3rd Party Car Warranties - Any good?

Started by Anonymous, March 27, 2006, 19:00

Anonymous

Hi,

Just got my MR2, it's an X reg with 17K on the clock. Thinking about getting a 3rd party warranty but there seems to be a million places online that provide them. Does anyone on here use one and have any recommendations?

Would they cover any problems caused by pre-cat failure etc...?

Cheers

Rich

PET3R

Quote from: "dodgie"Hi,

Just got my MR2, it's an X reg with 17K on the clock.
Rich

You scared to drive it or sumot!

Anonymous

i am also interest in this...

i do feel scared to drive my car, dont want it going bang!

Liz

I had one from warranty direct their top one - never had to claim on it though, because they are wimps and run away at the sound of the word Porsche I am now with Warranty Works, touch wood I never have to claim on that either - I have the platinum cover which was £379 for the Porker.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

hehehehhe, no I'm not scared to drive! Sorry I didn't say that properly, I've just bought an MR2, the previous two owners, it seems going off the mileage, were scared to drive it! =)

Thanks for the advice, has anyone ever claimed on one?

Rich

Anonymous

I am with warranty direct, 2 years for about £380. I have just had to claim over £1,000 for a power steering pump. I was over the mileage on the service schedule but they still paid up. It was a difficult experience, they really don't like paying out but it was all settled in the end.I would use them again if I needed to.

edward.carter

im with warranty direct too got a good price in the end (a very very good price) have used them once for a faulty maf (£100) pretty painless experience. i also asked them directly about the precat problem, they said the warranty doesnt cover catalytic material but if that destroyed the engine, the engine would be repaired, you would just need to replace the cat yourself, but as i now have no precats, hopefully shouldnt get that problem !   s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

I bought an extended warranty through Toyota which is more exepensive at £460 for 12 months (comes with RAC homestart as well though) having bought my W reg 2 in October. Took out the warranty in January and within a month the bearings on my gearbox went (44000 miles). After the assessor made his report the warranty company refused the repair as they were highly suspicious that the bearings had gone so soon after my purchasing the policy.
  s:( :( s:(  
However this was then referred back to Toyota GB who overrode the subsidiary warranty company and told them to carry out the repair. Hence I now have what feels like a brand new gearbox and I have only made 2 months payments on the warranty so far  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I believe that the full cost of the repair was around the £1600 mark, and I think I was very fortunate. You pay your money and you take your chances  s:D :D s:D

edward.carter

O/T but you (shankspony) might want to reduce the size of your avatar to within the standard size, 200x80 pixels.  just thought i would say it before someone else does   s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies everyone, is it possible to buy a Toyota extended warranty even if the car is currently out of warranty or are these only available to cars which have just come out of the from-new Mr T one?

Rich

Anonymous

yea would i be able to get a toyota warranty? definatly prefer that.. and can it be payed monthly?

my car is a jap import btw.

Tags: