Trailer

Started by Anonymous, January 31, 2012, 21:57

Anonymous

Ive got this mad idea about making a trailer from one of my breakers. Cut off the front end at the leading edge of the rear wings, remove the motor, stick a towbar on the front, and the lightweight trailer towbar listed recently, and Bobs your wassit!

Any thoughts? All been done before?

AmeR

To tow with your van?
The 2 isn't rated to tow in the UK.

Anonymous

Does that make it illegal? Ive seen pushbikes towing 2 kids in a bucket!

K T M Rider

Quote from: "dick2ski"Any thoughts?

MR2 trike instead maybe?
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

mrzwei

I've seen photos of those in the mags from time to time, usually the classic car guys.
I doubt it would be illegal to tow with the roadster provided the regulations were met. Toyota don.t recommend it but it's all about the weight of the trailer in relation to the car, meeting the lighting and tow bar requirements and whether or not the trailer needs to be braked.
In this country, the trailer doesn't have to be mot tested or separately registered so keeps the same plate as the car.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Anonymous

I sometimes watch the various chopper building shows. If they can knock something up in a shed, so can I.

Anonymous

What would it be used for? Would you be able to make it secure storage?

AmeR

Quote from: "AmeR"To tow with your van?

I'm not sure on the legalities etc. some of the Mk2 guys have trailers and there are some threads on SpyderChat about making trailers and tow bars that attach via the towing hooks.

A chopped back end with the appropriate wiring etc would look quite quirky I reckon!!

mrzwei

Plan 'B' for the roaster?   s:D :D s:D
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Anonymous

Lights are already there. Ive seen Moggy thousands and even a Moggy van done. It looks good, but always awkward finishing off the front.

Deadmanwalking

Why would anyone know this.....................I mean why?  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
TOPS DOWN DRIVE THU THE NIGHT CLICK HERE] viewtopic.php?f=13&t=37365

AmeR

Quote from: "Deadmanwalking"

Why would anyone know this.....................I mean why?  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

It's in the handbook

aluk49

Bit like the mini one?  Good Idea, solve the storage problems when going away

dcod

Quote from: "aluk49"

That is cool. I think it would look better though with a modern Mini chopped as the trailer!
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

Steve Green

I have to say I would like the look. Those like the Mini one, towing a Mini in the picture that are done with care, particularly the front of the trailor to make it look as near as purpose built as poss. I have seen a smart car version recently.
I am not sure of legality. The MR 2 was not designed to tow a trailor so I dont think it is legal, and the rules on trailors/caravans etc are becoming more stringent, new, home built versions may run into legal issues.
2003 Facelift SMT

Did my old avatar offend you?

uktotty

I think it would look better If you had the front of the car as the trailer, a bit like a push me pull you!

uktotty

My fave!!

Steve Green

How about this one.

2003 Facelift SMT

Did my old avatar offend you?

aaronjb

a) I believe the 0Kg tow rating makes towing with the MR2 illegal.
b) All towbars post 2001 have to be Type Approved (how would you get that for an MR2 towbar when the towing weight is 0Kg? Not to mention the expense of manufacturing and submitting for test)
c) I believe as of next year all newly manufactured trailers will have to be Type Approved too..

Sorry to rain on the parade.

For towing with the van, get on it fast - before they make self manufactured trailers illegal too (point c).
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

vinp182

MK2 mr2 trailor BBQ   s:) :) s:)    m http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/171/101442.html m
2001 Nissan Silvia S15 SpecR
2000 MR-S...... Between engines
1993 Rev4 Turbo mk2 300whp
1994 Rev3 Turbo mk2
2004 Renaultsport Clio182

Anonymous

Trailer trial.

Couldnt tow the car as normal as the front suspension had melted, so got out the 9 inch chopper!

Treboeth

Bet that got some strange looks D1ck  s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:

Anonymous

You cant beat the 9 inch if you want the job doing properly!

smarty72

How much does it weigh at the moment and what will it be likely to carry?  I'm sure you know that if the trailer + load exceeds 750kg you are going to need brakes.

Looks great though. All you need to do now is find a use for the fronts and then you will be running at 100% recycle rate! Very environmentally friendly!  s:D :D s:D
current: Astral Black FL

Ex: Forest Green 2003.

frogger

Even if it does need to be braked, it would be very easy to use the existing rear calipers + cables to make a braked trailer.

Tags: