Double Din HU and Air/Heater control positions
Hate pointy animals

Call the midlife!

A blerk on Facebook did it a few months ago but used the HVAC unit from a HiLux or something, can't really remember the details as it wasn't something I had in mind.
60% of the time it works everytime...

garpat32

Think that's far too adventurous for me like. :-[

delhusband

Quote from: garpat32 on February 16, 2020, 08:57Think that's far too adventurous for me like. :-[
me too 🙂
Hate pointy animals

Tags: