Buy some petrol today.

Started by Ernie Ball, April 18, 2006, 20:03

Ernie Ball

You'll save a few quid.  It's going up significantly by the end of the week.

red_leicester

How do you know that Ernie ?
[size=84]Jez[/size]
[size=75]2001 Red MR2[/size]

Ernie Ball

A petrol distributor was on the radio tonight saying it would go up significantly by Friday unless the price of oil (which went over $72/barrel today) comes down by tonight.

He was talking about Ireland, so maybe in the UK it's different.  But I wouldn't imagine so....

aaronjb

Similar thing on the radio here, too, I missed most but caught the "significantly over £1/litre" part.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

ninjinski

Quote from: "aaronjb"Similar thing on the radio here, too, I missed most but caught the "significantly over £1/litre" part.

Yikes thats shocking   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:
Sable

PERF: TTE TURBO & exhaust, BC Coilovers Markii inlet TRD brace SP Downpipe Exedy Cerametalic Clutch TRD Short Shifter w brass bushings EBC discs/pads OMP steering wheel, front diffuser
ICE: JVC headunit JBL P652s Alpine SWD1600 & 2000 woofers Kenwood 600W amp
EXTERNAL: Mr T spoiler. black brake calipers Dynamat Toyota dust caps Dev\'s keyhole covers Simon\'s hairpins
INTERNAL: Red leather Carbon sill guards TRD stickers Mongo deflectors Chrome gear & dial surrounds Gregg\'s custom logo plate Taurec gauges

evileye_wrx

Glad I filled up my tank today ready for tomorrows trip to Chesterfield. Course it will be empty by the time I come back which will be...... YIKES! the end of the week!

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

Anonymous

Meh, it's always going to be expensive now, so just suck it up and pay  s:( :( s:(

Chris_h

Sustained prices of c. £1 per litre expected over the summer   s:( :( s:(   - Blame Iran and their nuclear ambitions.

Good for those of us with oil shares though   s:D :D s:D
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

Anonymous

Quote from: "Chris_h"Sustained prices of c. £1 per litre expected over the summer   s:( :( s:(   - Blame Iran and their nuclear ambitions.

Good for those of us with oil shares though   s:D :D s:D

I blame the Tony Blair retirment fund.

My driving tax equates to an extra 3% income tax!!

Chris_h

Luckily I have the battle bus for long uneventful journeys. Its a TDI and will always return 55+mpg and decent performance - deadly dull though   s:( :( s:(  

Since I got the 2, the Audi has only done a couple of trips.
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

philster_d

My car is now powered by air anyway

Anonymous

Quote from: "Chris_h"... deadly dull though ... the Audi has only done a couple of trips.
You must have the wrong Audi!  Mind you, mine doesn't do much more than half the miles/gallon that the MR" can manage!  s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

I blame the Chinese for doing so well and can now afford cars.  Sometimes I blame the guy next door for driving a 4.6 litre soft-roader.

In actual fact, it doesn't matter who you blame - oil is a product that is running out and, as with everything else rare, there is nothing anybody can do to stop the prices from increasing.  And the more we consume the more expensive it will get.  It's nothing to do with political parties or nuclear ambitions.

Chris_h

Quote from: "Emmanuel"I blame the Chinese for doing so well and can now afford cars.  Sometimes I blame the guy next door for driving a 4.6 litre soft-roader.

In actual fact, it doesn't matter who you blame - oil is a product that is running out and, as with everything else rare, there is nothing anybody can do to stop the prices from increasing.  And the more we consume the more expensive it will get.  It's nothing to do with political parties or nuclear ambitions.

Emmanuel - the latest spike is everything to do with nuclear ambitions - precisely fears over unrest around Iran. Any political instability over major oil controlling regions will see the oil commodity price spike. Of course massively increased global demand and a finite resource means the trend in price will always be up until 'something gives'   s:? :? s:?   -   economist mode off...

Chris_h

Quote from: "peterb"
Quote from: "Chris_h"... deadly dull though ... the Audi has only done a couple of trips.
You must have the wrong Audi!  Mind you, mine doesn't do much more than half the miles/gallon that the MR" can manage!  s:( :( s:(

Peter - it is the wrong Audi compared with your firebreathing monster! However, I like to measure my economy in MPG - as opposed to GPM   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:     s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Its an A4 Avant TDI of the 115bhp flavour. Goes around corners quickly enough, grips tenaciously, but it feels like it is remote controlled...  However, 60mpg over the last tank is something I can live with   s:D :D s:D  

Have you looked at the new RS4 yet? there was a lovely red demo at our Audi dealer   s:D :D s:D

red_leicester

Quote from: "Chris_h"s:( :( s:(   - Blame Iran and their nuclear ambitions.

Or the USA and their world domination ambitions!
[size=84]Jez[/size]
[size=75]2001 Red MR2[/size]

northernalex

I make solar cells, and we're researching an electric car! Anyone want one? almost as good as the 2 (  s:?: :?: s:?:   )  Great fun when you go to the dealer and they wonder why someone has taken out the engine and replaced it with a washing machine.

Petrol strikes going to happen again?
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

Anonymous

s:cry: :cry: s:cry:   I only filled up the Scoob yesterday, but it'll probably need filling up again by the end of the week. <200 miles from a tank is no fun, I can tell you!

I work for an oil/gas company and we just got our annual bonus, which was the maximum 15%, so I guess that kind of negates the extra cost of Optimax. At least that's what I'll have to keep telling myself...

aaronjb

Quote from: "lordretsudo"I work for an oil/gas company and we just got our annual bonus, which was the maximum 15%

*points* It's his fault!  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

heathstimpson

Quote from: "aaronjb"
Quote from: "lordretsudo"I work for an oil/gas company and we just got our annual bonus, which was the maximum 15%

Yes I have to agree with you Aaron on that one  s:? :? s:?
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Quote from: "heathstimpson"
Quote from: "aaronjb"

Yes I have to agree with you Aaron on that one  s:? :? s:?

Don't blame me! It's just a job, and I'm just a lowly chemist!  The top men (in the US of course) have earnt literally 10's of millions in bonuses for the last few years. To be fair (as is often pointed out in the media), the price of oil has nothing (or at least, very little) to do with the oil companies themselves. It's set by the stock markets, and influenced most by political decisions such as the invasions of Kuwait, Iraq, etc and the unfortunate fact that the majority of the more easily extracted oil reserves reside in increasingly unstable Middle Eastern countries.

Anonymous

Over £1 a litre?
Pffff!
Filled up with optimax at the weekend to test the new unichip - cost me 101p/l here in Cardiff.
I averaged 24mpg on my run. Ouch!

Was worth it though -!

Anonymous

I filled the bike up on the back on the way back from work tonight.

It cost a whole £12   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

/me slaps fastboy

Lucky sod!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Chris_h"Peter - it is the wrong Audi compared with your firebreathing monster! However, I like to measure my economy in MPG - as opposed to GPM   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:     s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Actually, it doesn't do too badly - my average seems to be around the 23mpg mark, which is only ~1mpg worse than the A6 2.7T I had before.

QuoteIts an A4 Avant TDI of the 115bhp flavour. Goes around corners quickly enough, grips tenaciously, but it feels like it is remote controlled...  However, 60mpg over the last tank is something I can live with
60 is pretty good - we don't even get that from my wife's A2 TDi!

QuoteHave you looked at the new RS4 yet? there was a lovely red demo at our Audi dealer   s:D :D s:D
I haven't looked closely, no.  I have thought about a new S6 (lovely V10!), but I'll probably wait to see what the new RS6 is like.

Tags: