Pioneer under-dash subwoofer?

Started by Ernie Ball, April 17, 2006, 23:09

Ernie Ball

Anyone have any experience or reports on the Pioneer TS-WX22A powered compact subwoofer?  Judging by its dimensions, it looks like it would fit under the dash above the accelerator pedal.  Since bespoke under-dash boxes for RHD cars are hard to come by, this might be another option.

Anonymous

Like the look of that.

Anyone know how much?

Ernie Ball

Somewhere around £120.

Anonymous

looks a nice bit of kit.

I know that all the manufacturers do these type of subs but if it's any use to anyone, the only one that would fit under the passenger seat of an S2000 about 18 months ago and still allow the seat to move freely was the panasonic one.

I am sure the game has moved on a lot since then but I would be interested in doing this so if anyone knows if the Pioneer or any others fit under the passenger seat of the 2 so as not to swallow any space, both I and others I am sure would love to know.

ninjinski

The pioneer may fit under dash - I went for the Alpine 1600 mini powered subwoofer initially in the rear bin, but to be honest it wasnt up to much

I then added the Alpine 2000

http://www.alpine-europe.com/content/english/a693.det.SWD-2000_8--20cm-POWERED-SUBWOOFER-BOX-4-937%3B.htm

If you are looking for an easy solution to fitting a subwoofer try the rear bins - just remove one side wall of the bin (2 pop out rivets) and this baby fits perfectly mouted with velcro.

Sable

PERF: TTE TURBO & exhaust, BC Coilovers Markii inlet TRD brace SP Downpipe Exedy Cerametalic Clutch TRD Short Shifter w brass bushings EBC discs/pads OMP steering wheel, front diffuser
ICE: JVC headunit JBL P652s Alpine SWD1600 & 2000 woofers Kenwood 600W amp
EXTERNAL: Mr T spoiler. black brake calipers Dynamat Toyota dust caps Dev\'s keyhole covers Simon\'s hairpins
INTERNAL: Red leather Carbon sill guards TRD stickers Mongo deflectors Chrome gear & dial surrounds Gregg\'s custom logo plate Taurec gauges

Leeber

I went down to a local ICE dealer who was kind enough to wire the 2000 up to my existing kit so I could get a feel as to how it would sound, but the unit is massive compared to the 1600, the way he was talking about fitting it would have meant effectivley losing the use of one of the bins outright. I know the feet and amp section are removable, but even the sub box on it's own looked like it would only go in there diagonally. Then I still gotta find room for the amp.
I was thinking of putting in two SWD-1600 's instead, one in each side. This solution would seem to take up less room and still allow the storage bins to be useable for storage. I have to say though, I haven't actually heard the SWD-1600 in action. I was going to go and buy one today but they were out of stock.
I\'m Pink, Therefore I\'m Spam.

Anonymous

Im having the new Blaupunkt THB 200 fitted on saturday, i'll let you know how I get on;
http://www.blaupunkt.co.uk/7606305001_main.asp

Leeber

That looks interesting, you planning to put it in the bin?

Anonymous

The Blaupunkt sub is in, for a pretty modest amount of power, the thing really makes a difference, obviously not earth bumping or anything, but Im extremely happy with the rich full sound that I now get, compared with what was produced through just the 2 components. Superb!  s8) 8) s8)

Leeber

Where did you put it in the end? How does it fit? Any chance of a pic or two?

Anonymous

It went in the bin, on top of my slimline blaupunkt amp, both together come level to the bottom of the door, will try and get some photo's up tomorrow.

Anonymous

I'm looking to upgrade the whole sound system and have had allot of interesting views and suggestions from the forum here (thanx & spot on!)but the biggest problem I'm faced with is the sub...I don't really want to go into the bins but it looks like I have no choice.  Would love to see the pics of the Pioneer TS-WX22A and the Blaupunkt install if they're available?  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Ernie Ball

Don't think anyone has the Pioneer here.

I'm pretty sure it will fit under the dash on the driver's side above the accelerator, though.

Anonymous

fyzal
Sorry for the bad quality, phone camera in the dark aint up to much!
But the pic shows my blaupunkt sub, i know it looks quite big/deep but there is also a sneaky little slimline 2ch amp underneath the sub powering my jbl comps in the doors.
i'll do me best to get some better pics for you in the near future.

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=6/15416264471.jpg&s=f5

Anonymous

That looks pretty neat, tidy and without much space loss either considering you have a sneaky little amp in there too.   s:o :o s:o    Thanks for that...I have found a local supplier who can get me one for £130...What's the sound quality like from the Blaupunkt (I've heard many conflicting comments regarding these small bass units)?

Anonymous

It depends what your after; I'm extremely happy with it, I bought it on spec of deepening the bass and obtaining a richer sound compared with the pathetic tinny stock sound, and wanted more volume for when the top was down, all of these boxes are ticked with the blaupunkt sub and amp.
Although if you're after a groundshaking beast to outperform your fellow chav's at the Nova cruises; you will be disappointed. However; to me the sound from the comps would be completely drowned out if there were much more bass.

Anonymous

Bang on! Just what I wanted to hear...Deep, rich and a warm bass sound to support the comps...Nothing to heavey...I can't think of anything worse than trying to drown out the Corsa Chavs, anyway I don't think there's much bass from Frank Sinatra's 'Fly me to the moon'   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Thanks again for that B3FUL, I'll place my order now   s8) 8) s8)

Leeber

You can get one of these from:

w www.bluespot.co.uk w

for about £100 if you're planning to fit it yourself.

Anonymous

Cheers!   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

fyzal
If you haven't already ordered the blaupunkt, just hang on, mine has just busted!! its vibrating from within real bad, i'm taking it back! i'll let you know whats up.

Leeber

What was the verdict B3ful? I'm about to order one as well, if I ever get my car back from Mr T.

Anonymous

Well Ive had to take it out because of the horrible noise its making, I was told I had turned the volume up to loud and its damaged its innards, I didnt think that'd be poss. myself as I would have thought that its own amp would have been limited to the subs own range of power...or something like that? (If it sounds like I dont know what im on about, its because i don't really, just trying to apply common sense)

Any how, it is bust, and hopefully refunded, so im getting the Alpine SWD-2000 stated above, should have it by Monday. This has much more power capability from what I can tell, therefore shouldn't be too hard pushed to breaking point at my preference of music volume/power...hopefully.

Leeber

Did it arrive? How does it fit/sound to you?

Anonymous

Ive got it, but I need to re wire the power cable as its different from the blaupunkt one, its a tight fit, bigger than I thought, I had to take out one of the plastic covers at either side of the rear bin for it to fit.
will let you know when its powered up.
In fact I may put up some pics, because I have no idea how the power cables are going to link, i'm pretty ignorant to anything much that is electrical!

Leeber

Any news yet? By the way is your 2 channel amp the THA280? If so are you happy with it?

Tags: