Just bought MR2 - now with pictures attached.

Started by vatovey, August 4, 2009, 22:58

dipper84

righto, me again, i bought an oxygen sensor off ebay with the correct connector for the mr2. even though it was for upstream on the precat, i managed to remove the rear left hand lights and reroute the cat sensor wire so the shorter wired sensors could be used.

not sure if this helps as ive looked for reasonably priced sensors with longer leads with no success.
since its been in ive not had the p0141 error so im fairly confidend its solved the issue. the link for the sensors i used is below..

m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWNX:IT m
Chris >>>>>

Wabbitkilla

Good find Chris   s:D :D s:D
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

vatovey

Hi Aylward,

As has already been said; Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber Cleaner, its good stuff, I treated the softop weeks ago now and its still dark black, then again - the hardtop is on mostly, so wind/rain doesn't get at it.

Po141 - still got it, unfortunately, I cannot claim on my warranty for the first 90 days in fear of coming under their 'wear & tear' clause, only another month to go and it'll be sorted.

I have purchased a couple of universal sensors from the same guy you got yours from, I am going to be using these to replace the manifold sensors, but am unable to do so as it would mean cutting the exising sensor cables in order to re-use their connectors, which I cannot do yet due to the above pending warranty claim, if the garage notices that I've been faffing it could void the warranty... so better safe than sorry.

What village are you from, Trelewis, Edwardsville or Nelson ?, I've seen a few MR2's locally.

Off topic: I am getting wind noise on the drivers side when going over 45-50mph, I think its the rubber seal on the windscreen pillar, do I need to replace just one strip, or the entire windscreen rubber (as it looks like its all in one) ??

Cheers, Vaughn.

dipper84

Well, ive had a few days of it running without a P0141 untill i had one this morning! I am furious that its still causing me grief even with a new sensor. Could this be the sensor as i did only pay £43 for it?! Ill be looking down the scrappys for some if this continues....

Otherwise, i think i will be butchering it up this weekend and fitting in the resistor. P0135 should be eliminated by tonight as ive got another sensor on the way but we shall see...
these sensor issues are really getting me down! i sure hope i dont have to fork out an extra £100 for another sensor when ive already spent enough on the darn things!

Ill have to get some Autoglym when i run out of the stuff ive got, it looks pretty hot!

Im an Edwardsville boy Vaughn, i have seen a few 2's around the place on my travels.... a guy 2 doors up from me bought one and had it for about 3 months then got rid of it... not sure why though?
Chris >>>>>

vatovey

The eBay seller you purchased your from does offer a 6 month warranty - see below email he sent me.

--

Hi

we have sold these universal sensors to other customers to replace the part numbers listed in the listing  and not a single one was returned and the customers were 100% happy.  Also if you have any problems with the performance of the sensors you have 6 months to return them for a refund even if they`ve been used

Regards

dipper84

ahh fantastic stuff! i didnt notice that. we shall see what happens when this other one comes today and then decide what to do from there.

a question to all:

if im buying a sensor which says it is for the mr2, why doesnt it work on the car?? i just cant understand why, surely they test them on the cars before stating its for the 2?

s:evil: :evil: s:evil:
Chris >>>>>

davidhowson

Lovely looking car, very well turned out. And an excellent choice of colour! Welcome to the club.
What's first on the modding list....lower springs, extra bracing...choices, choices...
-David-

vatovey

why - cos' the place he's buying them from is most probably telling him that they work ok, only when he gets a shedload of returns will be realise that he's been stiffed also.

no plans for much modding - i like to keep cars as oem as possible, as it does affect resale value, that said, maybe a brace of two to stiffen things up... but to be honest, it seems to drive fine without braces..., but as I got nothing to compare it against, I don't really know what I should be getting.

Anonymous

Would check the warranty closely when I checked mine after paying for the gold level only to find that labour costs that are more than £38 per hour is not covered(toyotas are around £75) and any one claim should be under £1000 luckily I have used it within 3 weeks and the garage have stood the bill almost £2500 oh and by the way that started out as engine noise....one that sounded ok to a woman

nathanMR2

Quote from: "foxy bird"Would check the warranty closely when I checked mine after paying for the gold level only to find that labour costs that are more than £38 per hour is not covered(toyotas are around £75) and any one claim should be under £1000 luckily I have used it within 3 weeks and the garage have stood the bill almost £2500 oh and by the way that started out as engine noise....one that sounded ok to a woman

IMO the additional warrenties that the sales people try and sell you arent worth the paper they are written on. They will try and wriggle out of everything they possibly can and it can be hard to find a garage that will actually want to deal with them!

I had one on my old motor bike and i needed a new head gasket. They would only replace the top end and not the bottom. Waste of time in my opinion so i had to pay the rest myself
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

vatovey

Fortunately, the warranty package I have covers "franchise rates", my MR2 is actually at the garage now having the o2 sensor replaced.

The garage called a few minutes ago and told me the total price will be £277.xx p    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    which sounds criminal to me, thank goodness my warranty company have already confirmed they will foot the bill...

Hopefully, the MR2 will be fine, the replacement sensor is due in tomorrow, yippeeeee    s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  

Do you think warranty companies cover misted up headlights ?

nathanMR2

Quote from: "vatovey"Fortunately, the warranty package I have covers "franchise rates", my MR2 is actually at the garage now having the o2 sensor replaced.

The garage called a few minutes ago and told me the total price will be £277.xx p    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    which sounds criminal to me, thank goodness my warranty company have already confirmed they will foot the bill...

Hopefully, the MR2 will be fine, the replacement sensor is due in tomorrow, yippeeeee    s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  

Do you think warranty companies cover misted up headlights ?

I doubt it. To be fair i wouldnt have tought they would have covered the O2 sensor replacement though. Would have thought they would have tried to say it was a servicable item.

You can try and put some of those gel packets (sort of ones you get in shoes and electrical items that say DO NOT EAT) in with the back of the light housing (not near the bulb) Ive heard it sometimes works
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

vatovey

on the package i purchased, under 90 days from taking the warranty out - they can say 'wear & tear' etc... after 90 days gone, unless they can wriggle out of the claim some other way, they have to honour it.

Thanks for the tip about the silica gel things, i'll give that a go first.

Tags: