Unichip

Started by Jap GT300, January 31, 2005, 09:30

Liz

PM Heath for special tool info  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

Managed to do mine with a £3.50 set of B&Q multi bits.

GSB

Quote from: "dimwit"Does anyone know were you can get those star shaped "special tools" from?...Would Maplins sell them ..

s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Selective readers... Where have you been?

PM heathstimpson, and he'll sort you out with a set of tools that are not normally available to mere mortals like you and me. Forget Maplins, Halfords, etc... they dont sell them...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Liz

Quote from: "GSB"s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Selective readers... Where have you been?

PM heathstimpson, and he'll sort you out with a set of tools that are not normally available to mere mortals like you and me. Forget Maplins, Halfords, etc... they dont sell them...

Hey, I said that too at top of page, selective reader!!!!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Quote from: "Liz"PM Heath for special tool info  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

dimwit

Thanks,
Feeling abit "pickie", £20 sounds alot for this tool though  s:( :( s:(  , might give them B&Q bits ago, what Les used   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

heathstimpson

Quote from: "dimwit"Thanks,
Feeling abit "pickie", £20 sounds alot for this tool though  s:( :( s:(  , might give them B&Q bits ago, what Les used   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
£20 is for a set of seven Security Torx bits that cannot be bought from a shop. It's not bad as the actual Snap On set of 11 was £290  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Quote from: "Les"Managed to do mine with a £3.50 set of B&Q multi bits.

How did you manage that. I presume the screws are the Torx security plus type with the pin in the middle. Would be useful for us to know if it saves having to buy the specila bits.  s:) :) s:)

GSB

Theres another, older, and easily available version of torx security screws with the pin in the middle, that uses a normal 6 pointed torx bit with a corresponding hole through the centre. You can get them just about anywhere. Using them in your car means using a hammer to force a 6 pointed bit into a 5 pointed hole. It does work, but if you were concerned about the "proof of tampering" aspect of a damaged screw top, you would be well advised to go along the route of getting the correct tool. If you dont care/your cars out of warranty/ you see no reason why toyota should prevent you from playing with parts of YOUR car, then ripping the screws out with whatever tool is available is fine.
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "RUSTY"
Quote from: "Les"Managed to do mine with a £3.50 set of B&Q multi bits.

How did you manage that. I presume the screws are the Torx security plus type with the pin in the middle. Would be useful for us to know if it saves having to buy the specila bits.  s:) :) s:)

I think it was the "T10" bit , it had just enough grip to undo both screws.

SimonC_Here

Just thought I would try a fitting while I had the time, I'm glad I did.

Quote from: "markiii"easy

remove passenger side locker door, or whatever you feel necessary to get access, you may also need to remove the bin liner

there is a hinged carpet flap against the firewall, pull it forward.

next unplug the wires that go into your ECU

Fine up to this point. I now have 4 wires in my left hand two with black plugs, two with white.

Quote from: "markiii"plug them into the sockets on the PnP loom.

Ah but which ones? There are only 2 "in" sockets on the harness and 2 out connector (not including the one to the Unichip and the one to the switches). I think only two will fit but I don't want to balls it up. The instructions don't help, they show a harness with 4 in sockets and 4 white connectors.   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Quote from: "markiii"plug the green wires into the stock ECU, and the other wires into the Unichip.

re-assembler after testing that everything starts.

easy.

Help!

Simon

GSB

IIRC, All the plugs are different sizes, you cant get it wrong.

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "GSB"IIRC, All the plugs are different sizes, you cant get it wrong.

s:D :D s:D  Famous last words!

Edit:

Well it fitted, and the engine still runs with unmapped chip. It is the Black plugs that get bypassed it seems. The free end of the old wires wern't long enough though so I had to cut the tape that stuck them together before it would fit.

Thanks.

Simon

----

"Make somthing foolproof and they will invent a better type of fool"

Tem

GSB is right, you can't get them wrong (without excessive force  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  )
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

dimwit

If anybody is interested, that the "special tool" i used to undo the  two bolts was a maplins security bit set, in the set was a 6mm "spanner" bit (looks like a flat screwdriver with an arch cut out the center) it fits like a glove in the star security bolt, no damage to the bolt at all.....  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Tags: