Thor Racing MR-S Turbo Stage 3 Owner's Review

Started by Anonymous, December 26, 2006, 00:14

Anonymous

Hello,

For anyone who may be interested in purchasing a turbo kit  for their MR-2 Roadster / MR-S, please find below my honest and unbiased engineering assessment of the Thor Racing MR-S Turbo Stage 3 kit:

I've been running Thor Racing's kit on my car for a little over a year. I haven't commented on the kit until now as, unfortunately, I rarely get a chance to visit this forum for any length of time. However, with the number of turbo kits available for the MR2, I felt I should offer my impressions to anyone who might be considering such an upgrade.

The MR2 in standard form (with a driver of reasonable skill) is quick and satisfying to drive. However, some time ago, I wanted to increase the capability of the vehicle in pure performance terms, whilst maintaining the cohesive characteristics of the vehicle as a whole. I investigated the forced induction options available at the time and ultimately commissioned Thor Racing to design and build a custom solution. They prototyped the kit on my vehicle and the end result is the Stage 3 MR-S kit, as outlined on their website http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/shop/productsearch.asp?department=&category=&brand=&search=mrs.

In short, both the quality and performance of the kit are excellent. The quality of engineering can be seen in both the design (innovation, component selection,  flow optimisation, thermal management, integrated system functionality, etc) and implementation (quality / neatness of build, ease of maintenance access, etc).

I believe that the end result of said engineering is reflected in the performance figures. At a relatively low boost level, it offers class leading performance. A massive increase in both torque and power are gained (roughly 100% gain compared to naturally aspirated http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/MRS_Turbo_Stage_3_Fitte-MRSTS3_Install.asp). The car is superb to drive with incredible performance (in-gear / 0 – 60 acceleration), responsiveness, and zero lag in real world conditions.

Finally, I hope that this information is useful to anyone weighing up the various turbo options available for the MR-2. To sum up, Thor Racing's turbo kit is extremely well engineered, offers huge performance gains, and I would have absolutely no hesitation in recommending it.

If anyone has any questions etc that I can help with, please don't hesitate to ask.

Anonymous

Have you had any issues with any CELs after the install? Specifically, referring to the O2 sensors being placed right after each other in the downpipe? I only ask as other kits utilising that same setup have had issues before, so I was wondering how Thor got round it if you've had none?

Actually, have you had any running issues at all with it? No matter how slight, I'd be very interested to know.

Nice write-up, btw.  s8) 8) s8)

Tem

Quote from: "Ekona"Have you had any issues with any CELs after the install? Specifically, referring to the O2 sensors being placed right after each other in the downpipe? I only ask as other kits utilising that same setup have had issues before, so I was wondering how Thor got round it if you've had none?

There was another thread where I asked the same. IIRC, someone said it's ok, cause they are in a bend, not straight pipe.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Yup, that was me that said that. I just wanted to know if that had been the case in real life, and not just what Thor told me.  s;) ;) s;)

Anonymous

Quote from: "Ekona"Have you had any issues with any CELs after the install? Specifically, referring to the O2 sensors being placed right after each other in the downpipe? I only ask as other kits utilising that same setup have had issues before, so I was wondering how Thor got round it if you've had none?

Actually, have you had any running issues at all with it? No matter how slight, I'd be very interested to know.

Nice write-up, btw.  s8) 8) s8)

Hi,

Good question. Short answer is that I haven't experienced any issues. The car runs really well - as well post turbo installation as pre-conversion. I'd put this down to Toyota making solidly engineered base cars, extensive research into what works with the 1ZZ-FE and the vehicle in general, and good design by Thor Racing. I suspect that professional quality mapping is also critical.

To be honest, because I've never experienced any issues, I've never looked into the CELs / O2 sensors in great detail. I'm not sure exactly how Thor have made the configuration work, but I haven't had any problems with it.

Regarding any other potential issues, as the car's my daily driver, it has to be, and is, reliable. My objective has always been to develop the vehicle by increasing its strengths and reducing its weaknesses. The turbo conversion was simply one more step in this process and I was keen that the car be developed with balance, usability, response, ease of maintainability, and longevity in mind, as much as outright power.

Essentially, from a slightly different angle, I wanted as much torque / power as I could get without compromising the car's dynamic characteristics in a holistic sense, ie work along the lines of developing a well-rounded track car (handling, drivability, etc), rather than a drag strip only vehicle.

With this (or any other high torque / power conversion) the only other modification I'd definitely recommend, is an uprated clutch. Having said that, if one did not wish to do so, the car could be run at reduced boost levels (but still develop significantly more power / torque compared to naturally aspirated) on the standard clutch until more torque / power was desired.

Anyway, hope that helps. Any more questions, let me know!

PS. Ekona / Tem – Nice cars. VXR220; rare, and arguably a better driver's car than the equivalent Elise. MR2 looks smart too. Very nice modifications (front air dam, interior, wheels, turbo, etc).

loadswine

I really like the look of the Thor conversion, the guys at Thor were excellent when I had mine mapped there and if they did a twin exit exhaust, I think I might go for this in preference to the PE turbo that I already have. You don't live anywhere near my neck of the woods do you Speedjunkie? Be great to have a ride in yours.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

Quote from: "loadswine"I really like the look of the Thor conversion, the guys at Thor were excellent when I had mine mapped there and if they did a twin exit exhaust, I think I might go for this in preference to the PE turbo that I already have. You don't live anywhere near my neck of the woods do you Speedjunkie? Be great to have a ride in yours.

Hi Loadswine,

No problem - you're welcome to drop by and see the installation / come for a ride. I'll PM you info.

For the record, I think Thor Racing once said that they can do a twin-exit exhaust system in a similar style to the Hass kit.

spit

Welcome back matey (its Sean, isn't it??) - thought we'd lost you  s:? :? s:?  Thanks for finding the time to giving us a write-up on the kit - there's quite a bit of interest in FI options on the forum at the moment  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Just a couple of observations - if you've still got the stock air pipe between MAF and TB, you might want to keep an eye on the bellows. Mine split after 6 months at 8psi - nothing drastic that stopped the enjoyment because it sealed as the engine twisted under load, but it did send the AFR totally do-lally when lifting off. Something to watch out for.

Also, I may be alone in my views on the whole paired O2 thing, but irrespective of pipe shape and side-by-side or one-behind-the-other, I believe its inherently wrong for the ECU to be trimming each bank independently on the basis of the combined exhaust from both banks. I think the reason some of us have suffered more than others is down to how well matched our O2s have been. Mine switched at such different points that the ECU went into piston-melting mode - Alberto had only a light stumble (cured by the 2 into 1 fix) and others have had no problems at all.  s:? :? s:?  

Anyhoo, it'd be great if you can get along to a meet in the New Year so we can all get re-aquainted.

Go well
Ste
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

Quote from: "spit"Welcome back matey (its Sean, isn't it??) - thought we'd lost you  s:? :? s:?  Thanks for finding the time to giving us a write-up on the kit - there's quite a bit of interest in FI options on the forum at the moment  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Just a couple of observations - if you've still got the stock air pipe between MAF and TB, you might want to keep an eye on the bellows. Mine split after 6 months at 8psi - nothing drastic that stopped the enjoyment because it sealed as the engine twisted under load, but it did send the AFR totally do-lally when lifting off. Something to watch out for.

Also, I may be alone in my views on the whole paired O2 thing, but irrespective of pipe shape and side-by-side or one-behind-the-other, I believe its inherently wrong for the ECU to be trimming each bank independently on the basis of the combined exhaust from both banks. I think the reason some of us have suffered more than others is down to how well matched our O2s have been. Mine switched at such different points that the ECU went into piston-melting mode - Alberto had only a light stumble (cured by the 2 into 1 fix) and others have had no problems at all.  s:? :? s:?  

Anyhoo, it'd be great if you can get along to a meet in the New Year so we can all get re-aquainted.

Go well
Ste

Hey Spit,

Good to hear from you again   s:) :) s:)  , and thanks for your comments

When the kit was being designed, we spent a fair amount of time looking at the stock air pipe and really observing its behaviour under varying load conditions. Basically, nothing untoward was observed - it just worked as one would expect. I'd suggest that this is for various reasons:

- All of the MR-S turbo kits run relatively low boost. Compared to the fully forged set-ups on some Jap stuff 9 or even 12 psi is comparatively low. This in turn limits the forces (vacuum, vibration, etc) acting on 'ancillary' components.

- Interestingly, given the amount of torque being produced, the degree of engine rotation under full and full delta load is moderate and well within acceptable parameters. This would limit the magnitude of compression / tension which the pipe is subject to.

- Many production turbocharged vehicles run 'soft' intake pipes (Supras etc) whilst generating serious output figures. As long as the intake piping operates within a sensible percentage of its elastic limits under said forces, this option is quite reasonable (indeed, mechanical systems often benefit possessing from some degree of flexibility / damping).

Of course, I can only comment on my own experiences and observations, and, as you say, every MR2 (as with any machine) probably behaves slightly differently.

Meeting next year sounds good. I'm hoping to get up to The Pod again also, and hopefully a few track days if anyone's interested too   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

you sound very knowledgable there matey, do you work at Thor?

northernalex

Quote from: "perry190"you sound very knowledgable there matey, do you work at Thor?

I thought that too from the first post but didnt want to say anything.
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

Anonymous

Quote from: "northernalex"
Quote from: "perry190"you sound very knowledgable there matey, do you work at Thor?

I thought that too from the first post but didnt want to say anything.

He, he   s:D :D s:D  - nope, I'm a Project Manager (Aerospace Industry) with a background in Engineering (Electrical & Electronic / Software / bit of Mechanical). This is the kind of thing I spend most of my life working on.

Sadly, I've probably also spent far too much of my life and income on fast cars in various forms and so have probably also managed to gain a huge pile of 'useless' car-related knowledge!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I respect Thor Racing's Engineering capabilities, but what I've written truly is my honest opinion. As stated, I've been running the car in its turbo charged form for over a year, couldn't really find much info here on it, and thought that I should share a bit of info with anyone who might find it useful. Don't worry - I don't get commission or from Thor or benefit from this (in fact I've probably already spent too much money on the car in general when there are much more sensible (/boring) things to spend the money on!) but like I said I figured I'd put the info out there and people can to do with it as they wish.

Thanks for the comments though!   s:) :) s:)   As I said, I probably won't be able to come on here often, but am certainly happy to be involved and help where I can.

Mongo

After suffering with getting the Hass kit right I have to say that
looks like a great kit!!! It was only about $3500(1800) for the hass II kit
though.
Mongo only pawn, in game of life.

loadswine

Met up with Sean this afternoon and have to say that the Thor conversion is every bit as good as Sean has described. Blisteringly quick and the install is very neat indeed. The other good thing about the install is the fact that it is as well mannered as the standard car, with no extra vibrations or harshness. The exhaust is louder than my own, but even there ,I think Thor can do different arrangements.
One very interesting piece of kit that Sean has is a traction control system by Racelogic. This actually works very well , Sean can tell you more than I about setting it up, but the effect is undeniably superb. The launch control function is effective to say the least.
Here is a link to a few pics that I took:
 m http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f313/ ... th%20Sean/ m

Anonymous

you've been getting out and about a bit this weekend matey  s:) :) s:)

heathstimpson

Quote from: "perry190"you've been getting out and about a bit this weekend matey  s:) :) s:)
Oh yes our Nige's a very active member nowadays  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

spit

Thanks for the feedback Nigel. I haven't experienced the Racelogic first-hand but I've had it recommended to me several times now....sounds good.

Out of interest, what sort of mileage has been done since install?

loadswine

Okay, I actually ventured outside the house this weekend!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   I found I had a few hours when I could escape my ferrying duties with the kids and get out there. I arranged to meet up with Sean a while back and found a window to pop round to Stu's on Saturday as well. It just fitted in really.
Useful weekend though, learnt a bit more about the C2 install, no substitute for getting your hands dirty! Nice unit that, as well.
Getting back to the Thor setup, I think Sean said he's had it on the car for about a year, can't remember the mileage that he said he did, but it does get used a lot, I think its his daily drive.
No reported issues or returns to Thor in that time, I understand.
If you were going for pretty tall figures straight off, then I think this would be near the top of the list. I would choose it for myself as it looks well made and performs brilliantly, with solid mapping back up .  I like the way my PE responds , but it would be nice with a bit more grunt, but the Thor seems to have the best of both worlds. Mark and I were talking to the guys at Thor a few months ago and they said that their kit did have the attributes of quick spool up and good power ,and they look to be telling the truth .Be good to see it on a dyno day!

aaronjb

Quote from: "spit"Thanks for the feedback Nigel. I haven't experienced the Racelogic first-hand but I've had it recommended to me several times now....sounds good.

RL TC is the dogs danglies - I had it on my first 300ZX and I'm sure it saved my neck a couple of times  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

The Racelogic Traction Control is indeed an excellent system. Essentially it is a performance upgrade as it allows the optimum percentage slip to be set and maintained for various surface conditions (along with various other features). This results in the vehicle operating under maximum grip, speed, and safety levels.

Launch control is also excellent fun and very useful for quarter-mile runs etc. It allows full boost to be applied literally from the 'line', as well as controlling traction during the run.

The system on my car was installed by Thor Racing and I also had contact with Racelogic. Both companies are manned by very friendly, knowledgable, and helpful people and come highly recommended.

philster_d

I want it too, can you add the spark cut board later or is it now or never at purchase time ?

Anonymous

Quote from: "philster_d"I want it too, can you add the spark cut board later or is it now or never at purchase time ?

Sorry, not sure I understand the question?   s:? :? s:?  

The Racelogic TC cuts the power by cutting the fuel:  m http://www.racelogic.co.uk/?show=Tracti ... w_it_Works m

There is a 'spark cut' unit available but that's intended for cars without fuel injection:  m http://www.racelogic.co.uk/?show=Tracti ... -Spark_Cut m

spit

I've been led to believe that the spark cut is handy to have too ... we'll try to get that clarified   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Sean -
Quote from: "spit"Out of interest, what sort of mileage has been done since install?

Anonymous

Quote from: "spit"I've been led to believe that the spark cut is handy to have too ... we'll try to get that clarified   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Sean -
Quote from: "spit"Out of interest, what sort of mileage has been done since install?

Quite a few - about 16000 miles.

Anonymous

Quote from: "spit"I've been led to believe that the spark cut is handy to have too ... we'll try to get that clarified   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Sean -

Re fuel cut vs spark cut – there's a good technical explanation of the different methods at the link posted above  m http://www.racelogic.co.uk/?show=Tracti ... w_it_Works m  

To be honest, Racelogic really know their stuff (their system is fitted to Aston Martins, Lotus, etc, as well as throughout the professional motorsport industry). Their system really does work superbly  s:D :D s:D

Tags: