Help with ariel mod.

Started by Anonymous, August 17, 2005, 20:47

Anonymous

I am wanting to use the useless passenger window switch to turn the electric ariel on and off (up and down) I have cut and re wired the two wires from behind the switch to make the passenger window work and wired two wires from the switch to go to the stereo. But which wire is for the electric antena coming out the back of the stock stereo. Its not green or brown, tried these?
'03 model  Help!  s:? :? s:?

kanujunkie

[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

philster_d

There I  knew someone would know. good call

Anonymous

thanks, I will have a go today.  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Anyone who loves action movies, isnt it so tempting to post the following:-

Quote from: "kanujunkie"its the black wire

NOOOO! Its the blue wire, its always the blue wire.   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Sorry, i'll get my coat   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

ninjinski

Richard, hi

Did u get this done!

If so, can you please post exactly what u did? I took the switch off today and there are 2 wires (red and 1 black and white IIRC).

What did u do to the switch and roughly where on back of stereo does the black wire connect and how did u connect this to the switch?

- Just asking as I have sat nav on my Toyota radio and perhaps there is more than 1 black wire!

Help would be much appreciated as since I've fitted my in-car TV I'm a bit aerial mad on the back with both up!

Tnks   s:D :D s:D
Sable

PERF: TTE TURBO & exhaust, BC Coilovers Markii inlet TRD brace SP Downpipe Exedy Cerametalic Clutch TRD Short Shifter w brass bushings EBC discs/pads OMP steering wheel, front diffuser
ICE: JVC headunit JBL P652s Alpine SWD1600 & 2000 woofers Kenwood 600W amp
EXTERNAL: Mr T spoiler. black brake calipers Dynamat Toyota dust caps Dev\'s keyhole covers Simon\'s hairpins
INTERNAL: Red leather Carbon sill guards TRD stickers Mongo deflectors Chrome gear & dial surrounds Gregg\'s custom logo plate Taurec gauges

philster_d

I did min but ive plummed into the aftermarket stereo wiring loom so I cant answer your questrion sorry.

Philster.

ninjinski

Quote from: "philster_d"I did min but ive plummed into the aftermarket stereo wiring loom so I cant answer your questrion sorry.

Philster.

In terms of the switch itself you could be of help to me - Can u remember how you wired that? Tnks Philster.
Sable

PERF: TTE TURBO & exhaust, BC Coilovers Markii inlet TRD brace SP Downpipe Exedy Cerametalic Clutch TRD Short Shifter w brass bushings EBC discs/pads OMP steering wheel, front diffuser
EXTERNAL: Mr T spoiler. black brake calipers Dynamat Toyota dust caps Dev\'s keyhole covers Simon\'s hairpins
INTERNAL: Red leather Carbon sill guards TRD stickers Mongo deflectors Chrome gear & dial surrounds Gregg\'s custom logo plate Taurec gauges

ninjinski

sh1t - looks like there may be 2 wires for the ariel in the fisher price unit - from spyderchat

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzep5one/Spyder%20radio%20wiring.htm
Sable

VVT-i

!st of all i have done a search, and this is the closest to the info i need that i have found..

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzep5one/Spyder%20radio%20wiring.htm

........ but..

Power Antenna Wire 1         More information Pending
Power Antenna Wire 2         More information Pending

I have just fitted touch screen DVD player to my 2005 MR-s, everything is working fine except the power ariel.. what i need to know is.. what wires are for the ariel.. can anyone tell me what wires i need to connect to the head unit ? ( i know what wires it is on the head unit) please.

Davy.
2005 MR2 Roadster  (Black)
P.E. Turbo and other stuff that gives 234BHP  \";)\"

Quote from: \"Wabbitkilla\"Mine is a bit stiff when cold, but once it\'s warmed up it slips in nicely.

roger

Not very good at reading electrical diagrams, but it looks like the wires that go from Auto Antenna relay to the motor are Blue / Red for up, Blue / White for down.

Does this help?
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

GSB

Quote from: "roger"Not very good at reading electrical diagrams, but it looks like the wires that go from Auto Antenna relay to the motor are Blue / Red for up, Blue / White for down.

Does this help?

Whoah there...! STOP!

Guys, its just one (1) single wire you are looking for... The Power antenna function is simple. You put 12volts on the wire, the antenna goes up, you take the 12 volts away, it goes down... If you hang on a minute, I'll use the search and find which wire in the toyota loom you need to run through the switch to be able to drop the antenna when its not required.

(Thats not a usual "Use the bloody search!" request from your mod by the way, Its just that I'll find it quicker because I wrote it...)
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

GSB

OK,

Here's the info you require....

Quote from: "GSB"The best way to cure this problem, and by far the easiest way, is to install a switch in the antenna line. Heres how:

Step 1/ Reach up behind the dash and push out the Passenger window disable switch from behind. You need to press in the tabs on the top and bottom of the switch.

Step 2/ Cut the wires off of the back of the switch leaving roughly 1 inch of wire on the back.

Step 3/ Strip, join and then insulate the wires left sticking out of the dash, to enable the passenger window. Tuck them back through the hole and be safe in the knowledge that you'll never inadvertantly turn your window off ever again.

Step 4/ Join a length of wire long enough to reach to the back of the Stereo to each of the 1 inch lengths you left on the back of the switch. Feel free to use crimps, solder... whatever, just make sure you insulate it afterwards.

Step 5/ Run the wires through to the back of the stereo, and re-install the switch.

Step 6/ Locate the electrical antenna feed coming out of the back of the stereo. This will differ slightly depending upon weather you have an aftermarket unit or not, which will use an ISO plug adapter piece. If thats the case then its easy. You find the Blue wire that is connected from the stereo into the cars loom. Cut it and then connect the 2 wires you ran in from the switch to the 2 cut ends, and your antenna will go up and down simply by pressing the switch.

On cars with the stock head unit, you need to cut into a wire in the vehicles own stereo wiring loom. In this case you need to refer to this page  m http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/Toyota-Wiring.pdf m  , scroll down to 1987 and newer, and cut into the black wire that is at point H. connect up your switch and you can lower/raise the antenna at will.

Bear in mind when hunting for this wire that the later cars have 4 plugs going into the back of the Head unit, the extra ones being for a cd changer and the Toyota sat nav. You need to pick out the correct plug by counting the number of terminals in it. They're all different sizes.

You can of course fit your own switch to do this job if you dont want to use your window switch.

I'll compile some photos and diagrams and write it up into a sticky.
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

VVT-i

1st of all, thanks for taking the trouble to respond:D

Now.. i think i've got this right..... correct me if i'm wrong.

on this page,
 m http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/Toyota-Wiring.pdf m  
 if i get wires H & I and join those together, then join these 2 wires to the electric antenna wire on my headunit, my ariel should go up and down again.. either when the radio is turned on or if the ignision is turned on, i'm not fussy which way  as long as it goes up and down again lol.

Quote from: \"Wabbitkilla\"Mine is a bit stiff when cold, but once it\'s warmed up it slips in nicely.

GSB

Quote from: "VVT-i"1st of all, thanks for taking the trouble to respond:D

Now.. i think i've got this right..... correct me if i'm wrong.

on this page,
 m http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/Toyota-Wiring.pdf m  
 if i get wires H & I and join those together, then join these 2 wires to the electric antenna wire on my headunit, my ariel should go up and down again.. either when the radio is turned on or if the ignision is turned on, i'm not fussy which way  as long as it goes up and down again lol.

Forget about there being 2 wires. Its only One...

If you want the antenna to work as Toyota intended, the the electric ariel wire coming out of the head unit needs to be connected to point H. Thats it. Do nothing else...

If you want to add a switch, then the wire coming out of the back of the  head unit needs to go into a switch, and then the other terminal of the switch needs to connect to point H. Then you can lower the antenna even when the radio wants to keep it up. Ignore point I, as it has nothing to do with what you are trying to achieve...

VVT-i

Thanks very much  s:) :) s:)

When i get time i will give it a go.. had a look but its too dark to see properly.. will let you know how i get on

roger

Quote from: "GSB"
Quote from: "roger"Not very good at reading electrical diagrams, but it looks like the wires that go from Auto Antenna relay to the motor are Blue / Red for up, Blue / White for down.

Does this help?

Whoah there...! STOP!

2 + 2 = 5   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Tags: