6 Speed versus 5 speed

Started by Anonymous, February 11, 2007, 19:26

Anonymous

basically how should you drive a six speed if you have been used to driving a 5 speed?!

can you readline each gear in the same way as in the five gear box?

ninjinski

Quote from: "bossman23780"basically how should you drive a six speed if you have been used to driving a 5 speed?!

can you readline each gear in the same way as in the five gear box?

Personally I drive gears 1-5 as I did with the 5 speed (except now I try to drive to my torque curve since having the TTET installed) - 6 in my mind is a motorway cruising or fuel saving gear   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Sable

PERF: TTE TURBO & exhaust, BC Coilovers Markii inlet TRD brace SP Downpipe Exedy Cerametalic Clutch TRD Short Shifter w brass bushings EBC discs/pads OMP steering wheel, front diffuser
ICE: JVC headunit JBL P652s Alpine SWD1600 & 2000 woofers Kenwood 600W amp
EXTERNAL: Mr T spoiler. black brake calipers Dynamat Toyota dust caps Dev\'s keyhole covers Simon\'s hairpins
INTERNAL: Red leather Carbon sill guards TRD stickers Mongo deflectors Chrome gear & dial surrounds Gregg\'s custom logo plate Taurec gauges

Anonymous

has the 6 speed got a slightly higher top speed and when are you supposed to change gear, is it at the same change as with the 5?!

im struggling to understand the gains of a six speed, especially if you chose an SP240 package that would negate the early change because you could keep the power on right up to the readline?!

ninjinski

Not so sure - but mind you would be hitting well over 130mph at that stage in 5th regardless!!!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Sable

PERF: TTE TURBO & exhaust, BC Coilovers Markii inlet TRD brace SP Downpipe Exedy Cerametalic Clutch TRD Short Shifter w brass bushings EBC discs/pads OMP steering wheel, front diffuser
ICE: JVC headunit JBL P652s Alpine SWD1600 & 2000 woofers Kenwood 600W amp
EXTERNAL: Mr T spoiler. black brake calipers Dynamat Toyota dust caps Dev\'s keyhole covers Simon\'s hairpins
INTERNAL: Red leather Carbon sill guards TRD stickers Mongo deflectors Chrome gear & dial surrounds Gregg\'s custom logo plate Taurec gauges

Anonymous

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

... is that all! you slow coach   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

kanujunkie

gears 1-5 in a 6 speed box is the same as the 5 gears in a 5 speed box, so you'd drive them the same but when a 5 speed box runs out of gears a 6 speed box still has another
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

red_leicester

That was almost Spinal Tap-esque Stu!  s:) :) s:)
[size=84]Jez[/size]
[size=75]2001 Red MR2[/size]

Anonymous

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

custardavenger

I've been thinking about doing the swap myself. I do alot of motorway miles and would love the extra gear but then I love the position of reverse in the five speed.

One question. Does the six speed box have an LSD? sure I read it somewhere.
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

markiii

all uk roadster boxes have an lsd
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

All UK   EU gearboxes do. Jap  US ones had it as an option.

*EDIT* Too slow  s:( :( s:(

kanujunkie

all uk spec cars have an LSD

iirc the LSD is seperate from the gearbox anyway, but dont quote me 100% on that
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Still, not as slow as Stu  s;) ;) s;)

kanujunkie

ya buggers  **shakes fist in the air**

s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

aaronjb

Quote from: "kanujunkie"iirc the LSD is seperate from the gearbox anyway, but dont quote me 100% on that

It's inside the same casing, but it's not really part of the 'gearbox', if you see what I mean..  You can change it without having to dismantle drive gears, but it's not exactly an operation for the novice IIRC.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

mrsmr2

Toyota only really mentioned the LSD when the facelift was released hence a lot of people quote it arrived with the 03s.

However, the LSD has always been there.
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

custardavenger

Cheers guys. So are you saying I've got one then. LOL.

So am i right to believe it's got it's own oil cavity? Hmm maybe thats where the oil is leaking from.
Project Custard Clicky

Tem

Quote from: "custardavenger"So am i right to believe it's got it's own oil cavity? Hmm maybe thats where the oil is leaking from.

LSD is inside the transmission, it's using the same oil with it.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

custardavenger

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "custardavenger"So am i right to believe it's got it's own oil cavity? Hmm maybe thats where the oil is leaking from.

Yeah. just had a look at it in the manual. Guess I'll split the box when I do the clutch/flywheel.

Ta
Project Custard Clicky

Anonymous

Quote from: "custardavenger"
Quote from: "Tem"

Yeah. just had a look at it in the manual. Guess I'll split the box when I do the clutch/flywheel.

Ta
The clutch and flywheel are accessible when the transaxle has been separated from the engine.
The differential is not.
Based on your post I'd warn you off going in past replacing the clutch.

custardavenger

Don't worry WTS, I've done a couple of gearboxes before and though I don't know much about the 2's box now. I'll do my homework before I start.

Can't just ignore an oil leak.
Project Custard Clicky

spit

Dumb question of the day:

How do you determine whether a 'box (off the car) is 5 or 6 and if it has LSD? They all look the same to me  s:? :? s:?
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Tem

Quote from: "spit"How do you determine whether a 'box (off the car) is 5 or 6 and if it has LSD? They all look the same to me  s:? :? s:?

See if you can find 5 or 6 gears (and reverse) with the selector shaft?  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Reverse is opposite on them.

5sp is away from the driver and back.
6sp is towards the driver and forward.
Of course, over there its just the opposite from that.
5sp will be towards the driver and back.
6sp will be away from the driver and forward.

If its out of the vehicle its tricker as they share housings. All 6speeds will have "C60" stamped in multiple places but so will the 5sp. However, on the USDM 5SP theres a "C15" on the outside wherease the 6sp has C60 in the same spot.

You can also compare shift selector shaft housings if you know what at least one of them looks like.

For the LSD they only sure way short of disassembly is to look thru the transaxle from the axle holes. If you can see daylight then no LSD. If its completely blocked its because of the LSD.

The method where one puts both wheels in the air and spins one of them doesnt always provide conclusive results. Sometimes both wheels will spin the same way sometimes they wont. Depends on whether the LSD requires some torque difference in order to 'engage'.

philster_d

So does the 6 have a higher final drive ratio or not ?

Tags: