what oil in the TTET's

Started by Anonymous, January 26, 2007, 18:09

Anonymous

was just deciding on what oil to put in and I wondered if anyone knew what oil SP are putting in hte TTET's?

I'm keen on mobil 1 myself but have trouble finding garages that stock it (I can use my company fuel card for oil if I can find it in a garage   s;) ;) s;)   )

Liz

Its OW/40 hun. Mobil 1 do it, Leeber bought some from Costo apparently...but here is the interesting bit - despite being the recommended oil in the Turbo manual - if you read the TTE Essen report - TTE don't recommend it  s:? :? s:?  ??
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

markiii

either TTE changed tehir mind, or teh marketing people won teh battle upon release
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

kanujunkie

or TTE havn't got a clue?
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "markiii"either TTE changed tehir mind, or the marketing people won the battle upon release

My guess is that Toyota wanted them to recommend what's used in other Toyota's..  s:? :? s:?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

right then, just need to find a brand of petrol station that sells it in large cans and it'll be a freebie   s:) :) s:)

loadswine

Is the Fuchs oil that the "oilman " has on offer any good for the turbos?
Their lubricants are ace for the turbodiesels.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

markiii

I'm using teh silkolene 10w50 at teh mo and it's good stuff
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

loadswine

Sounds good to me.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

you wont go far wrong with silkolene  - I know many people who use it in highly strung race preped engines  - good stuff.

As above the brand of oil recommended has as much to do with marketing as anything else.

Anonymous

went for mobil 1  0W/40 in the end

1] TTE say its OK

2] Do lots of long high speed runs in europe for hours on end so didnt       want to go up to 50/60

3] The esso garage sold it, so it went on the company fuel card  s;) ;) s;)    s:) :) s:)

markiii

Quote from: "perry190"2] Do lots of long high speed runs in europe for hours on end so didnt       want to go up to 50/60

surely thats why you should?

Anonymous

well we could argue this one all day long  (as has been done before   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  )

Opie recommend 5W-40 for the 3S-GTE in medium-highly modified situations and strenuous use.. and as a proper synthetic sae 40 can hande high temps for prolonged periods due to its thermal stability, a 40 seems a good choice.

but overall TTE recommend it, so marketing aside they arnt going to recommend an oil thats bad for the engine.

could have gone up to a 50 but to be honest the TTE bit swayed me over  s;) ;) s;)

Anonymous

I should add, i've fitted an oil temp gauge, so if  the temps appear overly high when cruising at speed for durations I can easily swap over for no cost to me as my company supply my fuel/oil.

in the end you have to make a desision, and theres so much conflicting info, you just have to go for it   s;) ;) s;)

Tem

Quote from: "perry190"mobil 1  0W/40

2] Do lots of long high speed runs in europe for hours on end so didnt       want to go up to 50/60

Oh my.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   I hope you have an oil pressure gauge?

Just keep an eye on it when you stress the engine, ok?  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

markiii

Quote from: "perry190"I should add, i've fitted an oil temp gauge, so if  the temps appear overly high when cruising at speed for durations I can easily swap over for no cost to me as my company supply my fuel/oil.

in the end you have to make a desision, and theres so much conflicting info, you just have to go for it   s;) ;) s;)

bit of advice then, the RTV we discussed before, put a bead of it around teh edges fo teh timing chain tensioner plate. (the rhombus shaped one down and to teh right of teh manifold)

if your oil gets too thin it pisses out of there. mine hasn't lost a  drop that way since i did mine  :-) :-) :-)

kanujunkie

reminds me, i need to redo mine, got a small weep from it
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

any piccys showing this area?  is this the plate fixed on the right side of the engine?

Tem, yes I do have a pressure gauge, but most TTET's dont I would have thought?  so are they all going to have problems then??

markiii

I've seen even N/a weep oil around that cover if teh ouil gets too thin, teh turbo just aggravates it.

Anonymous

ok matey, so is this the plate bottom right, fixed on the side of the block?

bumpers off so might as well stick some loctite on there while i'm at it  s;) ;) s;)

kanujunkie

its on the aft face of the block, virtually on the corner, about 3-4" to the right of the manifold
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

is it this plate matey?

aaronjb

That's the badger
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

markiii

yep thats teh one

firepower

since i've had the tte turbo fitted the engine has sounded more tappety especialy when cold could this be the  0w-40 or am i  just  paranoid   s:? :? s:?
01 tte turbo, sp exhaust and down pipe, tte springs 190hp more power soon ? 205lb/ft
1/4 mile 14.6 s @ 90 .55 mph  ( at drag strip )

Tags: