Power FC Gurus

Started by Anonymous, February 23, 2006, 14:50

Anonymous

My car is at the shop installing sleeves, pistons, valves, springs and retainers, conecting rods, head gasket for the increase up to 1.93L
I also have the Power FC plus commander that I bought used from Diemond (mrs-passion.com), installed with his set up one week before the big engine mod.

I have important doubts. Since I don't know how to tune it and I'll have to go to Madrid (300miles aprox) for a proper tune, is it safe to drive with this set up till I decide to go to the shop?. I believe Diemond had a rich map, at least I know it was tuned for 98 gas.

Should I install the original ECU?, will that one work with my new set up?

I don't have turbo and Datalogic, is it a must to have the program or the commander is acceptable?

Tem

Quote from: "carbayon"My car is at the shop installing sleeves, pistons, valves, springs and retainers, conecting rods, head gasket for the increase up to 1.93L

I suppose you took advantage of the MWR sale then?  s:D :D s:D

Are you going to use the head gasget they supply?

QuoteSince I don't know how to tune it and I'll have to go to Madrid (300miles aprox) for a proper tune, is it safe to drive with this set up till I decide to go to the shop?. I believe Diemond had a rich map, at least I know it was tuned for 98 gas.

Should I install the original ECU?, will that one work with my new set up?

I think the stock ecu should work. You've basically just increased the airflow, like you would with intake/exhaust. I wouldn't drive 300 miles with untuned rich map. If it's too rich you'll just get gasoline in your oil and then the oil won't do its job and you just killed your new engine.

QuoteI don't have turbo and Datalogic, is it a must to have the program or the commander is acceptable?

Wait...no turbo...so did you get the 11:0 compression then? Might wanna take it slow with the stock ecu and use high octane fuel. There's chance you might get knock with those.  s:? :? s:?

Commander is VERY slow to tune and also limited. You can't access everything with it. And you probably save the cost in tuning time anyway. I'd get it. (I did get it.)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

You could use the stock ECU... would get better gas mileage getting there.  I don't see any reason why you could not use either one with those mods.

For the Power FC, I recommend getting a Datalogit, even if you only use it for street tuning and then sell it.  Try my program, Copilot, for automatic tuning.  You'll need a wideband O2 sensor, Datalogit, and a laptop.  The program is free (accepting donations, though).  If you already have a Commander, fine, otherwise I'd definitely buy the Datalogit instead.  With the Commander you can adjust most things and it is useful to monitor parameters in real time.  It is a cheaper way to go because you don't need a laptop, but don't count on being able to tune with it.  It's possible, but very time-consuming, and like I said, there are some things you can't do with it.  It is a useful gadget, but not a tuner's tool.

Ooops, Tem types faster.  Good point about running too rich for a long time.

dieamond

If the tuner is equiped with the datalogit and/or apexi official software, no need for a dataloggit on your own

what you should do after installation is see how the car rundon't go past 4000RPM, 3500 is even better

have somebody look at the sensor menu on the commander, O2S1 and O2S2 lines

If you are between 0.9 and 1, don't touch anything.

below 0.9V, remove some fuel in the setting > IG/IJ/VVT on the commander : put 0.850
don't forget what you put, as it will be lost each time you turn off engine

over 1v, add some fuel, put 1.150

you should be able to do your 300km this way

check with the tuner what he has to tune the PFC (Wideband, Knock sensor with headset, datalogit, and so on)
TRD - Cusco - C-One - Tom\'s - Amuse - Top secret - Veilside - Spoon - Blitz - Invidia
JUN - Racing Gear - APR Performance - HKS - Apexi - Project Mu - Trial

Anonymous

I'm still confuse but one thing you cleared me up is to get the Datalogic, MWR I guess will be my shop to buy from but......what about the wideband O2 sensor, where can I buy it?, where do you hook that one? (sorry for being so iliterate)

Diemond PFC was tuned with similar mods I had before the engine rebuild so I assume if it worked before, now will not harm new set up as Beanie suggested.

Also as Diemond said I'll have to be very careful during first mileage (I was told around 5000 miles), be in the lows rev. I will check those values you said.

Above that, anybody wants to visit northern Spain for a tuning weekend or week?, I offer free room, free food at resturants, free drinks. for the labor time you need....2 cold in Finland right now Tem.

Tem

Quote from: "carbayon"I'm still confuse but one thing you cleared me up is to get the Datalogic, MWR I guess will be my shop to buy from but......what about the wideband O2 sensor, where can I buy it?, where do you hook that one?

Might wanna ask J.P. Motis in Greece about the Datalogit too:
 m http://www.fc-datalogit.co.nz/distribution.html m

There are several options for the wideband, but many use the LC/LM-1, which also works fine with Copilot. You can order it straight from the manufacturer here:
 m http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/ m

They are both basically the same, LM-1 just comes with a display.

QuoteDiemond PFC was tuned with similar mods I had before the engine rebuild so I assume if it worked before, now will not harm new set up as Beanie suggested.

If it was with similar mods, then it should be fine. Just keep an eye on the check-engine-light and back off if you see it light/flash.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

dieamond

yes but I didn't have a 1.93l 1ZZ  :-) :-) :-)
TRD - Cusco - C-One - Tom\'s - Amuse - Top secret - Veilside - Spoon - Blitz - Invidia

dieamond

Quote from: "carbayon"I'm still confuse but one thing you cleared me up is to get the Datalogic, MWR I guess will be my shop to buy from but......what about the wideband O2 sensor, where can I buy it?, where do you hook that one? (sorry for being so iliterate)

Diemond PFC was tuned with similar mods I had before the engine rebuild so I assume if it worked before, now will not harm new set up as Beanie suggested.

Also as Diemond said I'll have to be very careful during first mileage (I was told around 5000 miles), be in the lows rev. I will check those values you said.

Above that, anybody wants to visit northern Spain for a tuning weekend or week?, I offer free room, free food at resturants, free drinks. for the labor time you need....2 cold in Finland right now Tem.

s:-D :-D s:-D

Anonymous

If you are mostly using highway and with O2 feedback activated the PowerFC will regulate your AFR near 14.7 when cruising so this will not be a problem. Problem can be encountered in hard acceleration where you could be out of cells tuned by Dieamond on his PowerFC Inj and Ign maps.
But you will not drive hard while in grinding, will not you?  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Thanks for your help
I talked to people at my shop and I'll go back to stock ECU, use 98 gas and after 5000 miles I'll install PFC and tune properly providing the tuner with Datalogic and wideband O2 sensor.

Anonymous

That sounds like a good plan.  I hope you keep the datalogit and wideband.  You'll then be able to use Copilot to road tune or just keep an eye on things and replay your driving.  It supports adding a USB accelerometer from a company called Phidgets (about 60 USD) so it will log/record and replay lateral Gs -or- longitudinal Gs along with everything else.  I'll add support for another accelerometer later, by the way.  Also, in case you don't want to have an AFR gauge installed, Copilot has a virtual AFR gauge (which replays, of course).

Tags: