Anyone got a TRD clutch?......

Started by Leeber, February 6, 2007, 10:48

Leeber

......How does it feel compared to the stock clutch? I'm looking for something that's as light as possible, the wife-to-be has to drive the car as well. I've thought about the Helix jobbie and that's probably my next port of call but I've been offered a deal on the TRD that's too good not to give it some serious consideration. TIA folks.
I\'m Pink, Therefore I\'m Spam.

Tem

Quote from: "Leeber"How does it feel compared to the stock clutch?

Better.  s;) ;) s;)  In every way. I've posted mored detailed review here, you can find it through search.  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

ninjinski

Quote from: "Leeber"......How does it feel compared to the stock clutch? I'm looking for something that's as light as possible, the wife-to-be has to drive the car as well. I've thought about the Helix jobbie and that's probably my next port of call but I've been offered a deal on the TRD that's too good not to give it some serious consideration. TIA folks.

I've recently installed the Exedy cerametallic and cant rate it highly enough - Apart from minimal judder in low gears (very minimal) its a nice feeling clutch and SP will order and fit it in a giffy!!

Just another option for you to look into mate!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Sable

PERF: TTE TURBO & exhaust, BC Coilovers Markii inlet TRD brace SP Downpipe Exedy Cerametalic Clutch TRD Short Shifter w brass bushings EBC discs/pads OMP steering wheel, front diffuser
ICE: JVC headunit JBL P652s Alpine SWD1600 & 2000 woofers Kenwood 600W amp
EXTERNAL: Mr T spoiler. black brake calipers Dynamat Toyota dust caps Dev\'s keyhole covers Simon\'s hairpins
INTERNAL: Red leather Carbon sill guards TRD stickers Mongo deflectors Chrome gear & dial surrounds Gregg\'s custom logo plate Taurec gauges

Leeber

Cheers guys, IIRC Stu's car had the Exedy organic clutch and that was a bit heavy for my liking, not to mention the fact that the other half would start whining like a ropey gearbox if she had to contend with it!
Tem, I've just tried searching through all your old posts for that review, but there is 145 pages of them, also tried various keywords including "TRD clutch review". Any chance you could post a link? TA

Tem

Quote from: "Leeber"Tem, I've just tried searching through all your old posts for that review, but there is 145 pages of them, also tried various keywords including "TRD clutch review". Any chance you could post a link? TA

Oops...didn't realize it would be that hard to find it.  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

I'll try to remember my initial impression of it:
1) The clutch pedal became lighter than stock, loved it

2) It grabs harder than stock, but still not too hard at all. You can easily get the car rolling without touching the throttle at all. Good feature to have in traffic and parking lots etc.

3) It withstands abuse a lot more than stock. Even if you burn it, it's just fine after a minute. And it wears a lot less than the stock did. And I have abused it a lot.

All in all, it's better than stock, but not too harsh. It's a typical TRD item, which could be stock on the car and even your granny wouldn't mind it.  s8) 8) s8)

4) I did manage to break the disc after 4 years. I guess it doesn't last forever with +300hp.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  However I liked it so much that I bought another one, the disc isn't too much anyway.

Leeber

Thanks Tem, that's just the sort of info I needed to make a decision. Can I ask where you got the disc? I've got the cover plate sorted, TTE think it should be fine with a stock disc but I figured that if I'm going to all the trouble of replacing the cover plate, I might as well put a decent disc in at the same time. Thanks again for the info mate, it's a great help.

spit

Slight drift but useful as I don't think its been answered yet .....

I'm not entirely convinced that the weight on the clutch pedal is all down to the clutch. Mine has always been quite heavy (both stock and Exedy organic), Gazz's has always been so light I almost punched through his footwell when I tried it! (both stock and Helix). Stu's was somewhere in between (stock).

Any thoughts on this?
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Leeber

Funny you should say that Ste. When I took the car to the local Mr T's, the mechanic who road-tested it commented on how light the clutch was, so much so that he initially thought that it had been changed as part of the TTE conversion. When I told him it hadn't he said that they're normally stiffer than that. The only other manual 2's I've driven are Stu's and SP's so I'm not really in a position to make a comparison. Steve (Jigwar) drove mine and I believe his car has a stock clutch, I wonder if he noticed a difference?

Jigwar

Quote from: "Leeber"Steve (Jigwar) drove mine and I believe his car has a stock clutch, I wonder if he noticed a difference?

which is my cue to say...... no   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  Certainly I didn't feel as if my foot was going to go through the floor, nor that I was getting a good muscle workout. Which I'd say means we both have light clutches since I drive mine daily in traffic and don't get tired of using the clutch. And since it sounds as if changing for a TRD won't change things for the worse, I'd say go for it.

Steve
Jigwar
Past: \'51 plate
Present: \'06 plate TTET\'ed

firepower

i had a uprated helix sports clutch fitted at sp when they fitted the tte turbo and i noticed right away how much lighter the pedal was although i had expected it to feel heavier
01 tte turbo, sp exhaust and down pipe, tte springs 190hp more power soon ? 205lb/ft
1/4 mile 14.6 s @ 90 .55 mph  ( at drag strip )

ninjinski

I have to say that with the Exedy Cerametalic I noticed no difference in weight from stock its still got a nice medium balanced feel!!    s:D :D s:D
Sable

PERF: TTE TURBO & exhaust, BC Coilovers Markii inlet TRD brace SP Downpipe Exedy Cerametalic Clutch TRD Short Shifter w brass bushings EBC discs/pads OMP steering wheel, front diffuser
ICE: JVC headunit JBL P652s Alpine SWD1600 & 2000 woofers Kenwood 600W amp
EXTERNAL: Mr T spoiler. black brake calipers Dynamat Toyota dust caps Dev\'s keyhole covers Simon\'s hairpins
INTERNAL: Red leather Carbon sill guards TRD stickers Mongo deflectors Chrome gear & dial surrounds Gregg\'s custom logo plate Taurec gauges

markiii

RPS has a nice light feel
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

kanujunkie

Quote from: "spit"I'm not entirely convinced that the weight on the clutch pedal is all down to the clutch. Mine has always been quite heavy (both stock and Exedy organic), Gazz's has always been so light I almost punched through his footwell when I tried it! (both stock and Helix). Stu's was somewhere in between (stock).

Quote from: "markiii"RPS has a nice light feel

i agree with you Ste, pass on why, but i do agree, i've had the RPS and it could be really damn heavy, which contradicts Mark, but then when Dan tried it ages ago he was confused as to why it was so heavy when his was so light for the same clutch. Strange i agree, but there doesn't seem to be a constant on this in roadsters  s:? :? s:?
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Leeber

Thanks guys, I think I'll give the TRD offering a go then.

Anonymous

ive got the whole TRD clutch including the stainless steel lines!

top notch stuff!!  s:D :D s:D    

at the same time get the lightened flywheel aswell! you carnt go wrong! but one piece of advice if youre thinking of going SP240 you may want to go for the TRD ceramic plate for that extra power!

but hey thats if you want SP240 and if you go for TRD, if the guys havent persauded you to go for something else   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Leeber

Where did you get them from, if you don't mind me asking?

aaronjb

Quote from: "kanujunkie"i agree with you Ste, pass on why, but i do agree, i've had the RPS and it could be really damn heavy, which contradicts Mark, but then when Dan tried it ages ago he was confused as to why it was so heavy when his was so light for the same clutch. Strange i agree, but there doesn't seem to be a constant on this in roadsters  s:? :? s:?

FWIW I thought your clutch was really nice Stu - I had no trouble getting to grips with it pootling up & down Mark's road, or giving it a blat on the open road.

You have the flywheel as well, don't you?  (I know, I don't think anyone shares my opinion of the flywheel on a turbo car  s;) ;) s;)  because I thought yours was really easy to drive at slow speeds - over the speedhumps, for example)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

http://www.newtoyotaparts.com

this is carson toyota! if you can speak to a guy call Steve Ganz! he will sort you out with parts!

this is where i source all my parts! its like 50% discount   s:D :D s:D  alot cheaper than any UK dealer even if you get stung for customs!!!

Tem

Quote from: "Leeber"Can I ask where you got the disc?

Sure...I'm not 100% sure though, but I think I got it through Japanparts.  s8) 8) s8)

Quote from: "spit"I'm not entirely convinced that the weight on the clutch pedal is all down to the clutch.

I'm sure you're right, the clutch+plate itself is just part of the system. I was just comparing my system with stock clutch+plate to TRD clutch+plate. And it became lighter.  s8) 8) s8)

Leeber

Jeez Tem, do you not sleep?   s:) :) s:)

Tem

Quote from: "Leeber"Jeez Tem, do you not sleep?   s:) :) s:)

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Usually I get to work before 6am, cause I love to get off around 2pm.  s8) 8) s8)

kanujunkie

you should try being a student again Tem, no work on friday and at worst 8-3.30, most days 8-12  s8) 8) s8)  

shame its not permanent  s:( :( s:(
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Ernie Ball

you should try being a lecturer.  then it is permanent.

Leeber

Well this should make you all laugh. I was admiring my nice new TRD clutch cover when I noticed this:

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, on the one hand I know I've got a quality product but on the other hand I'm not sure how well received it will be when the other half gets in the car. I sure hope your theory about the individual car having more to do with the pedal pressure than the clutch plate holds true in my case.
Anyway, I've been having a bit of trouble getting hold of a TRD disc so I called Exedy in Runcorn to ask about compatibility with their retail product line. It turns out that the TRD products are exactly the same as their own product line, it just has a TRD stamp on it. Furthermore, they supply the motorsport divisions of pretty much every other Jap manufacturer as well, including Nissan, Subaru and Mitsubishi to mention a few.
Now isn't that a turn up for the books?   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

loadswine

So what Exedy clutch is the TRD unit equivalent to ?
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Tags: