Help please - im Fitting an Alpine 9850ri this week

Started by enid_b, May 29, 2006, 15:38

enid_b

hi, just ordered an alpine 9850 and should be arriving this week.  i have done a search and have not found anything specific re the removal of the sony 2xDIN head unit.

does anyone have a link that would tell me how to do it please?  Do i need to get down to halfrauds and by any adapters or will it be a case of one in, one out?

during my search, found an article on ariels staying up with alpines when cd is playing? is this still the case or have they sorted that?

any help would be HUGELY aprreciated. i wanna get hooked up before the NW meet, and if this stage goes well, im gonna treat myself to some gucci speakers too.  i believe focals are the ones to go for, if im a little short of folding stuff, anyone heard good things about jbl! speakers? there are some on ebay for sensible prices.

ta

e  (screwdrivers and sticky tape at the ready)

if there isnt a guide? would there be any interest in my photographing the project and posting up here? i would need some tips on removal first though !  ta
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

enid_b

should all go to plan i will have an old Sony Head unit (pre fisher price) from my 2001 and a connects2 adaptor kit for sale.

would be prepared to sell seperately if there was a demand for it.  the connects 2 still has plenty of warranty on it and i will send the original receipt.

ta
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

Anonymous

m http://www.mr2roc.org/subdreamer/index. ... ticleid=41 m  gives you an idea of how to fit it.

also, you will require an ISO adapter to make the toyota plug fit your new stereo. This is manufactured by autoleads and is available via hellfrauds for around £10.

The fascia adapter you require is available Here

Richie

enid_b

thanks, just ordered the ISO adaptor and have sent matt a pm re the fascia adaptors.

fingers crossed, just have to wait for the postie now....

thanks for locating that post for me, sometimes the search thing i a powerful tool, other times it just makes me feel like a tool,

how did we manage before ebay?

red_leicester

If you have a pre-03 car you are better off keeping the standard 'surround' and just buying a single DIN 'box' to fit underneath yout Alpine.

Do a search for singl DIN , fascia, etc and you should find lots of info on here.    s8) 8) s8)
[size=84]Jez[/size]
[size=75]2001 Red MR2[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "red_leicester"If you have a pre-03 car you are better off keeping the standard 'surround' and just buying a single DIN 'box' to fit underneath yout Alpine.

Do a search for singl DIN , fascia, etc and you should find lots of info on here.    s8) 8) s8)

This is what I presently have done, but the problem I have had is that the surround of my stereo doesn't fit on inside the standard surround. Did you find a way around this or have you just gone without?

red_leicester

Richie - The plastic surround from the new H/U?  Yes, I've gone without.

Take a look at the pics in on the first page of this thread

m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... din+fascia m

That is exactly what I have done (my H/U is a Sony) and it fits just fine.  (Although I did have to drill some new mounting holes inthe two metal sideplates that the H/U bolts on to).

There is also a really good single DIN fitting guide on SC if you have a quick search.
[size=84]Jez[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "red_leicester"Richie - The plastic surround from the new H/U?  Yes, I've gone without.

Yep, thats what I meant.

I've gone without too, but feel that things would look better if the plastic surround was fitted (on my particular stereo), hence why I am also considering going with this autoleads fascia plate.

Cheers,

Richie.

red_leicester

My Sony installed

m http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=5/15005584455.jpg&s=f5 m

m http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=5/15005572178.jpg&s=f5 m

The 3.5mm plug in the pocket underneath is for an aux in e.g. mp3 player.
[size=84]Jez[/size]

Hope4Sun

Quote from: "enid_b"during my search, found an article on ariels staying up with alpines when cd is playing? is this still the case or have they sorted that?

The ariel does stay up generally, though your head unit may have a power down, it should be the blue wire on the adapter kit you get, i've got another switch that i was going to plumb into the wire to allow me to switch it off  s;) ;) s;)

Link to more install pics and instructions:

m http://www.euroroadster.com/articles/Sh ... acment.xml m

Andy
R35 GTR<br />X Sable 05 Roadster To many mods to list

Anonymous

Have you managed to fit this HU yet?

I have been looking at getting the same HU, ....... s:) :) s:)

enid_b

sorry for slow reply, no internet at home.

its fitted, and with some new jbl speakers it is the business.

the ipod is fully controllable (the whole reason for buying it) and it sounds like a dream.

all i need to do now is get hold of an aerial adaptor, and then think of some way to stop it from going up all the time.

dont like havin that aerial up unless i need it on, something i loved about the old stock unit.

maybe i will wire it up to the passenger window switch unless someone knows of a head unit solution

ta

Anonymous

I fitted the same HU this week

it's great......but i should really do something with the doors as little bits on the trim or standard speakers rattle   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Having the aerial up with the stereo on doesn't matter to me as the fisherprice put it up with CD's anyway, so no change  s:) :) s:)

Draggon

Aye the 9850 ri is fantastic for ipods etc...v good sound.

Gonna fit mine tonight...hope it goes ok....worried about the facia but looking at the posts on here it sounds a doddle.
Black 04 MR2 Roadster, Black Leather. David Style Chrome Bars (1 piece). Dev\'s keyhole covers, Dev\'s BL Visor, Small Mongo\'s with eagle stickers, J-spec nose badge, spyder rear badge, ST Crystal side indicators. TTE Springs :)

Draggon

Well managed to take off the facia surround for air console etc and side strips.....even maanged to slide the Toyota Stereo forward to have a look around the back...

And... I find 4 different coonecting white plugs going into the back of the stereo  s:( :( s:(

My adapter has 1 white and none of them fit...guessing I have the wrong adapter.

PS: The facia adapter looks like it will fit perfectly
Black 04 MR2 Roadster, Black Leather. David Style Chrome Bars (1 piece). Dev\'s keyhole covers, Dev\'s BL Visor, Small Mongo\'s with eagle stickers, J-spec nose badge, spyder rear badge, ST Crystal side indicators. TTE Springs :)

proeliator2001

Seems like the 9850Ri is a popular buy on this forum!  I bought one today and even with standard speakers it sounds excellent.  I recently bought an alpine powered sub (the little silver one whose model number escapes me) and had wired it in to the standard speakers for high level input with the Fisher Price unit.  Trust me, it doesn't work very well like that and often got caught out making noises that were at odds with what the music should have sounded like.  Now it's connected to the pre-amp and properly controlled by the HU it's working perfectly.  Nice mirror shaking bass   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

Also nicely surprised how quick the HU is to change tracks and search playlists on the Ipod.  Still takes a while to navigate by song title though 1000 tracks but it's not too bad and with my bad eyesight, it is easier to read the display than the little one my ipod mini.
Official - old git alert. 42 years old!
Facts  are meaningless - they can be used to prove anything.

2004 MR2 in silver with hardtop, leather, aircon and only 1 door handle.(11 happy years together and counting!)

Draggon

Cool....any idea what the sub is?....and where did you fit it?

proeliator2001

It was this one - http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_product.php?partno=SWD1600

Which I think it fine for the job although Ninjinski didn't think it was very good.  I'd like more of a thump for for that you lose precious carrying space.  It is mounted in the passanger side recess in the locker.  Allows the fitted luggage to still fit without problems and that was important for me.  Sits in pefectly using two of the supplied three brackets and with the standard speakers gives enough low response that I don't feel cheated.  Is also very cheap which was nice   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

2004 MR2 in silver with hardtop, leather, aircon and only 1 door handle.(11 happy years together and counting!)

Leeber

I was going to buy that unit as well but was put off by Ninjinski's opinion, in the end I went for this:

m http://www.justkenwood.co.uk/speakers01/kscsw1.asp m

I'm not sure how it compares to the Alpine but the guys over on Spyderchat seem to like it a lot. I'm very happy with it, it's fed by the sub-out on my Kenwood HU and the gain is set at about 15-20% of max, any higher and it starts to distort with certain types of music. It has a remote lead though so it can easily be adjusted. I put it in the bin behind the driver's seat where the toolkit should be (that's in with the spare). It lies down flat and is held in place by the straps so the space is still usable. The remote just dangles out into the cup holder at the rear of the centre console. It ain't going to blow your doors off, but my setup sounds so much better with it than without.
I\'m Pink, Therefore I\'m Spam.

Anonymous

any chance of a quick pic of the installation of either of these subs?

I think i'll probably be keeping the 2 untill next summer, so a bit of extra low end grunt would be nice.

proeliator2001

Takes up very little space really - though there isn't much to start with I suppose   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Leeber

Here you go:

Seems made to measure for the space where the toolkit was.
I\'m Pink, Therefore I\'m Spam.

Anonymous

Thanks guys

I take it they add a decent thump to the soundtrack?

Tags: