Diamond-cut stock wheels - advice please

Started by spit, September 12, 2006, 09:46

spit

OK, so I fitted the D-cut rear 16s last week and they don't look much different to the stock painted fronts except when they catch direct sunlight.

However,I like the idea of having a diamond cut face on the wheel and I've found a firm who do the whole dip/strip/paint'n'cut at a keen price. So I figure if they need re-doing soon then why not. (I can get 'em done while I struggle with the suspension upgrade!).

So the question is, what should I go for as the base colour? Anthracite was mentioned at the weekend. Anything else you style gurus would consider nice?

(PS If anyone says "pink to match your calipers, they get no Christmas Card from me this year  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  )
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

Looks very nice, but what exactly is diamond cutting?

spit

Quote from: "simonp"Looks very nice, but what exactly is diamond cutting?

The wheels are painted or powder coated & lacquered and then the face is lathed off to give a kind of shiny CD-reflective effect on the rim lip, down the face of the spokes and in the wheel nut recess to the hub-cap.

If you look closely at the rear wheel in the pic you'll see the difference between paint and d-cut. Trouble is its not that distinctive. So on our wheels I'm thinking that it'd look great with a contrasting colour on the spoke edges and inset parts of the rim but I dunno what colour.

And yes, it'll mean getting more keen with polishing, but there are some appropriate wax treatments out there that can protect the cut surface.

I like 'em .... I think  s:? :? s:?

Two's Company

Ste, I can't really see the polished bit on the pictures.

If you decide you like them then I have a number of products to help keep them clean   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

spit

Yep its hard to tell what I'm getting at when they're on the car. Head-on and side-on views will give you a better idea though.....(apologies that they're not shiny clean in these pics)

.... what I'm after is a contrast between face (d-cut) and the inset parts (painted). The firm have suggested 3PO Red but I'm a bit worried about the colour match being off. So, unless anyone has any inspired thoughts it'll probably be anthracite or something a bit metallic and blingy.

Come on style gurus, where are you? Feel free to chip in and/or flame  s:flame: :flame: s:flame:

heathstimpson

I like the idea and think a more substantial contrast would work better   s8) 8) s8)
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

roger

I'm no style guru - ask my family and look at the avatar, but I feel what you have now is the best bet.

If you go darker on the insides it just gets lost in the shadows (unless you fancy a really bright red, or whatever, which I don't).
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

northernalex

id put some white in there and the diamond ?  s:) :) s:)

Red and white always goes

(unless you're sunderland or old enough to remeber the 1st world war)
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

heathstimpson

Do you think black with polished spokes would work on a silver 2  s:?: :?: s:?:

northernalex

id say yes to that - black with polished spokes.
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

heathstimpson

Quote from: "northernalex"id say yes to that - black with polished spokes.
When they start to go that might be an option; good on you Ste  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

spit

A very poor artist's impression of red insets (yes, I know the front wheel is back to front!!)

cheesy or OK?  s:? :? s:?

Gazz

Chav   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=80]Lotus Elise 111R, Larini Sports Exhaust [/size]

Anonymous

Please don't do that to your car, Ste.  s:( :( s:(

I'd stick with the plain ol' diamond cut option.

spit

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Yep that was my immediate reaction too. Its a bit cringe. I guess the firm is used to catering for a slightly different customer  s:wink: :wink: s:wink: .

So I guess its either a standard refinish or a slatey (should that be slacey?!)/anthracite inset which I haven't quite sussed out how to mimic on photoshop yet  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Anonymous

I really like them as they are...nice and subtle.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

celmacmat

I know it is going to sound weird, but I like both   s:? :? s:?  

I will say go with your gut feeling   s:!: :!: s:!:
Celine
Black Porsche 968 Club Sport

Two's Company

Ste, looking at these again the diamond cut looks fairly scratched.  

I'm not sure how easy it will be the keep the finish looking good once they have been redone?   s:? :? s:?

Wabbitkilla

It was my suggestion for the anthracite.  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Personally i don't like the diamond cut idea, especially the high maintenance required. I had a Kwak Zephyr with anthracite within the spokes and polished / diamond cut rims & spoke sides. They were a real bu%%%r to keep from corroding!

What about a viagated metallic lustre going from light to dark to highlight the spokes?

I nearly suggested the pink, but will hold back because i like you   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Definitely not the red you show above, sometimes less is actually more!
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

northernalex

i really like the red to be honest (on your diamond cuts) sorry everyone  s:) :) s:)
evileye_xc said:

Wabbitkilla

Linky

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Linky
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

Anonymous

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Let's all chip in a few quid and buy them for him!  s:D :D s:D

Wabbitkilla

See with anthracite and diamond cutting you get this affect;

or

which is quite unusual!

All of which i'm not sure would work with our wheels!
You've got me thinking about doing something like this now   s:? :? s:?

spit

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Linky

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Linky

You evil evil man  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

I'm staying open-minded about this, but until I got hold of the d-cut rears from EBay I hadn't really considered it as an option at all. I guess we won't fully appreciate whether or not it looks good in slate or a.n.other colour on stockers until someone tries it.

Plan for the moment I think is to s*d it and put the 15 rears on the front with new boots to get some steering back (  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  ). I'm cool with running odd front and rears for the sake of some grip!! Maybe revisit it once I've a better idea of just how much maintenance these d-cuts actually need.

celmacmat

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Linky

Linky
s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

That is brilliant, all you need next is the following and you are all set!

Celine
Black Porsche 968 Club Sport

Tags: