New HU is in!

Started by rob_g_clarkson, November 9, 2006, 15:31

rob_g_clarkson

My new HU is in... and over all I'm very happy with it. The handsfree and mp3 streaming bluetooth is superperb! And at last the stock speakers make some impresive noise!

I bought a Sont MEX BT5000:

the only problem I have is that I bought it from America, via Ebay, and it doesn't seem to support RDS  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  .

This is no great problem, but does anyone know if my system can be 'flashed' or something to enable this, surely it's possible  s:?: :?: s:?:   I can't imagine it's a hardware issue. Sony wouldn't build several different models with the same product model number, and have different internals would they?

I appreciate this isn't specficlly relating to an MR2 but some of you Audio guru's out there may be able to help  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

EDIT:

ps I owe a huge thanks to the number of posts I've found on this place in providing me with intructions & confidence to do this myself, this isn't normally the kind of thing I attempt, but I've saved about £40 on fitting! Group Hug everyone?

Anonymous

How are you finding the bluetooth kit in this?ow

I hear the mic is built into the actual h/u itself, whats the quality of call like from the other person end? Make any difference with the roof up or down?

Thanks

ps how much did you pay in total?

Anonymous

Quote from: "rob_g_clarkson"the only problem I have is that I bought it from America, via Ebay, and it doesn't seem to support RDS  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  .

This is no great problem, but does anyone know if my system can be 'flashed' or something to enable this, surely it's possible  s:?: :?: s:?:   I can't imagine it's a hardware issue. Sony wouldn't build several different models with the same product model number, and have different internals would they?

IIRC the US use differing frequencies to us (as in not as specific), so you'll have a hard time getting the radio stations over here. Although this could be with Jap units and not US ones, I may be getting confuzzled.

Anonymous

I had a US alpine unit with no probs, I think it may just be jap ones?

Anonymous

Must be. Ignore me, it's late and I'm tired.  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

aaronjb

Quote from: "perry190"I had a US alpine unit with no probs, I think it may just be jap ones?

Nope - US is different as well, they use a different frequency stepping over there.

However I think a lot of the HU's out today are either switchable between both steppings or simply use the smaller stepping (ours) all the time.  Once upon a time, though, it was something you had to be wary of - perhaps still is on cheaper HUs.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

rob_g_clarkson

Quote from: "JamesS"How are you finding the bluetooth kit in this?ow

I hear the mic is built into the actual h/u itself, whats the quality of call like from the other person end? Make any difference with the roof up or down?

Thanks

I've got to say the quality of the phone calls are brillo pads.. I rang the girlfriend to test it when I 1st installed it and she didn't realise I was talking via a hadsfree kit... I havn't tried it with the roof down yet, that will be a big test of any hadsfree kit I reckon, there is a lot of background noise going on when it's down....

I paid £177 plus £35 p+p

Also, I'm having no probs picking up stattions, I can get everything I need, just no RDS.... no biggie I guess - but I am a bit of a feautre junkie  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

aaronjb

You might be able to find out how to turn RDS on through a hidden menu.. I'm not sure RDS actually exists in the US, though, which is probably why it isn't working.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

Anonymous

I'm not sure it's called RDS, but they certainly have an RDS type system, that may or may not be the same as ours

Anonymous

Quote from: "rob_g_clarkson"
Quote from: "JamesS"How are you finding the bluetooth kit in this?ow

Thanks

I've got to say the quality of the phone calls are brillo pads.. I rang the girlfriend to test it when I 1st installed it and she didn't realise I was talking via a hadsfree kit... I havn't tried it with the roof down yet, that will be a big test of any hadsfree kit I reckon, there is a lot of background noise going on when it's down....

I paid £177 plus £35 p+p

Also, I'm having no probs picking up stattions, I can get everything I need, just no RDS.... no biggie I guess - but I am a bit of a feautre junkie  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Thanks very much for that, ive been looking at several bluetooth solutions and this does look like a great way to get what i want.

Ive seen the unit on ebay for the same price/cheaper did you have to buy anything else to get it to fit how you wanted it?

Thanks

rob_g_clarkson

I just bought the fitting kit, and with a little patience... BINGO!

By the way... I've since tried it with the roof down... and it was a non starter!!! And at motorway speeds with the roof up.... it was a non starter!

So I think it's safe to say.... for driving round town = jobs a good un!

Anything else... not up to much really.... shame... it for sale again now for just that reason!!!

aaronjb

I have the Pioneer DEH-P70BT - which also has Bluetooth but uses an external mic.. I've used that at motorway speeds top & down..

rob_g_clarkson

Quote from: "aaronjb"I have the Pioneer DEH-P70BT - which also has Bluetooth but uses an external mic.. I've used that at motorway speeds top & down..

that may well be my next port of call then... nice 1!

Anonymous

i did look at the pioneer but was favouring the sony as it had the mic built in, but now that seems a bit of a no go afterall.

Ok so you have the DEH-P70BT £239.99.
The same website has the DEH-P55BT for £174.99

Halfords has the DEH-P55BT for £249.99 including free fitting

Obviously i can see the benefit of a bit of diy but ive not done anything like that before. What fitting kit would i need?
Aaronjb is there much of a difference between the two h/u's above? It looks to me to be just the look of it, perhaps im missing something.

aaronjb

I'm not entirely sure on the differences James - I think the 55 came out after the 70 and is reported to have better Bluetooth support, but that's hearsay really.. When I bought mine the 70 was the only one I could get  s:) :) s:)

For fitting you're going to need an adapter to take up all the extra space that the double DIN unit takes up - pm "Matt" here, he does them at good prices and can (I think) get you the Autoleads cabling adapter as well which makes the whole thing more or less plug & play..

Anonymous

Quote from: "aaronjb"...pm "Matt" here, he does them at good prices and can (I think) get you the Autoleads cabling adapter as well which makes the whole thing more or less plug & play..

Cheers   s:) :) s:)    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

rob_g_clarkson

can i also say.. with a little research (on this web site) all the instructions on how to swap a HU are available... I'd never tried one myself... but I refuse to pay someone else, and it was so easy..... plus it give you a sense of achievment when it all just works!

Anonymous

Thanks for all your help guys, have pm'd matt, think i might go for the DEH-P55BT with the ipod adaptor works out £214.99 bit of a bargain i reckon!

Where did you locate your mic aaronjb?

Anonymous

Quote from: "rob_g_clarkson"My new HU is in... and over all I'm very happy with it. The handsfree and mp3 streaming bluetooth is superperb! And at last the stock speakers make some impresive noise!

I bought a Sont MEX BT5000:

ps I owe a huge thanks to the number of posts I've found on this place in providing me with intructions & confidence to do this myself, this isn't normally the kind of thing I attempt, but I've saved about £40 on fitting! Group Hug everyone?

After some deliberation I too have gone down the MEX-BT5000 route.  I don't suppose anyone has info on a suitable wiring adapter (Rob?)?

red_leicester

If you mean the wiring harness from the head unit to the car's ISO connector, you probably won't need one if it's a Sony.  That was the case with mine anyway; just plugged straight in.

If you do need one, I have the one I bought and didn't need still lying around, give me a shout if you want it (fiver incl. postage  s:?: :?: s:?:  )
[size=84]Jez[/size]
[size=75]2001 Red MR2[/size]

Anonymous

cheers,

I'll wait until the unit is delivered & if I need the loom adapter I'll take you up on the kind offer   s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

guys to uk mr2's come with single din headunits or double din, if they are single what do you guys do to take up the space of the other one. i used a storage cubby from a mk4 golf to fit my dvd player as its a single din and my car came with a double din

Anonymous

They all come with double din Sony units.

Matt on here supplies facia adapters to convert the hole (double din) in the dashboard to a single din with a cubby hole for storage space directly below the HU.

Tags: