Turbo!!!

Started by Anonymous, July 24, 2006, 13:22

Anonymous

Hi,
at the moment, i have an (almost) standard roadster, and i am looking to have a turbo fitted,  i live in jersey so it will mean travelling up to england and staying there while the car gets done.
Can anyone give me some names of garages who maybe you have used before? as i am travelling up it doesnt really matter which part of the country it is.
i have already spoken to SP silverstone, but would like to know what other options there are.
any info welcome, cheers, Gill

markiii

lets backtrack a little and ask which turbo you looking at?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

thats, the thing, i am not sure about my options?

philster_d

Gill I drove out to Hungary from England that might be another option for your list of choices.

the Garage was C2 Power.

There is a kit available from USA - the Hass garage (some people didnt have goodexperiences with them)

You mentioned SP

there is also a PE turbo kit a bit smaller but im not sure of the exact details.

Mostly you would need the kit upfront then find the garage, sp can fit and supply the TTE and C2 power, for example, can also supply a kit by post as an option.

Do a search and read into a few kits, there is some massive threads here we have literally doezens of turbo amoungst us now.

goodluck,

Phil

markiii

to try and keep this simple

if we are talking about a kit, in teh sense that everything is purchased at once.

then teh PE isn't really a kit, it has no ecu control and no intercooler

really that leaves 4 options

Hass
C2
TTE
Thor

Personally I would say the Hass is a non starter. I say this based on experience and the fact that the C2 is better buil (especially teh exhaust) easier to get, ans equal to in performance terms.

sothat leaves

TTE
C2
Thor

in teh UK currently on SP can fit teh TTE and it's teh only one that doesn't invalidate your warranty.

The Thor kit can be fitted by Thor (obviously) but I'm personally not convinced by their chargecooler setup.

the C2 can be fitted by any competent garage or even DIY if required. Places like Thor, Rogue Systems, e.t.c would probably be equally happy to install it for you.

to be honest installation shoudl be teh second question, first you need to decide what you want from teh kit and which kit that means your getting.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

kanujunkie

Gill, where are you?, if your not far from me then feel free to meet up and look at mine
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

markiii

Quote from: "kanujunkie"Gill, where are you?, if your not far from me then feel free to meet up and look at mine

Stu says that to all teh boys   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

kanujunkie

Quote from: "markiii"
Quote from: "kanujunkie"Gill, where are you?, if your not far from me then feel free to meet up and look at mine

Stu says that to all the boys   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

***STICKS TONGUE OUT AND BLOWS RASPBERRY!***
[size=100]Stu[/size]

roger

Jersey isn't too far from Surrey   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

ok, thats a good start, the TTE one looks interesting, but seems to be geared up a lot to comply with emmision laws etc, which in Jersey we do not have, so hopefully i could get away with having it a bit faster.
but the other thing i found surprising is that the 0-60 time is 5.9 seconds, and i was expecting a turbo to make it more like under 5? am, i way off the mark here?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Gill"ok, thats a good start, the TTE one looks interesting, but seems to be geared up a lot to comply with emmision laws etc, which in Jersey we do not have, so hopefully i could get away with having it a bit faster.
but the other thing i found surprising is that the 0-60 time is 5.9 seconds, and i was expecting a turbo to make it more like under 5? am, i way off the mark here?

Your only 9 miles long by 5 miles wide ! How fast you want to go !!!  s8) 8) s8)    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

roger

Quote from: "Gill"ok, thats a good start, the TTE one looks interesting, but seems to be geared up a lot to comply with emmision laws etc, which in Jersey we do not have, so hopefully i could get away with having it a bit faster.

You can add SP's down pipe and exhaust which adds another 20 (ish) BHP to the Turbo, since the down pipe has no cat. Presumably you've looked at their website?

Others will say more, but torque rather than 0 - 60 seems to be the plus point of the TTE.
Roger

Anonymous

ha ha, fast enough to beat my boyfriend's type-r in the sprints!!!!

Anonymous

lol - I had a type R - and with a turbo fitted, you will definately beat him - there quick, but not that quick ( as quick as my Celica T-Sport  :-) :-) :-)  ).  I had fun playing with a couple around Gloucester in my MR2 - the cars quite a lot lighter than the Type-R ( presume you mean the Civic ? )

Anonymous

yes, i mean a civic. at the moment he is doing 14 second quarter miles, but it handles like a shed!!! he loves to drive my car, though he wont admit it!!!

kanujunkie

at the mo the TTET is not remappable(although SP are working on that) and is stuck at 7psi , whilst i've never measured exactly the 0-60 on mine, i beleive it slightly quicker than that and with the aid of a boost controller i can vastly increase the times that the turbo can produce, perhaps Ste can give us an idea on the times for a C2 kit running 12PSI, although i reckon its damn quick, he left mine running 4-5PSI looking as though i was standing still  s:( :( s:(  boost controller time me thinks  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "roger"...but torque rather than 0 - 60 seems to be the plus point of the TTE.

How true Roger  s8) 8) s8)   (up 60% from 125lb/ft to 201 lb/ft). There's generally not much on the road to leave you trailing.

Anonymous

right, all taken on board. i will look into the other kits you mentioned.
Ta

Anonymous

Quote from: "Gill"yes, i mean a civic. at the moment he is doing 14 second quarter miles, but it handles like a shed!!! he loves to drive my car, though he wont admit it!!!

Yeah i'll agree with that - the MR2 out handles the Type R  :-) :-) :-)

philster_d

but show me a turbo kit that doesnt increase torque I worry about that selling point. its a bit punchliney    s:? :? s:?

roger

Quote from: "philster_d"but show me a turbo kit that doesnt increase torque I worry about that selling point. its a bit punchliney    s:? :? s:?

Like 0 - 60 times.   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  TBH I reckon SP probably haven't got a properly validated 0 - 60, but what is that anyway - an indication of how well a driver can drop his clutch??

The trouble is everything is a mixture of something else, and at the end of the day you either get exactly what you want, to the detriment of something you are not too bothered about, or its a compromise.

Turbos, life, everything.
Roger

Tags: